PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion heebie-jeebies?

disneycutie165
07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I was only ten the first time we rode Haunted Mansion, so I was a little creeped out.:paranoid:
It was MNSSHP, so it made it worse. This women in front of us was walking to her "doom buggy" and one of the workers jumped at her and yelled. That really scared me!:scared: I just wanted to know if anybody's kids felt scared, because I was!

(P.S.- I am easily scared, even by HM, so don't tease me!)

laward32
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
My younges DD was a little worried when she rode it, but she really wanted to. She ended up loving it. I love it, it is one of my most favorite rides.
I have to tell a story about HM. A couple of trips ago, as we were herded into the stretching room and told to go to the "dead" center of the room, the CM was walking around making sure everyone was past the line around the edge. I was busy paying attention to my two DD's and the CM came up right behind me and quietly said "BOO". I about jumped right out of my skin. My girls, mom and dad thought it was hilarious. The CM never broke character either. That's what I love about WDW.:hmghost:

divinedi
07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Mhy youngest daughter, 18 now, doesn't like HM but she always goes on anyway, the only part she doesn't like is when things 'pop' out at her, like the 'people' that pop out of their graves:secret:. We had a great laugh the last time we were there, when we were in the stretching room, there was a woman that annoyingly kept asking someone if they were getting scared, then they turned the lights out, and when they came back on, the CM was standing right in front of the annoying woman, scared the beejeepers out of her and she screamed, everyone else laughed:laughing:, it was great!

disneygeek84
07-07-2008, 11:16 PM
My youngest sister who's 18 can't even hear the music without having nightmares. She can't quite put her finger on why it creeps her out so much, but it does. And she's been going since she was a baby. We usually can drag her on it at least once, but she's getting old enough now that she can wait somewhere else while the rest of us ride.

Funforall
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
When I was little I was worried about riding but would never let on. My oldest son does not care what anybody thinks- he is not going on. He'll be 12 in a couple of days and I'm hoping he'll get better.

Minnie Imagineer
07-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride, but the bulter still scares me every time!!!

Septbride2002
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
From my 2004 Trip Report ----> Creepy Thin Man

We are welcomed into the stretching room by a cast member very much in character his name I believe was Altrudo or something close to it. He is a little taller then me, dark hair, dark eyes, and reminds me a bit of Creepy Thin Man from the movie “Charlie’s Angels” We go into the stretching room and we head to the back but don’t stand against the walls. The butler announces that we are to move our bodies away from his walls. Hehehe. Now next to me is a woman who I’m afraid to say did not have a good grasp on reality. She kept telling me how some of the ghost in the mansion are real and that the CM’s freaked her out. I’m kinda nodding but watching the paintings on the wall. Our of the corner of my eye I see something and when I turn my head Creepy Thin Man (aka CTM) is about 2 inches from my face just staring at me. I jumped a bit and smiled at him but he just kept staring. I wasn’t listening to the spiel anymore but he snapped his fingers at me just as the lights went out. Now I have to admit I was a bit hesitant to look when the lights came on but the CTM was gone and doors opened. We start to head out but again the woman stops me to tell me that CTM scared her and before I know it he is behind her and when she turns around she gets the start of her life. I kinda chuckle and start moving towards the Doombuggies. DH is to the right of me and I turn to tell him that CTM really creeped me out in the room and kinda scared me – he then points and guess who is to the left of me staring at me again about 2 inches from me. Yep Creepy Thin Man! I let out this scream that just echoed down the hall. It sounded something like “AAAHHHHH! SSSTOOOPPP ITTT!” And as the word “it” is coming out of my mouth I proceed to shove the CTM against the wall! Now this was totally done without me thinking so please don’t flame me for assaulting a Cast Member. He literally scared me out of my wits and I reacted. Only when he hit the wall did the CTM start to break character and actually smile. And then he sulked off – people in line were cracking up and I started to laugh as well. When we get in our doombuggie I turn to dh and said – I hit him. I didn’t mean to and I am feeling bad about it. DH is just laughing at me saying that the guy didn’t realize what he was getting into. (One night I actually decked my brother for scaring me). During the whole ride I kept looking over my shoulder thinking CTM would be there. As we left the ride I looked for him but didn’t see him. I’m telling you the whole time walking To Splash Mountain I kept looking over my shoulder – that guy really creeped me out.

KineGirl
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I scare easy too in real life (I can watch scary movies all day though) and I was 22 the first time my family went to the World. I was really scared about trying HM since other "haunted houses" freak me out. But my Dad assured me no one jumped out at you or chased you with an axe. We rode and I loved it! In fact when I got out of the Doom Buggy, I felt all big and full of myself and I turned to my Dad and said "that wasnt scary at all" One of the CMs grabbed me on the shoulder and said "Boo!" LOL I jumped and then laughed - it was a great first experience. Now HM is my alltime favorite ride in the World.

indytraveler
07-08-2008, 11:49 AM
All of my kids have been apprehensive to go on the ride when they were little. I tried about age 5-6 to get them on. My daughters were ok at that age but my "tough guy" son wouldn't go on it until he was older. Fortunately he saw it before the renovations b/c it was scary towards the end. Now we've seen it since and it would be more scarier if hadn't seen it before. I just enjoy the stretching room when lights go out.:D

tinklover
07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
First time I went on HM was when i was 5, almost 30 years ago. lol well i was so frieghtened i was crying and begging my mom not to take me on it . well then there was a cm at the front door when you first go into teh building . he looked at me and said listen if you smile teh ghosts will not harmn you or scare you.my mom said she kept looking down at me and each time i looked like this :D. so last year i take my girls for teh first time in May. my oldest daughter at teh time is 4 and i tell her exactly what they told me and she has teh same look on her face but by teh end of teh ride is in my arms with her head over my shoulder so she can;t see anything. lol this yeah she did better she has this thing with teh stretching room she DOES NOT like it one bit but then is fine once we get on the doombuggies.

JasonH
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
It was my first trip to WDW, 1984. Before going there however we had visited family that just recently moved to Florida (a 2 hour drive to WDW at most is as good as you can get sometimes). Anyway, my uncle decides to tell me about how scary the HM is. Now mind you, I was only 7, Nightmare On Elm Street had just recently came out, the Friday The 13th movies were in full swing, and on top of it all, at Six Flags St. Louis (less than an hour drive for me) had an all-season long haunted house that absolutely scared me at the time. :scared: So with all of that in mind, you can imagine how this youngun didn't want to go through it at all. :noway: I didn't even know it was a ride, I thought it was all walk-through like a normal haunted house. Well, the thought had put on the backburner after we left to go to WDW. It didn't come back to the forefront of my mind until we're actually going into the line for it. We had stopped at the main doors with only one person in front of us. My mind just raced and I started crying :sob: telling my mom I don't want to go through it. My mom keeps trying to tell me it's alright, there's nothing to be scared of. The kind lady that was in front of us, bless her soul, tried doing the same thing, telling me that she's gone through it several times before and absolutely loves it, nothing to be frightened of at all. I try to calm down some and go through with it all. Needless to say, I make it through with no problems. :whew: And the funny thing about it now.....it became my fave ride then and there and is still my :number1: to this day! :funny: :hmghost:

PrincessTracie
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
On our first visit to Disneyland (in 1989 I think), I was 7 years old and when we got to the Haunted Mansion I was aprehensive about going on the ride. When we got into the stretching room my dad had to carry me throughout the entire ride because I was too scared and had my head buried in his neck! LOL! Now that I am 25, its one of my favorite rides. Go figure! LOL!!

Imagineer1981
07-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I still hate the spooks that pop up at you in the attic and grave yard...scary!!!

sleeping beauty77
07-08-2008, 07:28 PM
The first time I went to Disneyland I was 7 years old. Which is funny,I just read one of the previous posters was 7 . It was 1985 though. Anyhoo, I've always been a chicken. So at the end of the ride where ghosts hitch hike and go home with you. Scared the daylights out of me. Now I'm a big girl and I know it's not real. Right?:hmghost:

WhiteRose1
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I posted a bit about my experiences on this ride. My brother and I sat together and my parents were in front in another doombuggy. my brother kept me occupied so I would not look at the super scary stuff (I was 6!) and this is the funny part...my mother did not expect the cars to tip backwards when they go up around the house, and she yelled "Oh! Nicky! Nicky! (My Dad's name is Nick, duh...) and then a tissue comes flying over the buggy she was in and lands to the side of my brother.

My brother said it was a 'baby ghost' ...rofl.

Apparently she was so startled by the buggy tilting, her hand went up in the air, and the tissue she was using to blow her nose flew out of her hand, and landed next to us.

Baby ghost, indeed. How do you get a tissue to dance? Put a little boogie in it!