PDA

View Full Version : Help with memory problems...

wdwgrl377
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey Gang!

Hope everyone is having a great day! I've been really busy at work and by the time I get home I just crash. But I still DO get on Intercot daily and read although I may not post as often.

I have a question and would like some advice.

Some of you know that I deal with Crohn's disease. I've had many many surgeries and was hospitalized from Oct-Dec last year. I was on heavy medication and was so out of it the majority of the time. I've been in/out of the hospital numerous times since 2000.

I've been noticing lately, that I've been having the hardest time remembering things. Especially now that I'm working. It's like I can't concentrate and remember what my bosses are telling me what/how to do something. So I was thinking, "Maybe it's all the drugs/medicines I was on during all my hospitalizations?" :confused:

If they are explaining something to me, and they all know this is a new field for me, I seem to forget by the time I get to my desk. I have been writing things down too as it does help.

Does anyone know if there is like an herbal supplement I could take or any kind of medicines that will help me with my memory? Am I crazy for thinking b/c of all the drugs I had to be on during the hospital caused this? Now, i am no drug addict or anything, but they were giving me some pretty heavy stuff during all my hospitalizations....

I just feel so bad b/c now that I'm working I dont want to forget things all the time - like little things. Which I know i have b/c they've told me. And they are all so nice about it, but deep down I'm like, "Monica you used to have a better memory than this!" UGH! :(

Any advice, suggestions or encouraging words will be greatly appreciated!! :D

NotaGeek
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
There could be many reasons for your this type of memory loss ... but you REALLY need to speak to your doctor about it immediately. It's VERY VERY important, and although it doesn't necessarily mean anything, memory loss can hint at several serious problems going on. Don't depend on an INTERCOT diagnosis and some blue berry extract (yes, it's suppose to help!), please see you doctor.

My mother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers at 59, and had been having strange memory loss, over compensating by writing stuff down, at work for a few years and never told anyone ... so anytime people mention this, I always say "Go see a doctor!" ... just to be safe.

MsMin
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Monica relax, yes, you can ask your dr. about your memory problems but since I know you and what you have been through I would guess that it's stress and depression. When we are stressed the our ability to store things in long term memory is diminished. It's sort of like we have only so much psychic energy to spare and stressors take a lot of energy.
I know you well and I have a strong background in neuro-psyc and with all you have been through it's very understandable- in fact I would expect to see memory problems.
The difference between alzhemizers and other memory problems related to stress is often recognized by the type of memory loss.
With regular memory problems you forget where you put your keys. With alzheimer's you forget what keys are for. There is a qualitative difference.
Right now your brain is on overload. You have so much going on and so many new things to learn. PM me if you want to talk or you can even call me if you want to chat... you still have my # huh?
I just checked the stats to see how young it can occur and early onset would be extremely rare in your early 30's. You don't need something else to stress over. If you have trouble remembering where you live or something more routine then we would check it out.
I'm sure you still see your docs regularly and it's someone like me who they would send you to in order to check it out so I do see it a lot.
Worrying about it will not help. Maybe your doc can write a for a little something that would help you relax but too much can make you forget too.
Some of your current meds (if you are taking any could have an effect but they usually tell you) Past drugs I wouldn't worry about.
Often there is post-surgical depression and is more common w/ heart surgery but it still all points to common memory problems. Give yourself a break and time to learn. :hug:

disneydeb
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I battle mamory problems like yours (I think) -mine stems from heart surgery. See your doctor ASAP about this!

wdwgrl377
07-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Thank you Beth, I will PM you soon. I promise. I know you do know me and all I've been through and I appreciate you a lot. *Yes, I do have your number still. I'm about to get a NC number, but will definitely give you that when I get it* ;)

I will mention it to my Dr. next time I see her, but I truthfully feel deep down it's a major issue. I know after my last surgery, in Oct 2007, the RN's told me that due to heavy anesthesia and heavy doses of medicines that could be causing me to not remember that much. I mean I do remember things don't get me wrong, but it's silly things. ANd I especially, get down when I forget what they tell me at work..and I don't want to look like a complete idiot.

They are extremely nice to me and know that I am learning and I have questions to ask. After all they told me they keep forgetting that I do not know it as well as they do. I guess I am too hard on myself some times??

Also, I didn't know if there was something like in the health food store that would help??

crazypoohbear
07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Ginko Biloba is an herbal supplement.
Also,
Eat 5 walnuts a day and fresh blueberries.
Here in the northeast doctors are perscriping walnuts for early memory issues.
I think it's just that you have been overwhelmed with illness, moving and stress and when you finally find your grove you'll do fine. Relax take a deep breath and take notes for now until you feel confident!