PDA

View Full Version : wireless router help

Jeri Lynn
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone,
One day my daughters wireless connections were working on their laptops, the next day they weren't.

We tried calling linksys but they were no help.

I was able to put in the default IP address for linksys but I do not know what a DNS is or where I get it...

I am not a computer whiz when it comes to this stuff...

It says the computer is connecting to the network...but it wont' connect to the internet...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

brownie
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm far from an expert, but from what you are saying it sounds like the problem is between the router and your modem, or your modem connection. If the computer is connected to the network through the router, you still may not be connected to the internet. Check you modem to make sure it is online/connected to the internet. If it's not, you may have to reboot your modem. You'll also have to power down your computer and the wireless router when you do this. Power up the modem first, then the router, and then your computer.

I think that you normally want the ip address and DNS to be assigned automatically by your internet service provider (ISP).

It's hard to be much more help without more information.

DisneyDog
07-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I was also thinking you should reboot the router. Do you have a password? There is usually a place to enter a password and that will often restart the connect. You may want to call your ISP and not linksys to walk you through this problem.

medic9016
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
MIne has done this a couple of times. I had to unplug the power from the router for a minute. That fixed mine.

1DisneyNut
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
It sounds like your router has lost its settings. Lnksys routers are known for this issue. Did you recently have a power failure or the power flickered at your home? If so the router has probably lost its settings.

BigRedDad
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
When a router network is working one day and down the next, the issue is with the router or modem. To diagnose the problem, do the following:

1. Connect a computer directly to the modem (i.e. no router at all). Does the system connect to the internet?

If so, the problem is with the router. If not, then the problem is with the modem.

Modem Problem:
1. Unplug the modem from the wall outlet. Let it stand for at least 30 seconds to clear memory. Plug it back in and wait for it to show that it is online. Check to see if the computer can connect to the network while attached to the modem only.

If it works, then go to Router section. If it still fails, call your internet service provider to diagnose the issue.

Router Problem:
1. If it was a modem problem, reconnect the router to see if all computers can now connect to the network. If it works, you are done.
2. Reset the router by holding the red button in the back. This restores it back to the default.
3. Run the router setup again and do not use any encryption, just let it be an open network for now.
4. See if the computers can now attach. If so, problem is solved. You only need to put encryption on.
5. If it still fails and the modem works, you need to contact your router provider to troubleshoot.

This is a short version of what it takes, but it will eliminate the common problems.