PDA

View Full Version : Why no toppings bar?

Going2HeavenRU
07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I understand that the toppings bar for burgers has been removed from the Electric Umbrella and Pinocchio's but still remains at Pecos Bill.

They were wonderful! I loved being able to top my burger with as much lettuce, tomato and mushrooms as I wanted. The hot cheese was incredible with the fries.

Does anyone know why the bars were removed?

Aggie97
07-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm not familiar with the toppings bars at Electric Umbrella or Pinocchio's, but I can confirm that they still existed at Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray's a few weeks ago. Casey's Corner also has the hot cheese for your fries (or hot dogs). :mickey:

Figment52
07-06-2008, 03:37 PM
My first thought would be that at least some of it goes to waste, but I really don't know.:shrug:

I'm just glad it's still at Pecos Bill's. We eat there pretty much every trip b/c of the bar, and I love all those mushrooms, too!:eat:

Gator
07-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not familiar with the toppings bars at Electric Umbrella or Pinocchio's, but I can confirm that they still existed at Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray's a few weeks ago. Casey's Corner also has the hot cheese for your fries (or hot dogs). :mickey:

I'm in the same boat. I've only seen the fixen's bar at Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bill's - not at any other place. Can anyone else confirm at the other places?

minnie1956
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
It's because instead of using the product as intended, aka "toppings" only. MANY people, including some folks that have posted on Icot used the toppings bar to make salads in their sandwich baskets.
I'm not just talking out of turn. In our many trips I have watched people do it.
Folks just haven't figured out yet that the money crunchers at Disney are MUCH more smarter and observant than given credit for.:blush:

Doug The Disney Man
07-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Right on Minnie!

I have seen people create a salad big enough to feed their entire family. I'll admit that I usually take a few extra pickles to eat with my sandwich, but I've often wondered how long those bars would last.

BTW, I do remember the toppings bar at Electric Umbrella, so you're not going crazy. It is kind of sad that people have to ruin this stuff. Like the people sneaking 2 liter bottles up to the resort refill stations when no one is looking and filling them up. The CMs are good about watching this, but usually the counter service places in the park cannot have an extra person dedicated to watching for unsanctioned salad construction.

SurferStitch
07-07-2008, 06:34 AM
I've also seen quite a few people waste a lot of toppings, or make their own salads. It seems that whenever something is offered as "free", there are plenty of people who take advantage of it.

I've also read here where people would buy a double cheeseburger, an extra bun, and make two burgers out of it. That's two burger's worth of toppings used for the cost of one burger. Add all of these little "tricks" add up, and the restaurant begins to see an issue with it. It is lost dollars, and the restaurants are there to make money for WDW.

I'm not surprised to see them take the toppings bars away.

d_m_n_n
07-07-2008, 08:27 AM
It's because instead of using the product as intended, aka "toppings" only. MANY people, including some folks that have posted on Icot used the toppings bar to make salads in their sandwich baskets.
I'm not just talking out of turn. In our many trips I have watched people do it.
Folks just haven't figured out yet that the money crunchers at Disney are MUCH more smarter and observant than given credit for.:blush:

:jaw: Are you serious?!?! That, IMO, is plain not right!!! I could see filling a basket with toppings and taking it to the table for an entire family to share, but to make a salad? It's too bad that a few who abuse the system ruin it for others who are honest.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-07-2008, 09:43 AM
You know it might be health reasons instead of money because the cost of the toppings is already included in the cost of the burger.

And since not everyone gets any toppings and eats them plain, that means they are collecting revenue for items they did not use or sell.

So let's say a person buys a burger and doesn't get any toppings. That means if someone gets two sets of toppings, the cost evens out.

And trust me, I've seen enough people who eat plain burgers (not that I eat the ones at Disney, but I eat mine plain when I do).

I think it might have been a safety issue since the location at Electric Umbrella is smaller and kinda cramped and quite possibly, more than likely, a health issue since I've also seen a lot of people using their hands for food or sneezing and not wiping/washing their hands and then grabbing the tongs.

Being in food service restaurants sure does open your eyes a lot more.

Seasonscraps
07-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know if you can you ask for the toppings when you order? I think I prefer that instead of making selections that are picked over by other people anyway.

:jaw: Are you serious?!?! That, IMO, is plain not right!!! I could see filling a basket with toppings and taking it to the table for an entire family to share, but to make a salad? It's too bad that a few who abuse the system ruin it for others who are honest.

That always seems to be the case in situations like this.

Figment52
07-07-2008, 06:07 PM
You know it might be health reasons instead of money because the cost of the toppings is already included in the cost of the burger.

And since not everyone gets any toppings and eats them plain, that means they are collecting revenue for items they did not use or sell.

So let's say a person buys a burger and doesn't get any toppings. That means if someone gets two sets of toppings, the cost evens out.

And trust me, I've seen enough people who eat plain burgers (not that I eat the ones at Disney, but I eat mine plain when I do).

I think it might have been a safety issue since the location at Electric Umbrella is smaller and kinda cramped and quite possibly, more than likely, a health issue since I've also seen a lot of people using their hands for food or sneezing and not wiping/washing their hands and then grabbing the tongs.

Being in food service restaurants sure does open your eyes a lot more.

Now that you mention it, that could be part of the reason, too. I know every few years there's mention in the paper or on the news about salad bar restaurants having health issues.

Going2HeavenRU
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I didn't think about the health issues and would have never thought about using the toppings bar as a salad bar. Sad how people act now days.:(

minnie1956
07-07-2008, 10:09 PM
If it was health reasons, all the topping bars would be gone. I'm telling you, after 24, yes 24 trips to the same places trip after trip. It's
salad bar time, not topping bar time for many.
Just like I watched people fill popcorn buckets at the resorts with soft drinks and laugh that they were doing it and "nobody" would bust them ( also observed and heard the commentary). They don't call me "Snoop Sister" for nuthin! :thedolls:

Young@Heart
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Does Cosmic Ray's have the cheese at the toppings bar? We're finally eating there this trip and I've heard great things about that cheese! :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
07-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Does Cosmic Ray's have the cheese at the toppings bar? We're finally eating there this trip and I've heard great things about that cheese! :thumbsup:

We ate there in May, and they did not have the cheese sauce. Not sure if that's the norm, but there was none to be found when we were there.

Aggie97
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
We ate there in May, and they did not have the cheese sauce. Not sure if that's the norm, but there was none to be found when we were there.

It was back at the toppings bar a few weeks ago! When we placed our order, we asked for a small cup of sauce (we had done this in Dec. and Feb.), and the CM directed us to the toppings bar instead. He was brand-new and said he had been getting a kick out of how many people were excited to learn about the cheese sauce being available at the toppings bar again. :mickey:

Young@Heart
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
It was back at the toppings bar a few weeks ago! When we placed our order, we asked for a small cup of sauce (we had done this in Dec. and Feb.), and the CM directed us to the toppings bar instead. He was brand-new and said he had been getting a kick out of how many people were excited to learn about the cheese sauce being available at the toppings bar again. :mickey:

Yay!!!! I hope it's there in 4 weeks!:mickey:

MMouse6937
07-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I've also read here where people would buy a double cheeseburger, an extra bun, and make two burgers out of it. That's two burger's worth of toppings used for the cost of one burger. Add all of these little "tricks" add up, and the restaurant begins to see an issue with it. It is lost dollars, and the restaurants are there to make money for WDW.

I've never actually done this but I don't really see this as cheating the system. What's the difference if you buy a double cheesburger and split that, each one of you may add different toppings to your half. Plus you have paid for the extra bun so the cashier has to know what you're planning on doing. I guess since DH and I are more small mayonnaise and ketchup people (I might sneak an onion on mine from time to time :secret:) I have never thought of someone "hogging" toppings, but I'm sure it happens.

Now the filling the big mugs at the drink stations, that does burn me up :mad: But that's another thread! :D