PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Island clubs to close 9/27/08

CleveRocks
06-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Cut and pasted from the online version of the Orlando Sentinel:

The six nightclubs at Pleasure Island will soon shut down, as Walt Disney World redevelops the adult-focused district at Downtown Disney.

BET SoundStage Club, Mannequins Dance Palace, 8Trax and three other nightclubs that have for years catered largely to young, single adults -- rather than to Disney's bread-and-butter family market -- will close after Sept. 27. Over the next couple of years Disney will reopen the Pleasure Island area with a broader mix of restaurants and shops.

Though Pleasure Island's possible demise has been the subject of rumors for awhile, the announcement surprised many in the Orlando nightclub business. Pleasure Island, now 19 years old, may have seemed an odd venture for Disney but it appeared to thrive -- so much so that some in the industry have blamed it for accelerating the decline of the nightlife district in Downtown Orlando during the 1990s.

In announcing what they called "a bold new vision" for all of Downtown Disney on Friday, Disney officials framed the Pleasure Island nightclub closures as a response to their customers, who say they want more broad-based dining and retail opportunities throughout the 120-acre district. "Our bold new vision for Downtown Disney reflects the feedback we receive from our guests each and every day and will enable us to continue to offer the high-quality entertainment that is our hallmark," said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-28-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm going to miss 'Motion' (the club that no one else seems to know about!). :( I seriously got my love for rum there.

Going to miss the other clubs too. I can see why they're doing it...but I don't have to like it.

Chris :hatter:

Melanie
06-28-2008, 02:31 AM
This is being discussed in the News forum (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=136677). I'm going to close this and direct all responses to the current thread. :mickey: