PDA

View Full Version : Walking distances from DLH and PPH to Maingates??

Marceline
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I am planning a spring DLR trip with my DD and MIL who has some back issues. Between DLH and PPH which is the closest to the maingates?

The walk from PPH looks like a little bit of a hike on google maps, but DLH doesn't look much closer. On the ground is there a big difference? Would it be troublesome for a 65 y.o. lady with a bad back?

I know the GCH is the closest of them all, but I don't know if my MIL wants to go into that price bracket.:confused: Is the closeness and private CA entrance worth the extra bucks?

Thanks in advance for any info and opinions.:mickey:

tinkwest
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
If walking is an issue you might want to consider the GCH. It is super convenient.

From DLH to Disneyland gates, maybe 500 yards (?). Add a couple hundred more, at most, for PPH. Does that sound right?

TexasPrincessAurora
07-07-2008, 11:10 PM
We went in December 2006 and stayed at GCH. However we ate breakfast at PPH one morning and walked to the parks from there...and had dinner one night at DLH and walked to there from the parks. The distance between the theme park gates and PPH & DLH is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the distance between the gates and GCH. The hotel entrance direct to DCA is so convenient. The entrance to DL is just a very short walk. PPH and DLH seemed to take forever to reach...they just seemed like a very long walk. All the way through DTD to DLH and even further to PPH. If the walk is a concern and the ease and comfort is needed you will be glad you spent the extra $$ on GCH.

MegaDisney
07-08-2008, 03:11 AM
The closest hotel to both park entrances and DtD is the GCH.

There are good neighbor hotels closer to the park entrances than the other two Resort Hotels. They aren't as nice but they are definately closer and cheaper. The Best Western Park Place, and any adjacent properties are the closest to the front gates.

Between the DLH and PP, the DLH is closer to the entrances to both parks. You can use the Monorail from DtD to Disneyland and the GCH entrance to DCA.

ghoofie
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Candy Cane Inn is only 250 yards.

Marceline
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
We went in December 2006 and stayed at GCH. However we ate breakfast at PPH one morning and walked to the parks from there...and had dinner one night at DLH and walked to there from the parks. The distance between the theme park gates and PPH & DLH is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the distance between the gates and GCH. The hotel entrance direct to DCA is so convenient. The entrance to DL is just a very short walk. PPH and DLH seemed to take forever to reach...they just seemed like a very long walk. All the way through DTD to DLH and even further to PPH. If the walk is a concern and the ease and comfort is needed you will be glad you spent the extra $$ on GCH.

Dang. This is what I suspected. If I were footing the bill for this trip I would go for GCH in a heartbeat but this is my MIL's dime this time.

I am such a spoiled Disney snob that I don't want to stay at a non-Disney property but gosh......walking distance means alot. Does a stay at a Good Neighbor hotel take away from the magic that I am used to, or will it do the job?

I could always offer to pay the extra $$ that the CGH would cost. Hmmmmmmm

TexasPrincessAurora
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
We LOVED the GCH. It just oozes Disney magic. If you can swing it one way or another, I'd go for it. I think all around you'll be happiest if you do.

FYI, definitely try and do some character meals while DLR...in my opinion they are much better than at WDW as far as character interaction.

Marceline
07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Update for any who may care...... My MIL saw the light of the GCH all on her own! She wanted a place where she can get a massage and sleep in without having a long walk or bus ride to meet up with us. So, the Grand Californian it is!:yay:

I am so excited about the Arts and Crafts theme. woohoo

TexasPrincessAurora
07-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Congrats! So happy for you! You will love it! Be sure and try out the DGC restaurants. Amazing! They have a great character meal and the Napa Rose can't be beat for fine dining!

tinkwest
07-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Update for any who may care...... My MIL saw the light of the GCH all on her own! She wanted a place where she can get a massage and sleep in without having a long walk or bus ride to meet up with us. So, the Grand Californian it is!

You might want to request a room near the lobby as just the walk down the hallways to some of the rooms can be quite a hike.

doombuggy
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
You might want to request a room near the lobby as just the walk down the hallways to some of the rooms can be quite a hike.

I agree. Just stayed there in February and you do walk quite a bit just to get to DTD, and then out to the gates of the parks. My room had a very nice view of the monorail however!

DLH is a great hotel, but the walk would vary between towers. The closest one is definately more than 500 yards away from the front gate, however. and the Candy Cane Inn is maybe 250 feet from the back parking lot, not the front gate. :)

Have a wonderful trip! :thumbsup: