PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a car... any advice?

TikiGoddess
06-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

Well, my husband's 1994 Saturn is finally on its last legs. We spent all afternoon researching new cars, used cars, car loans, and car options. AAAAHHHHH!! What a confusing process.

We've finally narrowed it down to a price range. Unfortunately it's not much... somewhere in the $18,000 range. Any recommendations? We'd like a 2008 (or a used car, '06 or '07, with low mileage) four door sedan with a good safety rating.

And any recommendations for getting a good price on a car? We're going to some dealerships tomorrow to see what prices we can get.

Thanks for any help!
TikiG

pink
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I work at a used car dealership as a receptionist and just some advice, never come early in the morning when they first open or right before they close because they won't give you the proper attention. If you come before they close they won't care what you say they just want to get out of there. Always check out car facts before you purchase and be aware that they always play the good cop bad cop between sales associates and managers. Best of luck, I hope you get a good car. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I too have a Saturn-2001-and can say I don't have any regrets purchasing it. I especially liked the fact that the price they gave you was REALLY the price. I hate to have to dicker over things. Expecially funny since I work at a jewelry store part time!

mrsgaribaldi
06-27-2008, 05:38 AM
My last 3 cars have been Saturns. I like to lease. I'm going with another type this year, a Toyota maybe. I know alot of people who love a Toyota corollas:mickey:

sardanem
06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
We had to buy a new car in January because my DH'c car also went and we bought a 2008 Toyota Corolla. It just has the basics, but I like to buy new instead of used as long as I can, and since I will probably need a new one next year, we would rather spend a little extra on bells and whistles on mine since that one is the family car and he just uses his to get back and forth to work. We really like to Toyotas. His last one had almost 200,000 miles on it. Good luck with whatever you pick. I also hated the whole process.

Lisa

ElenitaB
06-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Don't know if you're a member, but Costco has a car buying program. I also get a discount from my employer for Ford and GM cars. Maybe your school district has something similar.

I also own a Saturn and love it. I had other cars before and this by far is the one that has given me the least problems, and would buy another Saturn again at the drop of a hat. I bought this one used but ever since, I've had my eye on the Saturn Hybrid SUV.

That said, my major criteria for my next car is that it be a Hybrid.

Good luck with choosing your new wheels!

diz_girl
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Try a VW Jetta. They have 5-star crash test ratings for the side (front and rear passengers), 4-start ratings for a frontal impact and the basic model starts at under $18K. But don't think that if you get a basic model that there won't be anything in it.

In addition to the standard features that come in most cars, the standard features of a basic model Jetta (no options at all) are:

power steering and brakes
daytime running lights
side blinkers integrated into the side exterior mirrors
power and heated side exterior mirrors
tire pressure monitoring system
A/C
power windows with pinch protection
theft alarm and immobilization system
cruise control
outside temperature indicator
remote control keyless entry
illuminated vanity mirrors
power and AC adapter outlets
AM/FM with CD and audio input jack for MP3 files (an iPod jack is optional)
Driver and front passenger front and side airbags (rear passenger side airbags are optional)

As you can see you get more for your money with a VW.

Coming this fall is the diesel version, which has phenomenal gas mileage. It will probably be only an extra $1K or $2K more than the basic model, but you make it up quickly in cost savings, since the diesel version will get 50% better gas mileage of the gas-powered counterpart. My 2005 diesel Jetta averages 42 mpg and I've kept track since I bought it in April 2005.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-27-2008, 12:43 PM
I've owned 4 cars. 88 Pontiac Fiero, 93 Saturn SC, 96 Nissan 240SX and 06 Honda Civic Coupe. BY FAR the Honda Civic is the best car I've owned. They are great cars!

Husband has a 07 Civic Sedan which we got after trading in his 96 Civic Sedan that had 180,000 miles on it and was still running. My father has a 99 Civic Sedan and my BIL had a 96? Honda Accord that had over 210,000 when he sold it. And it was still running great. The only reason he sold it was because he's a musician and the amp he purchased wouldn't fit in a car of any size.

As far as the other 3 I'll NEVER own a car made by those manufactures again. Especially Nissan! I have a horror story about them.

DisneyDog
06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I recommend looking at a Kia. You really get a lot for your money, and they have really come a long way. I drive a Kia Rondo, and absolutely love it. Kias are now manufactured by Hyundai, but Hyundai is focusing more on luxury and Kia is focusing more on safety features. So, they are extremely safe automobiles.

TikiGoddess
06-27-2008, 02:11 PM
So we took the morning and went to three different dealerships. DH test drove a Saturn Aura (the car he's really had his eye on) and loved it. I loved it too -- what a quiet ride and beautiful styling. The salesman was willing to give us a good price in addition to the 0% financing.

That was at the first dealership. Then we went to the Hyundai down the street and drove the Sonata. Very similar to the Aura but not as nice.

The last dealership was another Saturn dealer. We wanted to see what they had in stock -- in fact, they had the very car we were looking for (red Aura, 4 cyl.). Unfortunately, they were not budging on price, plus it had more options on it.

So now we're waiting for the first dealership to call us back. In fact, as I'm typing this the phone rang and it was the salesman. We'll see if the car is ours!

To be updated later -- thanks for all the advice!!
Kathy

Georgesgirl1
06-27-2008, 07:25 PM
For the price range you are talking about I would look at a Honda Civic. DH and I own 4 older cars (a little ridiculous I know, but I can't seem to get DH to understand that!). The 1991 Civic has 325,000 miles and just had it's first real work done on it other than things that are meant to wear out like clutches. We would buy another Honda in a heartbeat.

I would also say used cars are the better option because someone else took the huge hit on the depriciation that happens right away. Just get a good independent auto tech to check it out to make sure that it is in good shape. DH is an auto tech and he does these inspections for all of our friends and family.
Good luck!

Kristin

TikiGoddess
06-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Weel, the deal went through smoothly and we go to pick up our Aura at 1pm today!

I can't believe how quickly it all went -- although the last 3 days have been nonstop research, conversations, and dealership visits.

Now the only thing left is for my DH to say goodbye to his old Saturn.... he's a little emotional about it, understandably. He bought that car 14 yrs ago when he was working at WDW. It followed him to Nantucket and now Connecticut, where we had our first date in that car... :)

Thanks for all the advice,
TikiG

Jeri Lynn
06-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Two of my daughters have Chevy Malibu's and they both love them and they get pretty good gas mileage.

I, on the other hand have an SUV that gets 14.8 MPG and although I love the truck, I wouldn't recommend it right now...luckily I don't drive all that often!

Ian
06-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Honestly ... my boss just got a new Nissan Versa and I have to admit, it's a pretty darn nice little car.

It's roomy and gets great gas mileage and I think it was about in your price range.

I'd check one out!

Ian
06-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Weel, the deal went through smoothly and we go to pick up our Aura at 1pm today!Or you could just buy a Saturn Aura. :blush:

disneydeb
06-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Weel, the deal went through smoothly and we go to pick up our Aura at 1pm today!

I can't believe how quickly it all went -- although the last 3 days have been nonstop research, conversations, and dealership visits.

Now the only thing left is for my DH to say goodbye to his old Saturn.... he's a little emotional about it, understandably. He bought that car 14 yrs ago when he was working at WDW. It followed him to Nantucket and now Connecticut, where we had our first date in that car... :)

Thanks for all the advice,
TikiG

Congratulations!~ new cars are so much fun!

kakn7294
06-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Congrats on the new car! My sister has a Saturn and I hate hers so I would never consider one - but bear in mind that a lot of my dislike for her car has to do with how she's taken care of it (or not!) - it's in really rough shape these days. I love my Jeep Liberty but it is a bit of a gas hog - I wish they'd come out with a hybrid model. Have fun with your new set of wheels - enjoy that new car smell!

garymacd
06-28-2008, 11:23 PM
BY FAR the Honda Civic is the best car I've owned. They are great cars!

I hated my Honda Civic. Mechanically, it was sound until about four months ago. But it was too small for me, too hard to get in and out of (Honest, I am not that large), too under-powered, too noisy, the speakers sucked, the list goes on. It's for sale. Any takers? I am probably the only person in the world who has owned a Honda and feels this way.

Now, "I got me a Chrysler, it sits about 20...",

and has all the room I need for my business supplies and equipment. Pretty good on gas, lots of power, easy to get in and out of, quiet, comfortable, the list goes on.