PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

sisterdisco
07-03-2008, 09:56 PM
We have ADR's, but I am having second thoughts--
I booked a sit down for every night, plus HDD revue, so we would have to pay for one dinner.

Now DH is unsure if he really wants to do HDD.
I am having second thoughts about the Fantasmic Package at Hollywood and Vine.

We haven't done either of those before.
What do you think about the food at Hollywood and Vine? How early do you have to go to Fantasmic after eating w/ the package vs. just going on your own? Is HDD revue worth 2 dining credits?

Thanks

henry.james.s
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Do the HDD..it's a resort classic. The food is good and with the show it's well worth 2 credits IMO. :thumbsup:
I've only done the Fantasmic pkg @ Brown Derby so I can't tell you about H&V. I had a early dinner around 5 to make sure dinner was at a casual pace and had plenty of time to get to the show.
If you're going at less than a peak time of the season lines to get in to the show are shorter so skipping the dinner pkg and the reserved seating area is no big deal.

Pop Centurion
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
We've never ate at H&V but have done HDD twice and will be doing it again in Sept.
Initially I didn't think I'd like HDD but once there I loved it. Very funny and entertaining and the food is great. I highly recommend it. You can always use the DP for the HDD and pay OOP for H&V since it's cheaper this way. Also if you're going during the off season, I'd just eat at H&V minus the package since getting a decent seat at Fantasmic won't be a problem.

DizneyRox
07-04-2008, 01:28 AM
H&V is by far one of the worst meal experiences I've had at WDW in a long time. The food was OK at best and service was almost non-existent. We had never eaten there and decided to give it a shot. Needless to say, we won't be back.

Also, I've never done a Fantasmic dinner package. I have never had a problem getting a seat at Fantasmic, and when I've seen where the area is for the dinner package guests, I would rather wait with everyone else and get a better seat. That's just how I roll though...

AmBo
07-04-2008, 03:14 AM
If you do the fantasmic package, stick with Brown Derby and if not that go with Mama Melrose (lots here will disagree with me on this one, but I've eaten there about 6 times and NEVER had a bad experience and the food is fantastic!)

I've never eaten at H&V though, but read bad things :sick:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
We like the Mama Melrose Fantasmic dinner better also. We thought the food at H&V was just okay.

As for HDD, we have not done this meal. Kathy at MJ recommended it, but again the food just didn't sound worthy of giving up 2 TS to me.

If it makes you feel any better, I have doubted some of my reservations also and have made several changes. My DH just laughs at me. When he comes in from work, he says...where are we eating at now? LOL! :D

sisterdisco
07-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think we will skip H&V.
How far ahead do you arrive at Fantasmic to make sure you get any seat? We will be going last week of August.

lockedoutlogic
07-04-2008, 02:40 PM
dump the hollywood and vine.....

the food is not good.....there are 4 better restaurants in mgm alone

and the fantasmic package thing starts to make me wonder at this point.....

is it just me....or it that show a little old? is it the kinda thing that people have to schedule every trip?

same show running for over ten years....

DizneyRox
07-04-2008, 10:31 PM
We plan around seeing Fantasmic! I think it's a great show, yes it's the same show, yes it's been playing for a long time. I remember waiting for two plus hours when it just opened several times during the same vacation to see it. And even now I would wait in that line.

Do you ride PotC each trip? Or Jungle Cruise? Same difference...

RALPH
07-05-2008, 07:55 AM
HDD is a do not miss. Everyone should see it at least once. We have done it 4 times, but DS does not want to do it anymore. Next trip without him,,,I'm back. Great ribs!!!!!!!!!!

Fantasmic is a do not miss!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did H&V 4 times with the package. However, in our opinion it has gone downhill in quality. I tolerated it to get the ticket, but the rest of the family said to me this year to skip it as they did not like it. They did not like the menus at BD or MM so we will wait in line.

I would eat at H&V and see how you like it. If you don't, grab some snacks, etc around the park and chalk it up to experience. Food is so subjective so this is hard.

jefmblrd
07-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I would skip the Fantasmic dinner package all together. The food at H&V and Mama Melrose is not good and the Brown Derby is not worth two TS credits. Plus the reserved seats at Fantasmic are off to the side and not good. The best place to sit is just off center right or left. If there are two showings of Fantasmic that night, go to the second. Have fun.

jonahbear2006
07-05-2008, 02:15 PM
We have learned, as a general rule, to stay away from the dinner theatres and the "special" dinners at Disney. They get us all revved up for something spectacular and we always end up disappointed. I would just spend your time getting a sit down meal and then heading back to the parks. I haven't tried the HDD revue yet, though, however, I have had friends hate H&V and say that it was a waste of time and money. If you have to eat somewhere at HS, I suggest eating at the 50s Diner. Everyone seems to rave about the place.

Minnie Imagineer
07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I have never been to HDD but I have done the Fantasmic package with Hollywood & Vine. At H&V, the food is not that good for dinner (its buffet)...I did like the dessert buffet though- there was serve-yourself soft ice cream! yum!
But I thought that the Fantasmic package was definetly worth it! I saw the 1st showing and when we were leaving, we saw people waiting for fantasmic past the hat!!
On my next trip, I will do the fantasmic package but try to get a different restaurant.
:smickey:

Figment52
07-05-2008, 09:56 PM
We ate at H&V last trip. I'd recommend you skip it.

Other than the dessert bar, which was decent, the entire experience was bad. We arrived early, and waited at least 30-45 minutes past the ADR time to be seated. The server was mediocre, and the food standard buffet you'd find anywhere. We won't return.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I agree with the above posts.

H&V is horrible. We ate there a couple of years ago, and will never go back (it is just about the only place at Disney we really didn't like). I would skip it, and plan to line up to see Fantasmic.

We really enjoy HDD. It is a great evening; you'll laugh a lot, and the food is pretty good too.

lockedoutlogic
07-06-2008, 09:41 AM
We plan around seeing Fantasmic! I think it's a great show, yes it's the same show, yes it's been playing for a long time. I remember waiting for two plus hours when it just opened several times during the same vacation to see it. And even now I would wait in that line.

Do you ride PotC each trip? Or Jungle Cruise? Same difference...

to each their own.....though to be fair: fantasmic gobbles up more of your day than about any other thing to do or see at this point....

except soarin and midway mania

beksy
07-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I'ver never eaten at H&V so I can't help you out there but we went to HDDR last trip and LOVED it! The food was fantastic and the entertainment was wonderful. We were laughing all evening and had decided that it would be on our must-do list for our next trip before we even got back to the resort! For us it was the best evening outside of the parks that we had. :thumbsup: