PDA

View Full Version : GF Lobby Refurb

MatterhornMiss
06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Just a heads-up for all of you booked to stay at the GF "soon":

(from the wdwnews.com website)
"Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Celebrates Two Decades

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- On July 1, 1988, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa opened its doors and invited Walt Disney World guests to rediscover a bygone era of elegance and luxury among the gabled roofs and Victorian balustrades of a turn-of-the-century seaside resort.

In the two decades that followed, approximately 15 million guests have enjoyed the splendor of its 867 deluxe accommodations and the gracious hospitality of its cast members. Countless others have been enchanted by the creative cuisine of its incomparable restaurants, including Narcoossee's, Cítricos and Victoria & Albert's, a consecutive recipient of the annual AAA Five-Diamond Award since 2000.

Disney's flagship resort is celebrating its 20th anniversary with plenty of "grand" new magic for Grand Floridian guests, including extensive renovations completed in late 2007 that upgraded its guest rooms with sophisticated new furnishings, carpet, drapes, bedspreads, flat-screen televisions and more.

Also new is the latest yacht to bear the Grand 1 name, a 52-foot Sea Ray pleasure craft available for chartered cruises across the tranquil waters of Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, and a floating view of nighttime fireworks spectaculars above Magic Kingdom.

Coming soon is an opulent marble floor to be showcased throughout the hotel's main lobby and mezzanine. Designed by the creative minds of Walt Disney Imagineering, the lavish enhancement will add another magical touch to a destination resort created as a fantasy image of Florida's past."

I was a bit confused, as, per posts here at Intercot, the GF's lobby floor had already been refurbished earlier this year. I was also worried, because we're supposed to be staying at the GF this Sept! I called 407-WDISNEY, but, of course, they knew nothing about it. So I called the GF's front desk. All she knew is that it would be happening "soon," but knew nothing more than that--like, exactly when, how long, and where would be a make-shift lobby while this is going on. This is all very frustrating, as I'm sure resort guests will hear nothing about it until they show up to find the lobby torn apart.

MatterhornMiss
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry--more information. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I just read on another Disney discussion board that the GF lobby floor was torn up in Jan/Feb, temp carpeting was put down and left until the imported tile could arrive several months later during the summer. Well, if this is the case, I'm hopeful the tile can be laid quickly and not interfere with too many people's plans. Though it really doesn't make much sense to tear up the lobby twice.:shrug:

TammiMcMan
06-30-2008, 02:23 PM
It is true. The lobby floor was already taken up once, but they either didn't like the tile or they received the wrong ones. In either case, the temporary rug was put in until they had the correct tile. I'm sure it won't be too disruptive and will be completed quickly. I wouldn't worry about it.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
There were some previous posts about this. When we were there in January, the main building lobby refurb was underway. It must be nearing completion by now.

SurferStitch
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
They still had the temporary carpeting when we stayed there in May. DH noticed it, and we thought it was odd that they would do that. Now I understand why.

Hopefully it will be completed for our October stay. I'm sure it will be beautiful!