PDA

View Full Version : CM's- enjoy disney?

Minnie Imagineer
07-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I have wanted to be a CM forever! I want to do the college program ina few years because obviously, I love Disney. But now, I have a job at a small shore-town amusement park. I have had the job for 3 years.
For 15 years, ever since I was 2, I loved going to this amusement park!
I was wondering if anyone is or has been a CM, does Disney World become boring or non-magical after a while? If so, I wouldn't want to do the program (but I really want to!).

Main Street Jim
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Well....LOL...there's good - and bad (PM me...) - things about working here. I'm currently a CM in the Magic Kingdom, the most popular theme park in the world. You get your rude - and "stupid" - guests all the time. The pay ain't all that great. I'm living with roommates because I can't afford my own place right now - and I'm 38 years old. BUT - if I didn't love this place, I wouldn't have stayed for seven-plus years (I'm full-time), or fought to get my job back after being (what I thought was) "unjustly" fired for my *ahem* "bad guest service" and "complaints" for doing my job. But the love of this place is what keeps me here. The benefits are great (medical/dental, free park tickets, etc.). I grew up about an hour and a half from here, so I've always been around Walt Disney World. The 99,000 GREAT guests more than make up for the few "bad guests" that we get. Where I'm working now, the management team is great, I get along with everyone, the teamwork amongst the Cast is outstanding, more than in any other area that I've worked.

Another great thing about working here, is that you can transfer to a different area every six months, provided your "record card" will allow. Don't like MK? Go to Epcot. Don't care for Attractions? Move to Food/Beverage. Not much for dealing with 100,000 guests at the theme parks? Go to the water parks. Wanna be a electrician? Go for it (we have 4-year apprenticeship programs for carpenters, electricians, and mechanics).

And to answer your questions:

Does it become boring? Depends on what you're doing. Every day where I work, there's always some "adventure" or "mishap" waiting to happen...

Does it ever become "non-magical"? Not to me. One thing about being a CM - all the "backstage stuff" we get to see and do. Got a Disney ID? You can pretty much go where you want - I've been backstage at all four theme parks at least a dozen times each. Cool Cast activities - Canoe Races of the World on the Rivers of America (coming up next week, as a matter of fact! Not open to the general public...)! Cast discounts on just everything - dining, resorts, movie tickets, etc. I've got friends in just about every area of operation (or "line of business") - Entertainment, Resorts, Food/Beverage, Water Parks, Downtown Disney, all four theme parks, all over the place!

I love my job!

joanna71985
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have wanted to be a CM forever! I want to do the college program ina few years because obviously, I love Disney. But now, I have a job at a small shore-town amusement park. I have had the job for 3 years.
For 15 years, ever since I was 2, I loved going to this amusement park!
I was wondering if anyone is or has been a CM, does Disney World become boring or non-magical after a while? If so, I wouldn't want to do the program (but I really want to!).

I love working at Disney!! I am currently on my 4th CP, and want to make Disney my career. I have met so many awsome people down here.

smatterchu
07-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Granted I haven't been at WDW for a long time, but it's still magical to me.....sometimes moreso...

I have come back to the parks as a guest on my days off (with my kids) and it's SO FUN actually seeing friends at the parks. I love getting to say Hi to fellow CM's that I see there. :cloud9:

Not only that - in just a short while, I have learned SO MUCH cool stuff that I never would have known as just a 'local' -- it's so fun..

-And I totally get starstruck when I see the characters. June (Little Einstein) waved at me from a golf cart last month (she was heading onstage) and I just giggled and waved back -- made my day!! :mickey:

I get this goofy grin every time I drive onto property -- it's the best!! The energy I get from the guest interaction is incredible - I just love it!! I'm having a great time!!

disneygeek84
07-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I wanted to do the college program but never got a chance...however...my sister did get a chance. She was there for Spring '07 and she LOVED IT. Her and her roommates are all going back in a month for a trip to revisit everyone and she went right after Christmas and got to stay with friends who still work down there so they got her in for free and everything. Overall, I think it was a great experience for her and I really wish that I had gotten the chance to do it, but oh well. If fact, she enjoyed it so much that she has talked our little sister into doing it next year or the year after. If nothing else, it's a great learning experience for anyone and you get to be in the most magical place on earth :mickey:

Camping Mom
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
My son has been a CM for 3 weeks and nearly every day he calls or texts me "I LOVE IT HERE" so yes, there is still magic when you work at the parks. Of course, he is still a rookie, but he just loves the atmosphere.

Some CM's we have met have been at Disney for years and years...one works at Trails End. He is about to hit 30 years this month. He said he looks forward to work everyday. No, the pay isn't great, but if you work hard and climb the ladder, you can advance to other jobs.

You can't begin to live your dream and climb the ladder to success until your foot is on the rung.

LauraF
07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
My sister did the CP twice several years ago and she still loves WDW. She was a lifeguard at the Boardwalk and took guests out for fishing excursions when not at the pool. I know she did some F&B stuff for a while too, but I don't remember if it was Epcot/MGM or both.

She never minded when the family would come to visit and we'd want to hang out with her at the parks. She said she went to at least one park on every day off because it was so much fun to go, even if she wanted to rest.

In fact I was just speaking to her about this past weekend - she still gets excited when talking about going and I'm hoping to arrange a "girls" trip soon. She would still be there working at WDW, but she couldn't get the FT job she wanted in backstage operations so she came back north.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I've been a CM since Jan 2007 and I still love it.

Like Jim said first, there are pros and cons to it. For me, it's never lost it's magic, but instead made me appreciate just how delicate the magic can be. You see so much that others will never see and it makes you smile when you realize just how much work goes into the making of WDW as the Guests see it.

I started out in F&B as a CP, working at Pop Century. In August 2007, I transferred to Merchandise at the Main Street Emporium. Starting on August 2, 2008, I will officially become the newest Jungle Cruise skipper (for those of my great Intercot family, I got my exact location now). I have plans to move into Entertainment eventually, but I'll have to wait another 6 months before I can transfer again.

I'm sure you'll love it here - it's brought me a lot of great friends and extended family and I have so much fun working there.

diz_girl
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Starting on August 2, 2008, I will officially become the newest Jungle Cruise skipper (for those of my great Intercot family, I got my exact location now).

Congratulations! You don't know me, but I was planning on saying hi on my visit in December, but I guess that I'll just hope to get you as my skipper.

TheRustyScupper
07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
1) I've been a CM for 4-years.
2) I was Full-Time, then went Seasonal
. . . semi-retired and moved to our house in Florida
. . . went to work WDW as Full-Time
. . . got enticed back to "real world" work as a CEO
. . . became Seasonal at WDW
. . . will probably go back full-time when I, again, semi-retire

3) I do enjoy working as a Concierge at Deluxe resorts.
4) I elected to stay out of the parks, because I think there is more variety. *
5) There are certainly things I do not like, but there is more that I do like.
. . . like - helping guests, and giving a little special Pixie Dust every now and then
. . . dislike - rude guests who think they are better than "lowly" CM's
. . . like - the excitement of kids as they go off each day to the parks
. . . dislike - the low pay
. . . like - the good health care benefits
. . . dislike - adults and kids who ignore the rules of the parks and resorts
. . . like - the kinship of the other CM's
6) As long as one avoids the untrained managers, things go smoothly.
7) I do recommend it to folks, as long as they don't need Big Bucks to live.

* Many park employees disagree with me, and really like working within the parks. My opinion is that I would be saying "move along" all day. Of course, that is my own thought. Fortunately, WDW has jobs all over the place, so CM's can work pretty much where they want to work.

joanna71985
07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Starting on August 2, 2008, I will officially become the newest Jungle Cruise skipper (for those of my great Intercot family, I got my exact location now). I have plans to move into Entertainment eventually, but I'll have to wait another 6 months before I can transfer again.

Congrats Jessica!! That's awsome! I will have to try to get on your boat before I leave in Aug.

And keep on trying with Entertainment. I will too. I know we both will get it.:)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Hehe, hopefully!

When do you leave? I have training August 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, and 18th (they can only put my training on the weekends due to my availability). August 2nd I don't think I am in the boat yet, just location walk-through/orientation.

BMan62
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I started out in F&B as a CP, working at Pop Century. In August 2007...

We probably saw you there on our Valentine's trip in '07 and never knew it!!!!

Sorry we missed you!

Hopefully, we'll catch you in September on the Jungle Cruise!!!

joanna71985
07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Hehe, hopefully!

When do you leave? I have training August 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, and 18th (they can only put my training on the weekends due to my availability). August 2nd I don't think I am in the boat yet, just location walk-through/orientation.

Rats! I won't get you then, as I leave Aug 18.:(

Well, I am hoping to come down in Jan for a quick trip. If not then, if you are still at JC in May I will see you then.

RocknBev
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Sounds to me from the post above that you should GO FOR IT!!!
Low pay when your young doesn't matter...get some roommates...it makes life more fun anyway!:goofy::trio::mjump:
I certainly wished I had and now I am enouraging my niece to do so next year with the college program.
I believe I am going to be one of those retirees that move to Orlando FL and goes to work at WDW. Then the low pay won't matter so much to me then either.

CaptainDisney
07-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Most of the people on the college program who come because they love Disney have a great time.

In my experience, it was only those looking for a 24 hour-a-day party for five months that were disappointed (even though that is an option).

I LOVED my college program, the people I met, the stupid things I would never have done in a vacation (e.g. watch Mickey's Philharmagic twelve times in a day). You don't live in Orlando, you live at Disney for four to seven months. It is an unforgettable experience.

If you're anything like me, you'll wish you didn't have to leave. Whatever is happening in my life, I still get excited at the opportunity to go back for just a few days and make dreams come true as a seasonal CM.

CaptainSad
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Someday I want to work at WDW. To all you seasoned pro's. I won't be coming in as CP. I will come off the street. I don't care what the pay. Can someone give me an idea on the entry level pay scale and what is the potential of advancing? You don't have to give firm numbers, just a ball park figure. I have friends who have worked there and they told me that it was the greatest experience they ever had. I have been down 23 times and never get bored. I just love the atmosphere there.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Most positions start around $7-7.50. You get one raise a year unless minimum goes up.

Advancing isn't hard as Disney has a high turnover rate. Just network, network, network, and make sure you speak to your location leaders. They will evaluate you and can help you go onto advancement positions such as the Leadership Casting Call, where you get a temporary assignment as a leader and if you do well enough and there are positions open, you will get a permanent position as a leader.

J9
07-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I've done the College Program and been a College Program Campus Recruiter up until last month. All in all, I've been a CM for a bit over 4 years now and am working to get my Seasonal status straightened out.

I wouldn't have changed any of it for the world. If I could move down to FL and be a full time CM, I definitely would. My ultimate goal is to try to get into the Disney legal department and/or try to work my way in as a park executive (got the MBA joint degree which I think could only help!!!)

Even if you decide working for Disney isn't for you (as some of my CP friends actually did - others never went back home!!!), I suggest to everyone to at least do one program. The experience of being on your own and seeing how Disney is managed more than makes up for any reservations you might have!!!