PDA

View Full Version : Whose your favourite stand up comedian ?

RAIDER
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Whose your favourite stand up comedian giving their monologues that you have either seen or watched on dvd etc

Mine are in no particular order

Al Murray ( UK )
Steve Martin ( his King Tut live is so brilliant )
Eddie Murphy ( his Raw was so funny )
Dave Allen ( UK and saw him live )
Chris Rock
Billy Connolly ( UK )
:D:D:D

ChipnDaleGal
07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I really like to watch stand up comics. I don't know that I have one favorite, but some of them would be...

Jon Reep - the last winner of Last Comic standing and he cracks me up

Jim Gaffigan - his Hot Pocket routine kills me every time

Dana Carvey - he is brilliant, So funny and does such great impressions

Steven Lynch - a singing comedian that has a great voice and is hilarious.

I also love to watch a lot of the comedy showcases on Comedy Central and see the up and coming comics.

Ian
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Hmmm ... I think I'd have to say, in order:
Richard Pryor - He was the funniest man in history.
Bill Cosby - Before he became "The Cos" he did some seriously funny stand-up.
George Carlin - I think his name speaks for itself. One of the funniest, most original stand-ups ever.
Eddie Murphy - I know people nowadays think of him as being a total hack, but his old stand-ups (including Raw and Delirious) are some of the funniest ever.
Steve Martin - Side splitting stuff ... really, really funny and mostly without the raunch factor of Pryor and Murphy.
Robin Williams - Again ... long before the Mrs. Doubtfire era, Williams did some outrageously funny stand-ups. I remember having one of his routines on VHS and I literally would laugh out loud for the full 60 minutes.
Gallagher - Some people get him and some people don't. I do and I find him hysterical. If you haven't heard his riffs on the English language you're missing out.
Steven Wright - That deadpan delivery of his is just too much. That by itself makes him a riot
Dennis Leary - Most people probably don't know his stand-up, but he has one special I saw once that is riotously funny. There's a bit about his Dad's obsession with wood paneling that would have a monk rolling on the floor in fits of laughter.

KineGirl
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Dave Chapelle
&
Nick Swardson

Altair
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Hmmm ... I think I'd have to say, in order:
Richard Pryor - He was the funniest man in history.
Bill Cosby - Before he became "The Cos" he did some seriously funny stand-up.
George Carlin - I think his name speaks for itself. One of the funniest, most original stand-ups ever.
Eddie Murphy - I know people nowadays think of him as being a total hack, but his old stand-ups (including Raw and Delirious) are some of the funniest ever.
Steve Martin - Side splitting stuff ... really, really funny and mostly without the raunch factor of Pryor and Murphy.
Robin Williams - Again ... long before the Mrs. Doubtfire era, Williams did some outrageously funny stand-ups. I remember having one of his routines on VHS and I literally would laugh out loud for the full 60 minutes.
Gallagher - Some people get him and some people don't. I do and I find him hysterical. If you haven't heard his riffs on the English language you're missing out.
Steven Wright - That deadpan delivery of his is just too much. That by itself makes him a riot
Dennis Leary - Most people probably don't know his stand-up, but he has one special I saw once that is riotously funny. There's a bit about his Dad's obsession with wood paneling that would have a monk rolling on the floor in fits of laughter.

That is a pretty good list.
I would like to add Redd Foxx to it. I think he told the funniest joke I've ever heard.:thumbsup:

pink
07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Dane Cook will always be my number one however recently I've been getting into Jordan Rubin and Dah Phan. :mickey:

wdwgrl377
07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I remember my parents watching Gallegher..he's good!

George Carlin was my favorite! :D

I was watching the Comedy Channel and saw on a showcase Kevin James (King of Queens) had a stand up show. He is so funny to me on the show and when I saw him perform stand up - he had me cracking up! He's also a favorite of mine!

I dont know if Carrot Top would or does fit in this category, but year ago when he first came out he was so funny with all his props, etc!!

DisneyDog
07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Okay, I have alphabetized mine since it's so long. My favs change from year to year. Right now, DH and I watch a lot of Jeff Dunham. He's truly amazing with and without the dummies. But, all of the comedians on my list can make me ROTFL!

Woody Allen
Louis Black
Mel Brooks & Carl Reiner together (2,000 year old man)
Mario Cantone
Margaret Cho
Ellen Degeneres
Jeff Dunham (ventriloquist/comedian)
Jim Gaffigan
Gabriel Iglesias
Dom Irrera
Kevin Meaney
Patton Oswalt
Brian Regan
Craig Shoemaker
Jon Stewart (his standup is brilliant)
Harland Williams

The Flying Dutchman
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
While I've never gotten to see any of them live, I am a big fan of:

Daniel Tosh
Gabrielle Iglesias
Jim Gaffigan
Jeff Dunham

So funny!:D

pink
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I was watching the Comedy Channel and saw on a showcase Kevin James (King of Queens) had a stand up show. He is so funny to me on the show and when I saw him perform stand up - he had me cracking up! He's also a favorite of mine!

I forgot about him, he's hysterical. :mickey:

disneycutie165
07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
TIM ALLEN, TIM ALLEN, TIM ALLEN!!!!!!:mickey:

'98-Wilderness Lodge
'99-Wilderness Lodge
'03-Wilderness Lodge
'05- Wilderness Lodge
'08-Wilderness Lodge!!!

"Why does it cry, Smeagol?"

KathyMJ
07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Howie Mandel!!! My husband and I saw him twice and I laughed so hard I almost....well...you know:blush:

Jerry Seinfeld was great, too.

disneydrmr
07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Jeff Dunham and 'friends'.. Walter is a hoot!

pogo
07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I have a hard time with Stand Up Comics of today. Too many of them aren't really funny so they throw in the F bombs to get a laugh ! I turn the channel or walk away. :shake:

Some of my favorites are...

Larry the Cable Guy
Jeff Foxworthy
Ron White
and Bill Engvall

I can't believe they haven't been mentioned yet ! :D

wdwgrl377
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I have a hard time with Stand Up Comics of today. Too many of them aren't really funny so they throw in the F bombs to get a laugh ! I turn the channel or walk away. :shake:

Some of my favorites are...

Larry the Cable Guy
Jeff Foxworthy
Ron White
and Bill Engvall

I can't believe they haven't been mentioned yet ! :D

UGH! I knew there were some others I had left out! I have a caller back tune of Larry the Cable guy on my phone so when certain people call they hear his voice! Too funny! I love watching the Blue Collar TV show, specials, etc!!

DisneyDog
07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh gosh, I forgot about Howie Mandel! I saw him twice at the now nonexistent Valley Forge Music Fair...that's where his infamous special was filmed where the guy got up to use the men's room and everyone changed seats on him (it was a theater-in-the-round). He was so funny as a comedian. I wish he still did standup (and I miss his curly hair!)

diz_girl
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
My top picks are:
George Carlin
Chris Rock
Dave Chappelle
Patton Oswalt - his bits about Bob Ross, William Alexander and Tom Carvel are a hoot.

The Blue Collar guys are also great.

Nick Swardson - although I've seen hardly any of his stand-up, his acting roles leave me hysterical. For any of you who love Reno 911, the character of Terry, the gay rollerskating prostitute, is played by Nick Swardson. Patton Oswalt also makes regular appearances of various characters on the show.

brewcrew26
07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Jeff Dunham and 'friends'.. Walter is a hoot!

We were just at the taping of his Christmas special in Milwaukee. I took DH for his birthday. Loved it! It went until 2 a.m. Crazy hilarious!! Peanut is the best!

I also love Gabriel Iglesias and Jo Koy. Carlos Mencia is up there, too. Used to love Dane Cook and Lewis Black, but they're getting a little old now.

Nini
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
John Pinette

My husband and I watched his dvd "I'm Starvin'!" last night and it was really funny! No crudeness or vulgar humor, which I am sick of. Now I've got to get his first dvd!

We also like :

Jim Gaffigan &
Louis Black

Denise :mickey:

VolMickey
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Latest for me is a guy that goes by "Comedian Bob." He's always on Sirius Radio's redneck comedy station. Oh man, he is HILARIOUS. He's from Maine and the accent of those yankees cracks me up - ain't they funny?

He can get a little "blue" so not for the kiddies.

alphamommy
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
For my first two, I'm going a little old school.

Bob Newhart - We've seen him live, have his albums on CD, and have a DVD of his early appearances. Hilarious!
Bill Cosby - We saw him live, too. Absolutely hysterical. We saw a 5:00 PM show. He had another at 8:00 PM. He came out and talked forever, then asked "What time is it?" A voice from the crowd said, "5:30". It cracked Bill up.
All the "Blue Collar" guys except Larry the Cable Guy - I just don't quite get Larry, but the others (especially Foxworthy and Engvall) are GREAT!
Robin Williams - An amazing, quick mind that can go in a million directions at once.
George Carlin - I loved the Hippy Dippy Weatherman!
Gallagher - I've seen him live a couple times. What a riot!
John Pinette - Whenever he's in town, he does a segment on the morning radio show we listen to. DH has been late for work to hear him.
Steven Wright - Great, deadpan delivery. He's probably DH's favorite.
Jim Gaffigan - We've seen him on Comedy Central a couple times. Some else mentioned his "Hot Pockets" routine. It's great.

Tinkerfreak
07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Bob Marley is from here in Maine and I love how he pokes fun at us. Even we have to laugh at our accent and some of the stuff he talks about. He really comes up with some good stuff but I do wish he was a little more kid friendly so we could enjoy his act as a family. I think he could get the funny stuff accross just as well without the vulgarity. I feel the same way about alot of stuff the comedians do though so I am not picking just on him.

Stickey
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
1) George Carlin
2) Richard Pryor

3) Rodney Dangerfield
4) Bill Cosby
5) Robin Williams
6) Sam Kinnison

IamBelle
07-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Jay Leno
Conan O'Brien
Gabrielle Iglesias (He's on Leno all the time)
ANT
Robbin Williams

VolMickey
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Bob Marley is from here in Maine and I love how he pokes fun at us. Even we have to laugh at our accent and some of the stuff he talks about. ...

Thanks! So that's his name.

2Epcot
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Nobody seems to like Seinfeld?

I don't have an order, but I'd certainly have Bill Cosby, Jerry Seinfeld, Rodney Dangerfield, Bob Newhart, Robin Williams, and Chris Rock on my list.

VolMickey
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
... Bob Newhart,... on my list.

Gotta agree with that. Newhart is AWESOME. Those phone routines are the best. Remember the ending to the Newhart show, where they harkened back to the Bob Newhart Show? Classics like no other. :thumbsup:

DISNEYLOVERS5
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
jeff dunham

DizNee143
07-11-2008, 02:24 PM
bill engvall..i love him..he is soooo funny...
i cant stand ron white..i wish he wasnt part of the blue collar..ugh..

AdventurerKim
07-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Steve Martin, Robin Williams, and Eddie Izzard are favs! We just saw Eddie on his latest tour, and he was great! I also love Jeanne Garofalo, who I saw do stand up several years ago and was fantastic, although I'm not sure she's doing stand up anymore.

jennbunn
07-14-2008, 06:56 PM
george carlin was my fav and will allways be my fav : ) i also like chris rock,dane cook,larry the cable guy. nick swardson also gets a special nod since we went to high school together. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
07-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Eddie Izzard - I love his brand of educated humor. Never got to see him live yet.

Denis Leary - His one bit about coffee-flavored coffee is awesome!

Tim Allen

Bill Engvall - I got to speak with him on the phone when he was at a local country radio station, and he was so funny just chatting.

Ron White and Jeff Foxworthy are right there with Bill!

George Carlin - got to see him about 15 years ago at PSU - hilarious!

Dave Attell - saw him in NYC at Caroline's about a year before his Insomniac show started on Comedy Central. Had no idea who he was, but he was hysterical. Little did we know he would become famous.

Jimmy Norton (O&A fame)