PDA

View Full Version : Irritated...my family keeps changing the plans!

RocknBev
07-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I am a bit irritated right now. :angry:We had our plan in place and now things are changing. Why you ask?
It has taken 2 years to get this trip off the ground...the dates kept changing...so I should not be surprised.
DSis was planning to stay at the Ft Wilderness Campground with her family, while my Dbro and his family (as well as my parents) were staying at POP. DH and I were planning to stay at CR (because we hate POP and CR is central with the monorail). That WAS the plan. Transportation to WDW was all taken care of so with the gas prices we could conserve a little money. DSis was going down early pulling her camper and planning to stay longer. The other families were going to carpool in two cars a little later. Perfect plan! Well this week, I get a phone call that the campground is booked for our dates and now the WHOLE plan seems to be changing!:mad:
DSis doesn't want to stay on site because she stay somewhere cheaper. :confused: She now has my parents staying in a house near WDW with her which doesn't make sense because they were going with group two (us). With limited transportation, how were they getting onto to Disney property? DSis doesn't have a car that fits 8 so we would have to go get my parents everyday to bring them on site.
SIDE NOTE: The nice part of staying on-site are those BIG RED BUSES! :bus: You drive on property and never have to get in your car again if you don't want to.

So I explained that to them and tried to encouraged them to consider staying on-site at the Value Resort with DBro to no avail. I believe my parents feel they need to help DSis since she has four kids with the baby grandkid of age 4....so of course he if the cute one. :ewok: So anyway, now my parents are going down with DSis in a separate car.
Dbro and I are having to rethink our plans and we pray that gas does not go to $6 a gallon by then! I know it is petty but it is frustrating sibling rivalry that never goes away...plus I am a control freak who just lost control!:fit:

Sorry to vent but since all of you are such planners here I know you can understand the frustration of making plans and then having things change and you have NO control.:bang:

I am sure that this is only the beginning of the plans that will continue to change over time! I guess it is part of the fun!?! :huh: Since we are going the first of January, we have plenty of time to have lots of kinks in my plans. I am making our ADR's on next week so they only have a couple of days to change their minds on that one!

Janmac
07-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm a legendary control freak in my extended family. After a half dozen family trips to WDW trying to coordinate among 4 families I have developed a coping strategy that I highly recommend. :D

I simply say, this (whatever) is what I am doing, you guys do what you need to do.

And then I don't say another word to them about what the plans are or what they should do. Except if someone asks for a reminder, which happens over and over and over!

In a situation such as yours I would be very clear and firm, but polite, that my car is being parked in the CR parking lot and not moving. It's your vacation, too.

If, as is their choice, your parents chose to help your sister, and stay off property, then they can figure out the transportation themselves.

With all the money they're saving, maybe they can rent a van. ;)

Jan

pink
07-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm a control freak as well so I know how you're feeling. Nobody messes with me, especially about my Disney vacation. I don't have any advice to offer but I hope that your family comes to a good decision about what to do and your plans come together nicely. Maybe next time you go to Disney you shouldn't go with your extended family. :mickey:

Puppy Mom
07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I think that it is obvious that your parents are making all of their plans for the convenience and financial situation of your DSI. That is their choice and darned nice of them.

BUT they do NOT get to manage YOUR plans. I agree with whoever said that you and your brother should make your plans and let your parents and DSI know what they are.

Would you be willing to let them use your vehicle with the stipulation that they fill the tank before returning it? I wouldn't be willing to let someone use MY car, but perhaps you are. If not, I agree that you should tell them that they can either stay on property or make their own travel arrangements.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-05-2008, 01:03 PM
In a situation such as yours I would be very clear and firm, but polite, that my car is being parked in the CR parking lot and not moving. It's your vacation, too.

With all the money they're saving, maybe they can rent a van.

:ditto:
Maybe you could soften the blow by giving them some information on rentals. They still wont like it but it is their choice. Sounds like you have done enough for them already, so try not to feel to bad.

Speaking for myself after doing the research I came to the conclusion that staying off property would not save me any money. By the time I figured in the cost of renting a car and gas, the time wasted going back and forth. Just my :twocents:

gamblefamily5
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
We are making our first 'extended' family trip in September. We also have a few friends going to be there at the same time. We made our plans (this will be our 4th trip and everyone else's first) and we just said, "this is what we are doing, we love you and hope to see you there some also!" We love our family/friends a lot and decided right off that the best way to deal with all of the details is to guide everyone but to give them and us the freedom to make our own choices and no one feel stressed if they don't want to participate. Good luck!:mickey:

gerald72
07-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree with everyone else. Park the car and leave it parked.
They are on their own. Worry about your own little group.

RockChalkKimball
07-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I, too, am the control freak who likes to have A PLAN! Now I am happy to let others make choices, however, my family always says "whatever". Then, when I make the plans, they say..."Why did you do that?" "I wanted to do this.' Argghghgh!!! Just tell me what you want!!!

JoDisney
07-05-2008, 03:14 PM
If I have this right, you'll be at (CR) and your brother will be at (POP). That is good so far. Sister wants to stay off property now that she cannot get FW campground. Sister wants the Mom and Dad to stay off property with her. She will drive and Mom and Dad will drive. That is two cars off property. You try one more time to talk with your sister and parents about staying ON PROPERTY. After that stay out of it completely. Book where you and your family want to stay, the CR. Do not let your car move! Your sister and parents should be aware that the theme parks charge for parking, each car is $11 per day. That means sister and parents will spend $22 a day right there in parking. They should try to get a value resort or a value family suite. I would go with magical journeys travel agency. They are great. There is no fee. They find the best rate out there. If the rate drops they adjust your rate. If your sister says "no", try to persuade your parents to stay on property. Everyone is going to be so much more closer. If not, there is nothing you can do. Do not change you plans to stay at CR. Believe me, as much as you love your family, there are going to be clashes and you will be glad you can retreat to the CR. You need some time for yourself and your family. This is your vacation, too. Please believe me on this. There is only so much you can do. You can make suggestions. The main thing is you are in control of your life. Enjoy your time. Do not get caught up in their decisions. You will be so much more happier and have such a great time.

BMan62
07-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Remind them, in not so subtle ways, that staying offsite, they cannot partake of EMHs, so while you can be at a park an hour early and another 3 hours late, they will have to leave and go back to their 'cheaper' rooms while you are still enjoying everything WDW has to offer!

tinksmom02
07-05-2008, 11:15 PM

If, as is their choice, your parents chose to help your sister, and stay off property, then they can figure out the transportation themselves.

With all the money they're saving, maybe they can rent a van. ;)

Jan

I agree with Jan...if they want to stay off-site with Dsis, then let THEM figure out the transportation issue. Why should that be your problem, and why should you spend half of your vacation carting them around?

Just sit them down and tell them that if they want to stay off-site, that's fine, but they need to figure out their own transportation.

I know, easier said than done...

Disney Doll
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I feel for you! Family vacations are stressful! I make a plan for my immediate family and then invite whoever else to tag along. They can go with my plan or do their own thing. Either way my plan is set in stone and I don't worry about it.