PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary tips

Crow
06-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Sept will be my first stay at CR. Ive eaten at CG & will again in Sept. I know about the short walk to MK & the gift shops.
any tips otherwise? i have a standard room booked but mayb an upgrade will happen.

mouseketeer mom
06-25-2008, 08:38 AM
We were really surprised how much we liked this resort. We stayed over Thanksgiving this past year. It was a high energy, close to the magic place! Even the pool, that so many people have made negative comments about, was terrific. I mean, it was right next to Bay Lake, it was pretty and serene, large and open. We didn't have ADR's for Chef Mickeys, but walked down from our room and they took us right in. And this was over Thanksgiving!! My family loved the flatbread pizzas at the grab and go. So many positives about the CR. Talk about feeling like you don't even leave the parks. You are close enough to reach out and touch the MK! Thats what it feels like at least! With the Poly and GF right across the way, you are surrounded by Disney classics whereever you look. Have fun!

KODABEAR
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
We've stayed at the CR during the Holiday Season :santa3::santa3: many times. It's close to MK for shopping, and easy to get to other resorts to view there decorations. We've also taken the Dgrandkids when they were toddlers. They loved watching the boats and monorail go by from our room. The feel of the CR is much busier the other resorts, but also lots of fun!!:minnie2:

Jen C.
06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
We loved our stay at CR. The renovated rooms are fabulous. We received our only free upgrade at CR. We had booked a reg. tower room, but were upgraded to the 12th floor, Atrium Club concierge. Here's to hoping you have the same luck!:thumbsup:

You'll really like it there!;)

Disnamic Duo
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Definately take advantage of the monorail transportation - especially to EPCOT (that's a great perk). Spend some time at the resort and soak in the Disney atmosphere. Rent a boat on the lake and see the castle from a different perspective. Definately go to CG for dinner. We did when we stayed there this past January - when we mentioned we were staying at the CR, they seemed to step up their service towards us - made us feel like VIP's. B'fast at Chef Mickey's is fun. Good luck with an upgrade - MK view is awesome!

Lynn J Mc
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Don't forget the Electric Water Parade.
Check your fridge as soon as you get there. Unless they have fixed the problem they tend to freeze up and they will have to bring you one that is thawed out. They also have to move it to a different place so that it won't freeze up again. Poor placement in a closet on the renovations. Does anyone know if they have changed this? Also, there is very little counter space in the bathrooms. We used one of the sinks as counter space. The sinks are flat squares now. They are so flat it is difficult for the water to drain. Now - all that being said -- this is my favorite resort! I love it's convenience and being able to hop off the monorail and take the elevator to the room. Wonderful. Have a great time!

Disney4
06-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I just got back from a three night stay this week. (we had a contiguous reservation at AKL for 9 nights before this stay)

On the plus side:

- We were upgraded to a tower room -very spacious

- The monorail transportation is great

- The staff was very professional.

- We ate at Wave. It was expensive, but very tasty. Service was great.

- The pool slide is one of the best at any resort.

OK - Now the negatives:

What's with the smoking? The smoking areas are everywhere!

The pool was filthy with dead bugs

The quick service area is very limited in selection.

The privacy glass on the bathrooms is NOT very private.

Above average quantity of rude guests. Somebody a coupel of floors up was eating ribs and discarding their bones on our balcony. :ack:

The capper - Our last night at the pool was cut short because of a HUGE rat that came running across the pool deck. The castmember who witnessed it with us just stated that they call the rats "birds" - confusing and discomforting. We did not stay to watch the movie on the beach.

MauiMouse
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Loved our stay at the Contemporary, always wanted to stay here as a child and got that opportunity a couple years ago thanks to a friend. We were in the South Garden Wing with a view of the lake, very pretty.

What I loved about the Contemporary:

Being able to walk to Magic Kingdom and back.
Just sitting in a hammock watching the world go by and the monorail too.
Easy access to Epcot as well.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Crow
06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Rats:mickey: are you sure it wasnt Mickey Rat?
i heard about the sinks.
i guess i will enjoy that its the original resort.
I always mean to enjoy the resorts & spend more time at them than I do.
I was wondering about refillable mugs, etc.
thanks for the tips
what about the boats to WL from CR? I have an ADR at AP 1 of the nights I'll be staying at CR. the other night Im eating at CG

Disnamic Duo
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
... The sinks are flat squares now. They are so flat it is difficult for the water to drain.

We had a problem with our sinks draining very slowly too. We called about it and they sent a guy up to fix it. After that they drained like normal sinks - no problem.

disneycutie165
06-26-2008, 10:32 AM
The Contemporary Resort is a good choice. The rooms are very casual, not that that's a bad thing.:sorry: It does offer great views of the MK. Dining and gift shops are great there!