PDA

View Full Version : Any hope they will change POTC back to the way it was?

Arnold Simba
07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Just wondering: Is there any hope that someday Disney will change POTC back to the way it was? While I've enjoyed the movies, the novelty of seeing Jack Sparrow in what I consider a classic Disney attraction is over. And if they ever do change it back, please, please, please ... bring back the Parrot to the entrance of the attraction! He deserves a better fate than hawking clothes at the Disney Store!!:mad:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I'd love to see the parrot back too. I miss him. I really miss the original Tiki birds, too. :(

Sadly, I think the chances of either of those rides being returned to their classic, original state are slim and none. I'm one of those 35 year old big kids, so I get the nostalgia for the old things, but it's hip and fun for young kids to see the new versions.

lindique
07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
They still have the original version in Disneyland Paris. It also has several scenes that are not in Florida and 2 drops.

Ian
07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Ahh, no. Disney just spent millions of dollars to make these changes. The idea that they might change them back is ... uh ... far-fetched at best.

Mr. Incredible
07-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Meh -I miss the parrot, but really like the Davey Jones mist effect and Jack Sparrow in the treasure room. :number1: All in all, a well done makeover that should stay aorund for decades.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
This is one attraction that I don't think they messed up when they updated it. Unlike Figgy which they still haven't improved on.

CaptSmee
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I thought it was a great upgrade, same with Haunted Mansion. Let's just say there's pretty much no way it will ever revert back to it's old incarnation. The movies are just way too popular!

Gator
07-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Why would you want to change it back? I think it's pretty cool. And the movies have become classics. They'll be around a long time.

EditReject
07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
For the most part Disney gets it right when they upgrade or enhance an attraction (i.e. HM and POTC), but sometimes not not so right (Tiki Room and Imagination). WDW has the perfect balance of old and new which keeps me coming back time and time again. At first when I heard of the POTC additions, I wanted to see more characters from the POTC movies incorporated into the ride but when I saw it in person, I thought it was perfect. Plus it was great to hear my niece and nephew shouting "There's Captain Jack!" :D

DizneyRox
07-04-2008, 01:31 AM
There ARE two chances they will, slim and nil...

Which is unfortunate. I'm not a big was of the new version myself. The animatronics are fastastic!!! Really good stuff, but I can't help but feel they were shoehorned into the attraction. They just don't seem to fit if you ask me, it more about "Hey, find Jack Sparrow" than about any sort of cohesve story.

#1donaldfan
07-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I like it, kids like it...not a bad change, I was a little scared to see what they did to my oldest memory of a ride, but they did fine, I was pleased with the upgrades......IMHO !!

pdrlkr
07-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I think it's great! :thumbsup: :mickey:

AllDisney
07-04-2008, 03:15 PM
We love the updates. I think Disney did a GREAT job updating this classic.

However, I would LOVE to see Figment come back in all it's wonderful glory.

xipetotec
07-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Just wondering: Is there any hope that someday Disney will change POTC back to the way it was? While I've enjoyed the movies, the novelty of seeing Jack Sparrow in what I consider a classic Disney attraction is over. And if they ever do change it back, please, please, please ... bring back the Parrot to the entrance of the attraction! He deserves a better fate than hawking clothes at the Disney Store!!:mad:

I think the parrot SHOULD indeed come back and see no reason why he shouldn't.

But as for the INTERIOR changing back to how it was, I'd say it has a snowball's chance in Orlando :D

JRocker
07-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Like many others, I think Disney hit a home run when they updated this ride.
As popular as this attraction is now, I doubt that they revert back.

Of course, slipping the parrot back into the ride would be a cool addition somewhere down the road.

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Considering that they haven't brought back the original Imagination or Tiki Room which most people hate I don't see them bringing back that ride. Most people really like the new version so I don't seem them changing it to the old.

ibrowse17
07-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I have no problems with what they have added to POTC. It was just the right amount without being in your face about it. I would like to see Pete the parrot back as well:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
07-06-2008, 02:24 PM
We missed this last trip due to the refurb. Is it really that much different? I know they added new aspects (characters) from the Movie(s), but did they take out a lot of the original ride (other than the parrot, obviously)?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
POTC is our favorite WDW ride. We love the changes.:thumbsup:

laward32
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
This was one of my first rides as a little little girl. So it is a classic to me. I love the Pirates movies. They incorporated things from the ride and I don't think the small additions to the ride have spoiled it for me. I love seeing Jack Sparrow. If they had went overboard then I would be a little upset. I think they were great touches.:pirate:

GoldenDreams
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I haven't seen the movies, so I was worried about the changes, but I thought they were good and not distracting.

However, I know it's not politically correct, but it seems to me that when I was little, there were 2 scenes of pirates chasing the women and then the last one was the woman chasing the man and that was funny. It seems to me that now it's all women chasing men and that just isn't as creative.

CaptainSad
07-06-2008, 09:54 PM
You have to be kidding? Change something that is a big hit? It will never go back to the old way. I give them an A+ on this one:thumbsup:. Also for HM:thumbsup:.

SBETigg
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Ahh, no. Disney just spent millions of dollars to make these changes. The idea that they might change them back is ... uh ... far-fetched at best.

As Ian said.

Imagineer1981
07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I think that in 5 or 6 years, when my new son is old enough to ride attractions like POTC and actually remember the details of it for years to come, he may not even really know the pirates movies, but he'll know there is a pirate named Jack Sparrow and its just all part of the show

Arnold Simba
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Everyone has their own perspective. My Grandpa, my parents and siblings, and my son have all enjoyed the traditional version of POTC. Sometimes change is good, sometimes it's not. Case in point: I personally don't know anyone who enjoys the changes they made to "Journey Into Imagination" - now "Imagination Institute." There are many many "bring back Figment and the Dreamfinder" posts to prove that the change was a bad one. But Disney wanted to update it with a hip Eric Idle, and it's failed.

While I have enjoyed the POTC movies, I just wished they had left the characters out of the attraction. If they had plans to expand the ride and/or upgrade the animatronics, fine. But for me and some others, the ride was never about Jack Sparrow or Barbossa. It was basically a tale about pirates ransacking a town, according to Walt Disney's interpretation. Now it's looked on as an attraction based on the movie.

I'm an old bird, I admit it. But I don't think everything has to change to make it interesting and viable. "Pirates" and "Peter Pan's Flight" are original Disney rides dating back to Walt's era. Thank goodness that "Hook" wasn't a success, otherwise kids would be hearing Robin Williams annoying voice throughout the ride. And thank someone that the "Haunted Mansion" movie tanked, because I would be nauseated seeing Eddie Murphy yuking it up in the ballroom or holding the dog in the cemetary.

When are they going to take the redhead out of the POTC auction scene and replace her with Elizabeth Swann? Is that next?

I respect others who disagree with my point-of-view. I hope you and your kids will continue to enjoy POTC with Cap'n Jack. But this overgrown 50-year old kid will miss what was.

Goes4FastPass
07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
The changes were not to the detrement of the original.

Now if they took away the pirates in jail trying to get the dog togive them the keys... nope, instead of removing if from the ride they added it to the movie!

Golly, it's POTC not the vatican and we've been riding it since we were kids. The recent changes were welcome.

Mackflava99
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I like it alot- its not too much, and its still got the flavor it needs-

Actually the women used to be chased by the men a while ago, so they changed that also-
but a few years ago.

As for Imagination- yes figment needs a better representation. he seems to be forgotten.

The Tiki room upgrade is stupid actually- its good to use Yago and Zazy but they could have found a better way- maybe a guest appearence at the end..

Arnold Simba
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
The changes were not to the detrement of the original.

Now if they took away the pirates in jail trying to get the dog togive them the keys... nope, instead of removing if from the ride they added it to the movie!

Golly, it's POTC not the vatican and we've been riding it since we were kids. The recent changes were welcome.

I'm not saying it's the Vatican. I'm not being sarcastic. I love the old ride, I love the movies, I just don't enjoy both mixed together. As I wrote earlier, I sincerely respect that others enjoy the changes. That's fine. As many have written, it's unlikely they will change it back. Does that mean I will never go on the ride again? Heck no. It's "Pirates", I've loved it since I was a kid, and it's a personal favorite. But I hope you'll understand, it's just sad for some old birds like myself that it was changed. At least bring back Pete the Parrot to the Entrance.

Hypothetically, if Disney decided in the future to take out the redhead and replace her with Elizabeth Swann, how would you feel? Or for example they took out the auction scene and replaced it with the treasure cave scene from "Curse Of The Black Pearl" with Jack dueling Barbossa, would you be up for that change? Or yet another example: What if they changed the ride totally to conform to the movie? I'm not trying to start an argument: To the contrary, I'd like to know your thoughts regarding these hypothetical changes and whether or not you would approve of them.

HeyMrsL!ItsThisGuy!
07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
eh, the changes don't bother me too much, but if i had a gun to my head and had to choose

I'd change it back.

indytraveler
07-07-2008, 05:42 PM
The most recent changes occurred during the refurb that was finished on 6-19-08. They have taken out the "We wants the redhead" chant. Have added some other over talking on the way out.

I miss the parrot in the ride who said... "Aye there be squalls ahead" right before you go down the drop.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-07-2008, 08:48 PM
The most recent changes occurred during the refurb that was finished on 6-19-08. They have taken out the "We wants the redhead" chant. Have added some other over talking on the way out.

:eyes: Wow I'm glad they haven't done this at DL.

I have really enjoyed the additions to the DL version and look forward to riding the WDW version.

I do have one complaint about the WDW version. When I rode it 6 years ago I found out that it didn't have the gunfight scene at the end of the ride, it just seemed to end rather abruptly. Having grown up in CA I just assumed the rides were the same, now I know better. :mickey:

mac badger
07-08-2008, 12:43 PM
i really like the davy jones effect at the beginning. as for capt. jack, i can take him or leave him. but i really miss the parrot out front and don't understand why they took him away.
you say he's hawking clothes at the disney store now? which store is that? i'd like to go visit him

bruin1344
07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
i like the upgrade, it didnt change anything vital

PeterPan
07-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Gosh, we have had this discussion so many times here on Intercot.

Disney has GOT to keep things fresh. Old rides (as much as we love them) MUST be updated, freshened, "plussed." Rides DIE if they are not given attention and refurbishment. That's the bottom line. CHANGE HAPPENS. It must happen, or things die.

Doug The Disney Man
07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
I really like the changes to Pirates. I also liked that 20K was removed. And Mr. Toad. I think Tom Sawyer Island should go, too. I know I'm a radical! But, if the parents bringing their kids don't know what these are in reference to, then they must change.

Granted, probably none of us have seen Song of the South, but Splash Mountain is fun for the splashdown, not JUST the Brer Rabbit stuff. I'm not for all of the changes however. The Tiki Birds needed an update, but Gilbert Gottfried? It's just irritating. Also, Imagination. Again, an update, but first the removal of Figment (virtually), then the "Figment Show" as I call it, were disappointing.

The bottom line is that the parks will always be changing. Walt even said that, so I try to get over these things quickly. I believe that Walt would have been very happy with the POTC movies and welcomed the changes. I also think that he would have seen the fact that most kids had no idea who Mr. Toad and Captain Nemo were and either realized a change was needed OR tried to refamiliarize the public with these stories.

Final point I'll make, almost all of these changes (good or bad) are primarily financial. If attendance is down on a ride, or people are complaining-they aren't happy, they aren't spending and Universal starts to look more fun. Or it is sometimes too expensive or impossible to maintain that ride. For instance, many of the skyrides across the country have been removed because it became nearly impossible to maintain them for one reason or another. We'll just have to wait and see.

Marker
07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
How far back should they go back with POTC? There have been other revisions prior to the Capt. Jack Sparrow addition.

In my opinion, they've done a good job.

No matter what they do, they're never going to please everyone. Any change they make will be met with criticism, as would the choice to make no changes at all.

I say, here's to the folks at Disney for continually trying and never giving up in spite of constant criticism. :thumbsup:

brownie
07-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Very doubtful. They changed both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World versions of the ride. It was in response to guest feedback looking for characters from the movie in the ride. I wish they hadn't changed it, but we're probably in the minority here.

scoot241
07-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Why would they take that out? That just doesn't make sense to me?.. :confused: