PDA

View Full Version : transferring points between my accounts?

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
A reply to a previous question I asked prompted me to think about this one. Suppose I own more than one contract through DVC. Suppose also that the contracts are for different resorts and different use years. Can I transfer points from one account into the other one? If so, do they then all become points for the same resort with the same use year? Could I do this every year?

I would love for someone to give me the in's and out's of doing something like this. Thanks!!

ThanxForNoticin
07-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm 90% certain there is no transferring points among accounts. One reason is due to the 11-month reservation window at your home resort. That's a privilege for owners at that particular resort. Only points for that resort can be used that far in advance.

I'm pretty sure if you buy points through Disney, they will synchronize your use-year for all ownerships. We had previously purchased at OKW and recently added on at AKL. They required we have the same use year. If you purchase through a third-party, that might not be the case.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

FiggyFan
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can transfer points. While I can't find it in the Vacation Planner, and I didn't find the rules on the member web site, I did find references to some limitations regarding transferred points. For example, one section of the member web site says:

"How is my Total Vacation Points Available to Bank calculated?
This number is based on the sum of all of your Vacation Points across all contracts. Vacation Points that have been transferred in or out, previously banked, previously used or in holding are then taken into account. The result is the number of Vacation Points you may currently bank."

To answer your real question, I don't think that you could use a transfer process to change a point's home resort.

DVC_dad
10-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I own at more than one resort however they made my use year month the same for all. August.

You cannot change your home resort for the amount of points you have at said resort. That is to say:

I have 150 points at OKW.

I have 400 points at BWV.

I have 150 points at SSR.

I have 150 points at BCV.

I can use all 850 points to stay at OKW, but I can only book a max of 150 points at 11 months out. The rest of the points would have to be booked inside of 6 months at OKW.
The transfer you are talking about merely means using them to stay at a resort other than your home resort.

faline
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
When we did the tour a few weeks ago, they emphasized that it was critical that any contracts we buy have the same use year.

DizneyRox
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure where the critical comment came from.

My understanding is points transferred TO an account maintain the same home resort and same year.

So, my uncle gives me 200 OKW 2008 points. They go into MY 2008 year but are always OKW points. If I banked them, I would bank them as 2008 points, etc.

They don't change the booking window for me if my home resort is AKL and I want to use them there.

It's much easier to manage multiple contracts if they are the same use year due to booking, etc, but I don't think it can't be done. I also wouldn't advise someone do that however. And the contract use year can not be changed.

dlpmikki
10-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I have two different use years but at the same resort. I have transferred all my March points into my June use year when doing a booking and all the leftover points are then treated as June use year.

The caveat is that you are only allowed to do a transfer in or out once a year so that uses up my transfer allowance for both contracts.

Ian
10-03-2008, 08:25 AM
My understanding is the same as ThanxForNoticin's ... you can use BLT points at SSR and SSR points at BLT, but only within the limitations of the booking windows.

For example, we own 160 points at SSR and 200 at BLT. I can't call Member Services and book a 360 point BLT stay at the 11 month window. I can only book up to the 200 points I own at 11 months out. I'd have to wait until the 7 month window opens to use my 160 SSR points.