PDA

View Full Version : Happy Nine Month Anniversary, DCA! part II

tinkwest
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
continuation . . .

CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
This was our first visit to California Adventure so we were excited about discovering all the new things. Due to L’s illness we didn’t do nearly as much as originally planned. More to discover next time!

Soarin’ Over California was our first stop. It was great. Sat in C1. Wish we had time to go on it again. Soaring over Disneyland, we noticed it was seasonally decorated with Small World all lit up. It’s Tough to Be a Bug was a little more intense than we expected. Can see why they warn that small children may be frightened, but thought that was odd as it is probably the little kids who would want to see Flick and friends in the first place. E&D liked California Screamin’, pronouncing it “smoooooooth”. They thought Maliboomer was a bit tame. M&L skipped both those rides. We all rode the Sun Wheel in a stationary basket, after hearing a “losing her lunch” story from a cousin that went in one of the purple/orange baskets. Next time we will be brave & give one of the others a try as they didn’t look that bad. Mulholland Madness gave us all whiplash. Don’t think we need to go on that one again. Muppet Vision was fun. May be a bit biased as we really like the muppets to begin with. We had to try Superstar Limo just to see if it was as weak as we had heard. It was worse. Hopefully they will replace it with some brilliant & worthwhile ride. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was fun. No one in our group got anywhere on the board at anytime during the show, but we had fun trying. When we first entered, an 8-year-old young man from Sacramento was already in the hot seat. He was EXCELLENT. Can’t remember how far he got, but it was quite a ways up. He seemed very in control and cool throughout his turn. His parents should be very proud. They next guy (college age?) to win his way to the hot seat was sitting right in front of us and, we later discovered, lives probably 10 miles away from us. He also did a good job. We really enjoyed this attraction, even without Regis! We made a special trip one day just for Grizzly River Run. We headed straight there from the Grand Californian entrance, walked right on the ride, got soaked, got right back on, got more soaked, sent E&D on for a 3rd time, took pictures of ourselves (soaked), and went back to our conveniently located room at Grand Californian to dry off and change. Boy! Would hate to imagine walking around the park all day in that wet condition. We had it made.

We never used a FastPass at DCA. Never had to. Longest line we stood in was maybe 5 minutes before they opened up the doors to Millionaire.

Didn’t have the time to see all the exhibits, visit any stores, play any games on the boardwalk, or try out many eateries. E&D stopped by the Boudin Bakery & Golden Vine Winery for their presentations. We all visited Disney Animation. Some of it was interesting - the display showing the evolution of characters, some of it stupid - the Walter Cronkite/Robin Williams show. Hyperion Theater was closed, so we didn’t have an opportunity to see a show there. Had some coffee & hot chocolate from Pacific Wharf Café and a quick snack from Award Wieners.

We watched “Eureka! A California Parade” - reminded L of the Lion King parade they used to have at Disneyland. We had hoped to see both the “Electrical Parade” & “Luminaria”, but it became evident that we would have to choose one or the other as crowds were building for both. L chose the “Electrical Parade” as that was what she had been looking forward to more than anything all week. L&M were sorry to see that the Pinocchio portion of the parade was gone, but enjoyed it just the same. We stayed in our seats near Golden Dreams to try & catch a glimpse of “Luminaria” and that is what we got - a glimpse. We could see the fireworks above the water and hear some of the music, but that was it.

We liked having the option of going to California Adventure. For those who say “It’s no Disneyland”, we say “No it’s not and it is not meant to be”. The two parks are different, as they should be. I am sure as the years go by they will get any major kinks out.

DISNEYLAND
This part will be brief as L is doing the writing & L didn’t really spend much time in Disneyland. Sent the family while she slept.

Family hit all of the high spots, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc. They also tried out the new Autopia. Fun, but the kids are feeling a little too old for the ride. Once again, no FastPass needed. When we were all there together we went on Small World Holiday (L bought the CD - Don’t laugh!), Big Thunder Mountain, and Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion. Wish we had time to do the Haunted Mansion again (E, D,& M went through twice). Liked it better than the original version! Later had to buy the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD. One morning L&M visited Fantasyland while the boys did the “fast” rides again. Hurrah! We got the back of the caboose on Casey Jr. Circus Train - always a thrill for us.

Wandered in and out of some of the Main Street & Tomorrowland stores. Each bought a Disney Christmas Tree ornament, among other things. Have purchased several silhouettes of the kids over the years. Think maybe this will be the last time. They are beginning to look too generic.

Ate lunch/dinner at Plaza Inn one day. We wish there were more places like this to eat at in Disneyland. We always eat here at least once a visit. E, D, & M also ate at the River Belle Terrace, another one of our favorites. We had hoped to check out Rancho del Zocalo, as it is new since our last visit, but it was never open when we were there.

We saw part of the Parade of the Stars one evening when we were getting in line for Small World, but never sat down to actually watch the whole thing. Looked like an OK parade. I’m sure that by now the annual “Christmas Fantasy” parade has replaced it, temporarily. Since we could see the fireworks every night from our room we didn’t pressure ourselves to watch the show from Disneyland. But one night, while D&E were in search of hamburgers, L&M sat down on Main Street to wait for them. When they returned, we stayed put as the lights were going out soon for the “Believe . . . in Holiday Magic” show. We couldn’t see many fireworks where we were (Emporium side of Main Street) but had heard that Main Street was a good place to be for the snow. Boy oh boy, was it ever. Wish we had been filming. It was so neat & lasted longer than we had expected. Glad we stayed!

MISC.
One night we walked over to the Disneyland Hotel being as we hadn’t been there since they put in the new pool or built Downtown Disney. Should have gone back again in the daytime to see the pool better, but it looked nice from what we could tell. We were excited to find the little boats. They are even more special now that they look like the jungle cruise boats.

Things we will miss at DLH - the Monorail Café, Stromboli’s, the Christmas time ice skating rink, Harbor (or was it Wharf) ice cream stand, and the peaceful, nighttime atmosphere on the monorail side of the Sierra tower (with ESPN Zone so near, it stays kind of loud down there late in to the evening). But as a whole, the Resort has improved in our opinion. We hope to visit again soon (in better health).

NotaGeek
07-07-2008, 12:06 PM
WOW! Thanks for posting this Linda ... how much fun to see DCA for the first time through your eyes. I wish I had gone back then! :clappy:

Melanie
07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I really enjoyed reading this, Linda. Interesting reading how everyone thought Superstar Limo was such a stinker early on.

And I used to love that Robin Williams/Walter Cronkite film. ;) It used to be at MGM at WDW as well.

Thanks for posting your report!

MegaDisney
07-08-2008, 03:20 AM
I had almost forgot WWTBAM! I actually made it in the hot seat once! :number1:

Superstar Lame-o! I waited in the sun forever to ride that! Monsters Inc. is such an improvement!

DCA really has started to grow up and the future looks bright!

Thanks for posting this Linda! Sounds like you guys really enjoyed yourselves in spite of illness.:ill:

I miss Eureka! :sing: "Come away with me..." In my mind it was the best Parade DCA has had to date, and the Lion King Celebration was the best Parade EVER!

tinkwest
07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
... We all visited Disney Animation. Some of it was interesting - the display showing the evolution of characters, some of it stupid - the Walter Cronkite/Robin Williams show. ...

...And I used to love that Robin Williams/Walter Cronkite film. ;) It used to be at MGM at WDW as well. ...

To be honest I don't remember anything about that film now, 7 years later. But I guess it did not impress me!