PDA

View Full Version : storm during Monorail?

Minnie Imagineer
07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
has anyone ever been on the monorail while it was raining/storming? I haven't but I think it would be awesome! I love storms! Do they even run the monorail if it is heavily storming?

Itchy
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I dont know about Hurricanes but I have been on the monorail when it rains and believe me it does not slow it down.

Some of the cars I have been on though did have a minor water leak and some of the seats were getting wet. But that is part of being at disney world.:mickey:

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
We got stuck on one last year during a bad storm at the MK Stop. It wasn't raining when we left Poly, but was pouring, thundering, and lightning by the time we got to MK. It couldn't even leave the station. It was raining so hard that rain was coming through the doors.
Kinda cool, kinda scary!
Jen

Ghost * Hostess
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
My dh told me when he went down with his sister in the 90's ( I know that was a long time ago), they were on the monorail when it was struck by lightning during a storm in July. He said the monorail shut down automatically and they had to exit using out side steps that led them down to the grassy area, in the dark.

TheRustyScupper
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I dont know about Hurricanes but I have been on the monorail when it rains and believe me it does not slow it down.

Except for traffic lights and intersections.

SBETigg
07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
My dh told me when he went down with his sister in the 90's ( I know that was a long time ago), they were on the monorail when it was struck by lightning during a storm in July. He said the monorail shut down automatically and they had to exit using out side steps that led them down to the grassy area, in the dark.

I'm trying to imagine anywhere that there would be outside steps to exit a monorail, unless they were already at or near a station. You're not allowed to walk on the track, so what are the odds there would be steps where the door happened to stop? I've heard of guests having to be exited by a cherry picker type of equipment thing, but only in really rare cases.

Usually, if the monorail stops in bad thunder storms, they are able to proceed to get the guests to the next station, or they stop the monorail until it is safe to proceed, then get guests to stations in a routine rotation procedure.

Monorail_Red
07-05-2008, 11:05 PM

Some of the cars I have been on though did have a minor water leak and some of the seats were getting wet. But that is part of being at disney world.:mickey:

Actually, during the summer season, if a storm is strong enough, the monorail service could be stopped. I could be wrong, but I believe that when there are wind gusts above 50MPH. Even when the winds do get up there, the cab windows get zip tied as a safety measure to prevent wind damage to the cab.

In fact, during August of 2003, I got stuck on Monorail Red :mickey: for quite some time during a storm. The winds were blowing so hard that the doors would not close into the wind. There was no visibility, and it was practically raining sideways! There were also a few lightning strikes within like 50ft or so of the station.

I'm trying to imagine anywhere that there would be outside steps to exit a monorail, unless they were already at or near a station. You're not allowed to walk on the track, so what are the odds there would be steps where the door happened to stop? I've heard of guests having to be exited by a cherry picker type of equipment thing, but only in really rare cases.

Usually, if the monorail stops in bad thunder storms, they are able to proceed to get the guests to the next station, or they stop the monorail until it is safe to proceed, then get guests to stations in a routine rotation procedure.

In the rare event of an evacuation, guests evacuate onto the roof of the train, climb down the nosecone, and walk the beam way to the nearest station. This is only for something serious such as a fire. If a train were to be stuck for a lengthy period of time, it will be towed into the closest station for guests to be unloaded.

:thumbsup: