PDA

View Full Version : SW Flight Release?

BigRedDad
06-25-2008, 01:47 PM
SW is scheduled to release flights through Jan 9 tomorrow. Is there a specific time that they normally do this?

dizne4me
06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
That's a great question! I am prepared to get up early just to get the best price for our Dec. trip.

potzie
06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
It's usually around 10am Central Time, but it can be any time usually after that.

MuchLovedMama
06-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah, last time it was around 10:30 or so. Make sure you have the Ping thing downloaded & check that first because you may have a special offer waiting there for you.

bkfree
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
:rocks:
Man, I love this board. I had just signed on to ask this very question. I need to book our Dec. flights.
Thank You.
I go sign up for Ding now.
Yall Rock!!:thanks:

bkfree
06-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Make that PING!:blush:

Beast_fanatic
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Make that PING!:blush:

You were actually right the first time. :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
06-26-2008, 06:27 AM
OK. With the hopes of it coming early, I checked at 3:30AM and 6:00AM est. Nothing yet.

dizne4me
06-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I checked a couple of times as well --- nothing yet...But my question is what are the cheapest days of the week to fly on --- I can be a little flexible with my dates in early Dec. --but I want to get the cheapest airfare so I have more money to spend in WDW.

King Triton
06-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Yep, today is supposed to be the day. As mentioned earlier, the time is usually around 10 AM Eastern...but it wouldn't hurt to check a little before that.

One more tip for those of you that are anxious...sometimes they don't update the whole site at once. The new dates may show up on "Book a FLight" off the main page first, OR they may show up first by hitting the "Book Travel" tab across the top of the page. If you're looking for something that may go fast, try both.

Another tip which I think you all know anyway...just because they will be releasing dates out to January 9, it does not mean they will be sale fares. However, also keep in mind that Southwest is one of the best airlines in terms of letting you re-book. They'll give you a 12 month credit (I think from the date of rebooking) on any fare difference you may save.

Another thing...with all the nonsense going on with bag fees, seat fees, soda fees, etc., Southwest may book faster than normal.

And yet another thing (this will be the last, I promise)...the question always comes up, what about dates after January 9? They usually don't announce the next release this quick, but they did this time. The current plan is on August 21, they will release dates out to March 6. Of course, that could change...

Marilyn Michetti
06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Nooooooooooooooo..... I have Jury duty, and will be in downtown Phoenix Superior Court all day. Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!:thedolls:

I believe
06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Another tip which I think you all know anyway...just because they will be releasing dates out to January 9, it does not mean they will be sale fares. However, also keep in mind that Southwest is one of the best airlines in terms of letting you re-book. They'll give you a 12 month credit (I think from the date of rebooking) on any fare difference you may save.

I'm not sure I understand. Does this mean if I book today, and then say in two weeks a lower fare is released, I can rebook at the discounted rate?

thumperbug
06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
King Triton...thanks for the "approx" release date of Sept 11 for flights thru March. I need to book for Feb. Last time I had to book and did it on the actual release date...at 11 am...the flights I wanted were gone already. I will be prepared this time!!!

King Triton
06-26-2008, 09:55 AM
thumperbug..I hope those dates are correct. Be sure to check the 'Travel Tools' tab every now and then for the official date.

I believe...That's my understanding. Take a look at the ad SW is running on their main page, comparing themselves to other airlines. They say for the others: $100 change fee, SW is FREE. If you're not sure, it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. (I think someone mentioned awhile back that you can even do this online, but I haven't tried it myself)

Ed
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I just talked to Customer Relations; the new schedule will be released at 10:00 AM CENTRAL time today - - about 13 minutes from NOW!

:thumbsup:

King Triton
06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
OK guys...they're out there for the taking...good luck!

dolphinmickey9170
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
For those of you waiting for Southwest to release more dates, they just released flights through January 9th, 2009 via a DING! message.

Happy travels!!:mickey:

MMouse6937
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know if they're offering the 15% with the Ding?

fanofdisney
06-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow, I just checked for our flight home 11/1 and it is $159. Ouch!! Is that as good as it will get? That means we will be paying $353 round trip per person! I think I will be sick:sick:

Pookiesmom
06-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah! I just booked our flights for December. We got $132 each way out of Pittsburgh. Considering the USAirways fare for the same day is $700-something, we're thrilled. The flight times were very different from what we were expecting, so we get a little extra vacation time. We're not flying home till 5:30pm!! Good luck everyone.
pookiesmom

thumperbug
06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
SW has posted that on August 21 they will accept reservations thru March 6, 2009. For those of you looking to travel b/w January 9-March 6 mark your calendars and alarm clocks for August 21.

Tick-Tock
06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Does this mean if I book today, and then say in two weeks a lower fare is released, I can rebook at the discounted rate?

Yes, SW will issue you a credit for the difference. The credit is good for 12 months (though I think it's 12 months from the date of the original purchase, not the date of the credit itself).

Mammabruski
06-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Yippee! I just booked our flights for our November trip. I had been waiting for today for so long. Southwest was the cheapest non-stop flight for us by far. We paid $638 for both my husband and I (and our 1-year old DD). I'm also psyched because I thought we'd have to take a 4:05pm flight home, but the schedule was a little different so we got a 5:45pm departure time! That gives us almost an hour and a half more in MK the day we leave. I am on :cloud9:!

scootch713
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah! I just booked our flights for December. We got $132 each way out of Pittsburgh. Considering the USAirways fare for the same day is $700-something, we're thrilled. The flight times were very different from what we were expecting, so we get a little extra vacation time. We're not flying home till 5:30pm!! Good luck everyone.
pookiesmom

that is really high... I have $95(with all the fees and paid for seating) on USAIR for our November flight down..... the MOST I have ever paid for Nov/Dec from PIT is $211 each. Right now the flight I want back on southwest is $158, yikes..... but they usually do start out high and get lower. Last year I got my flights in late July/early August for midNovember.

Southwest will let you rebook and keep the amount as a "credit".... you can't get an actual money refund though, just credit.

epceddie
06-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Just checked on Southwest flights from Providence to Orlando Jan 4-9. They want $882 for two people!

We live in Taunton, Mass., and they're going to end up driving us to Boston, where flights for the same trip are $418 on AirTran. That's a difference of $464. Unbelievable!

I love Southwest. They're the only airline tofly nonstop from Providence to Orlando and T.F. Green is about the easiest airport to use, but that price is a little too much.

MMouse6937
06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I just booked for $595 for two of us from Albuquerque. I thought that was pretty good. I could have done $510ish on Delta but would have had to stop in Atlanta and they charge for a second bag. So I'm excited....buying the airline tickets always makes it feel real to me! :cloud9:

fupresti
06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I just booked by flight for the three adults in my group, Leaving December 6th and coming back on the 16th at it only cost me $15.00!

I do love those Rapid Rewards credits :secret:

mudpuppysmom
06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
We're flying out of Pittsburgh and I hate to say it, but Airtran is cheaper!! I'd much rather fly on SW, but for $60+ for three tickets, that is almost another ticket (since fares are $132 each way)......I did not book yet in hopes that a sale will come along, or at minimum they'll match the 99$ that Airtran has going......we'll see......

Pookiesmom
06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
We didn't go with AirTran because we wanted a direct flight. We're traveling with 4 children under 10 and making connections is just too complicated. Airtrans only cheap direct flight isn't till 6pm.
pookiesmom

Ed
06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
He shoots....he SCORES !!!

How's this for a switch? I was able to book flights AWAY FROM Orlando, flying out Christmas morning and returning January 2nd.

New schedule didn't actually appear online until about 11:15, and I jumped right on it; got our flights with no problem!

Off to Baltimore for the holidays!
:gift: :elf: :tree: :grinch: :deer: :santa2:

bkfree
06-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah! At exactly 10:30 this morning I was able to book our flights for our Dec. trip.
We were planning to go Wed dec 3 to Tues Dec 9 but by traveling back on the 10th is was cheaper. So we added another day to our trip. In the end the cost was the same but I would rather spend my money on another day at WDW than on airfare.
You also cannot beat their "baggage fly free"!!

They were the only airline with a direct flight and with two kiddos that is important.
The cheapest we had found was thru Delta and it was going to be about $1200 for the 4 of us, with a stop in Atlanta for a total of 3 1/2 hours travel.
SW is a direct 1 1/2 hour flight to the tune of $800 for the four of us!!!:thumbsup: