PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Monorail

Minnie Imagineer
06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
For a few years now I have really wanted to make a monorail in my backyard. A scaled monorail..but one that you can still sit in..maybe fit 2 people in a 'car'. The problem is..I have no idea how to do it! I would want to make a dock with a ladder/stairs about 12 feet high and the track could go all around my yard! I was thinking I could have two cars..connected by cable.
Does anyone know how to do this or is really good at engineering??

*I would not be making this for a while...in about 1 year I will go off to college, so it wouldn't be till I get my own house!

BronxTigger
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I think when the time comes, you will need to hire somebody who can do this. You'll probably also need to get building permits from your city. You'd have to make sure your neighborhood does not have a list of covenants or things you can and cannot put in your yard.

For example, the neighborhood my mother lives in does not even allow clotheslines. They also have an approved list of paint colors for the exteriors of all the homes.

Honestly, for the expense and trouble, you'd be better off just moving to Celebration and riding the WDW monorail as often as you like!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
06-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Google "backyard monorail". Somebody beat you you to it. Maybe that site can answer your questions.

DizneyRox
06-30-2008, 05:10 PM
The Niles Monorail History

Yes, I've been visiting that site for a number of years. Pretty cool stuff, but a little over the top. The biggest hurdle would be the permits, I'm not even sure where to start with something like that. All the safety checks will more than likely bury the project I would think.

But, it's pretty interesting!

brownie
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Nothing says it would have to be off the ground. You could make a garden railroad that is a monorail.

DizneyRox
06-30-2008, 08:21 PM
So much or "Highway in the Sky!" :D

Minnie Imagineer
06-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Nothing says it would have to be off the ground. You could make a garden railroad that is a monorail.

ooo thats a good idea! That leaves all the beans and arches and docks and ladders behind. Good tip! i have to start planning my future project! :D