PDA

View Full Version : Just added Coral Reef, tell me about it

bkfree
06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
After booking our flights yesteday, we found it was cheaper to extend our stay by one day.YIPPEE.
OK, in the end the overall costs will be the same, but I would rather spend my money for an extra day in WDW than on airfare.:mickey:
I called this morning and got an ADR for dinner at Coral Reef on that added day. This will be our first time there, I was surprised to get my first choice.
So tell me about it.
What did you eat and love?

Simba'sBud
06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Are you doing lunch or dinner there? My DW and I had lunch this last Dec. and were very satisfied with the food. The service was good, too, although our waiter seemed a little over dramatic, which didn't quite fit in with the 'under sea' mellow atmosphere.

I don't remember what DW had, but I indulged in some blackened catfish after an appetizing sampler of the shrimp cocktail. This particular entree was absolutely delicious! For my dessert, I had something that I don't see on the current menu, but I remember it was like a parfait of chocolate, white chocolate, and coffee flavored mousse that was very tasty and very original. Also, the presentation of the entrees and desserts are very artistic and add to your overall experience.

I don't think you will be disappointed (unless you don't like seafood, ha, ha). Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

ibrowse17
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
It has a great atmosphere, though it can get a bit loud. While most of the menu is seafood, they do offer other items such as steak, which was very good. Have a great time:thumbsup:

Simba'sBud
06-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I called this morning and got an ADR for DINNER at Coral Reef on that added day.

I think I need to brush up on my reading skills. :blush:

Lynn J Mc
06-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I had the shrimp pasta and it was loaded with shrimp. Our server was terrible, shall I say non-existent most of the time? I don't remember what else we got other than the bisque which was great. Desserts were deemed great also.

E-OR
06-28-2008, 11:42 AM
My husband and I ate here our last trip (sept. 07) and loved the atmosphere and the food was really good. I had the steak and he had some sort of fish. The only thing that we thougt this place could have improved on was the service. Our server must have been the same as Lynn J Mc's because we had the same kind of experience. The guy we had was the worst server we have ever had in WDW. We plan to eat here again in September when we go and are hoping for a server that's a bit more friendly.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
06-28-2008, 02:10 PM
We love Coral Reef and have been many times. It can be a bit loud but I have two kids and it doesn't bother me at all. My wife and I usually get the NY strip and grilled ahi tuna and split some of both. Kind of like a surf and turf the non traditional way. My whole family including my 3 year old love the lobster soup for apps but the shrimp cocktail is good also. My 9 year old loves seafood so she is thrilled with the grilled fish on the menu as something different. For dessert it is usually the choc wave cake which is excellent. The service can be a bit sporatic ranging from not great to spectacular for us on our visits. The kids love the fish and especially if there are divers in the water. Hope this helps.

2MuchWDFun
06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
LOVE Coral Reef...we're going again in September (22nd Anniversary).

We almost didn't go after the mixed reviews we read before our 20 anniversary trip in 2006. My husband and I both agree that it was our favorite meal over the 7 day trip.

I had the Ahi Tuna (I'm not a fish person, the best way to describe it is that is tastes like a great prime rib); the wasabi mashed potatos that accompanied it complemented the Tuna perfectly. BTW: Our waitress (who was working her last night before going over to Victoria and Alberts) told us that the executive chef used Sushi grade tuna.
My husband had the Mahi Mahi and loved it. We had the Wave for desert...I'm not a chocolate person but this is a fantastic dessert.
We got to sit by the tank and enjoyed the sea turtles and sharks swimming by. A master diver stopped by our table and answered our questions about the sealife and aquarium.
If you have an anti-fish person in your party...the prime rib looked delicious.

The only complaint I have about the restaurant is the lobby area...not enough seating, many people were sitting on the floor.

Defintely go, you will love it.

bc002k
06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Coral Reef is great. The only downside is that it can be a tad bit loud..but how many WDW restaurants aren't loud?

The atmosphere is among the best with the huge aquarium and everything. They do some cool watery mood lighting, so you feel as if you're eating at the bottom of the ocean.

The blackened catfish entree was soooooooo good.