PDA

View Full Version : Soarin', anyone?

disneylinda
07-04-2008, 08:09 PM
:mickey: Has anyone done the Soarin' ride yet? It "looks" really cool, but I'm afraid of getting motion sick :sick: Last time DH & I were at WDW I got bad motion sickness on mission space. Has anyone had this problem with this new ride?

MouseHead
07-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I get motion sickness if I walk on a crooked sidewalk :sick: :ack:....but Soarin' did not affect me at all :yay:....it is now my favorite DW ride..:joy::clappy:

GoldenDreams
07-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I get seasick on cruises, but I LOVE Soarin! The seats tilt with you as the camera moves, so the motion feels very natural. It is actually very relaxing and beautiful.

Definitely get the fast pass because the wait can be really long.

I hope you will love it. It is one of my favorite things at Disney!

Queen Stephanie
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I try to avoid simulators, they really cause my head to go Dizzy! I rode Soarin in DL California and I LOVED IT! No dizzy or motion sickness. Try it, you'll like it!:thumbsup:

d_m_n_n
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Same here! I am so prone to motion :sick: it isn't funny. I was nervous going on it the first time, but once I get in the air I am just fine!! It is by far my favorite ride...now the Tea Cups :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Diznee4Me
07-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Great ride - not to miss. Make sure to get the Fastpass though, extremely long lines early in the day onwards. Never felt any motion sickness - very smooth.

WDW24
07-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Soarin is a fantastic ride and it is much different than Mission Space. All you do is move 15 feet in the air and watch the big screen. It may feel like you are moving but your really not. :thumbsup: :mickey:

bruin1344
07-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Soarin is very tame in comparison to other thrill rides

Speedy1998
07-05-2008, 11:02 AM
:mickey: Has anyone done the Soarin' ride yet? It "looks" really cool, but I'm afraid of getting motion sick :sick: Last time DH & I were at WDW I got bad motion sickness on mission space. Has anyone had this problem with this new ride?

You are comparing to completely different ride experinces.
MS is supposed to give you the feeling of an actual trip through space. Jim Lovell (The commander of Apollo 13) said that it was the closet thing on Earth that he has experienced to real space flight.
Soarin' is the motion simulation of a glider. For the most part the motion feels similar to a poarch swing.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
07-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I get really bad motion sickness :sick:. Sometimes I'm fine on this ride (and I LOVE it) and sometimes I get queasy. The good thing about Soarin is if I start feeling sick, I just close my eyes, listen to the music and feel the wind on my face and still get to enjoy the ride. You should go :thumbsup:

wendy*darling
07-05-2008, 07:31 PM
I have terrible motion sickness, but can ride Soarin' all day long! :thumbsup:
(I have not, and will not, ever ride Mission:Space!)

My DH, on the other hand, usually doesnlt have any problems, but once in a while Soarin' gets to him. If he is tired, or has a headache, he makes sure he sits in the 2nd or 3rd row. He has no problems when he can see the feet of the row(s) in front of him.

If you are a little anxious about it- tell the CM not to put you in the first row. Then you shouold be perfectly fine.

TwoTinyWings
07-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I also get motion sick very easily, but unlike most of the other posters, I did have problems when I rode Soarin'. (I was seated in the top row of the middle section.) I managed to cope, as I often need to on simulator type rides, by periodically "checking in" with a reference point in the room that is stationary. (Doing this essentially gives your brain a reality check about the way in which your body is actually moving, which can greatly alleviate motion sickness.) In the case of Soarin', looking at the edge of the screen and the wall worked nicely for me. However, I did need to do this quite a lot during the ride - I was surprised by how much it was affecting me. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd try Soarin' again, and that makes me a bit sad, since I do feel this is an excellent attraction.

All of that being said, everyone is different, and others might not find that the ride affects them as much as it did me. My advice is to give it a try and see - just make sure you have some coping mechanisms ready (asking to be seated in a lower row, looking towards the wall, etc.) in case you do start to feel ill.

RAIDER
07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I love this ride its proopbably my favourite in all of Disney. :cloud9::thumbsup:..I have never felt queesy with this simulator but i have done with Star Tours and the old Body Wars :ack:

stitcherbelle
07-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Soarin' is awesome! Odds are you will not get motion sickness because someone I know gets motion sickness on about everything, but not Soarin'! It looks like your watching T.V. and feels like you are in the picture! There is smells and sounds! Make sure to sniff the air for scents!:thumbsup:

Aggie97
07-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I've been sick after riding motion simulators like Star Tours and Body Wars but have had no problems with Soarin'. Have a great time! :mickey:

MatterhornMiss
07-06-2008, 05:08 PM
I have also experienced motion sickness on Soarin'. I find it is worse if I'm sitting at either end of the screen where it is more curved.

DisneyorBust
07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
DW can't enjoy Mission Space, Tea Cups, Body Wars and Star Tours due to the :sick: factor. But she sure enjoys Soarin'! Can't wait to ride it again with her in September.:D

disneymom2000
07-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I usually don't have any problems with motion sickness (in fact I am usually the one who has to ride the teacups with the kiddos and I love it). I ride Soarin' everytime I go - always more than once. The last time I went in December we got a fastpass before heading to the regular line. We rode it and then went straight to the fastpass line where we got stopped by the Dream team and got a Dream fastpass. As soon as we went through that time we went immediately through again and used our Dream fastpass. Riding it once every once in a while is fine but three times in a row really got to me. I got dizzy the last time around and had to stop.

Donald A
07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I suppose it could get you a little motion sickness if that is a big issue for someone, but it really doesn't move. You just tilt in your seat a little. No G-Forces or anything like that.

Minnie Imagineer
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I get SO motion sick and car sickness with the simplest thing. On my last trip, I was prepared to go on Soarin' but it was a 3.5 hour wait. Next time I go (march 09!!) I will go on!

Kisobel
07-06-2008, 08:00 PM
soarin' is a breeze. just like sitting on your front porch swing but way cooler.

kate

Doug The Disney Man
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
It's been said before, but to reinforce the others, GO ON SOARIN'! Mission:Space is some kind of beast; don't use your experience on that to keep you from Soarin'. BUT...

Get a FastPass! The line gets insanely long and you can only stand the environmental facts or trivia or whatever for so long before you lose your mind!

Taja
07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
My BFF suffers from motion sickness--cars, boats, ships, trains, planes...

Soarin' doesn't bother her at all! She's gone on it both at DL/CA (many, many times) and at EPCOT (a couple of times) with no adverse effect. :)

italiangrl.08
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I am MAJOR motin sick, even in the car sometimes, on long drives!!!! But i have never even gotten a little sick! It is so FUN, you would totally kick yourself in the butt for missing it! Promise it is totally.:thumbsup: