PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Bratwurst...

JanetMegan
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Ok I know this should probably go in the cooking thread but as the holiday approaches I'm looking for input on cooking bratwurst. This is a fresh variety, not pre-cooked or anything. Do you do the beer soak thing before or after grilling?

offwego
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I believe it's before. (and for some odd reason I seem to remember Paula Deene and her son doing bratwurst on an episode so you may want to check out the food network.

Mickey'sGirl
07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Personally, I would boil the brats in the beer. I would toss a couple of bay leaves into the pot, and boil for 5-10 minutes (this gets rid of a lot of fat)..... then all you have to do is toss them on the grill when you are ready to eat.

SBETigg
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Personally, I would boil the brats in the beer. I would toss a couple of bay leaves into the pot, and boil for 5-10 minutes (this gets rid of a lot of fat)..... then all you have to do is toss them on the grill when you are ready to eat.

I'm with Jennifer. Boiling first cuts down on the fat, and actually improves the grilling. Less flare ups due to fat drip, better cooking time.

murphy1
07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes, I boil mine in Bud for 15 min and then grill for about 15-17 min.

brewcrew26
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry no Bud here. Gotta soak in Miller (or if you can find it Sprecher or Leinenkugels) with some onion and salt and pepper. Then, you gotta do the charcoal grill. If you're eating bratwursts, and it is a holiday, enjoy the fat.

You can also soak afterwards in beer on top of the grill in one of those aluminum pans (that you'd use for a turkey). It kinda serves as a boiling mechanism, too.

MMMM...bratwursts. Do you have some Usinger's??? Wow, I need to stop at the store....

NotaGeek
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I boil them in Guinness and onion with salt and paper for 15 minutes (this cooks them completely) and the grill them to get toasty. It's a perfect brat!

Jeff G
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Sorry no Bud here. Gotta soak in Miller (or if you can find it Sprecher or Leinenkugels) with some onion and salt and pepper. Then, you gotta do the charcoal grill. If you're eating bratwursts, and it is a holiday, enjoy the fat.

You can also soak afterwards in beer on top of the grill in one of those aluminum pans (that you'd use for a turkey). It kinda serves as a boiling mechanism, too.

MMMM...bratwursts. Do you have some Usinger's??? Wow, I need to stop at the store....

Without even looking from your location I knew you were a Wisconsinite:D. Miller and Usinger's or Johnsonville are the only way to go.

The only thing is I disagree on the pre-boiling as it takes a lot of the flavor away. I cook mine over a low heat on my gas grill fresh from the package (with low heat the flare ups are minimal). Soaking in beer with onion adds extra flavor.

DisneyorBust
07-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I'll need to try Brats with the pre-grill beer boil, sounds like a winner.