PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Etiquette

Dreamer14
06-25-2008, 03:08 AM
I have been fortunate enough to work with the Walt Disney World Monorail System for the last 6 weeks and have seen and experienced things that surprised me. I know there are many Walt Disney World veterans out there who know about basic monorail etiquette but I want to share with you some things that I am able to witness everyday.

For starters, please stand clear of the doors!!! yes they will be closing in a moment.

Please offer seating to those needing special assistance, which means older people and females.

Please move all the way down the platform filling in all available space. It may seem packed but those trains can carry approximately 350 people.

Cars 3 and 4 are designated for guests needing special assistance, please do not stand there unless a host or hostess has made it clear that you are able to stand there. Strollers do not count as a guest needing special assistance.

Please do not approach a host or hostess and ask them if you can use the reserved gate for your stroller because your child is sleeping.

Do not get sick, ever, on the monorail. If you do however get sick just notify a host or hostess and they will be happy to assist you.

Always remember that things fall out of your pockets when sitting inside the monorail.

All of the monorail cars are the same, pick one!

When in a station do not exit the monorail car once you are inside, regardless if the doors are open.

Above each seat (alongside a wall) is an emergency hatch, it says pull for emergency!! it does not say pull here for a way to get out of the seat quicker.

Sometimes more trains are added to the line to decrease the wait time, please be patient. The process takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Remember that the front cab is a privilege, there are certain circumstances that does prevent the loading of that cab. If interested never just go in the cab, always ask a host or hostess near that area.

There are many more however these are the big ones. And the most important one is... The Express Monorail that runs between the Magic Kingdom and the Transportation and Ticket Center does not stop at a resort. To get to the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary you must be on the RESORT MONORAIL!!!!! not Express.

As a tip: When exiting the Magic Kingdom, if you need to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center use the Resort Monorail. It is the second stop on that line and the wait is always so much quicker than waiting in line for the express.

Take these notes into consideration and I hope to see you real soon at the Monorail.

scottgr
06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the info !!!:mickey:

Marker
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Please offer seating to those needing special assistance, which means older people and females.

All females need assistance??? Boy, I could think of a lot of comments to say here...... I think it would be wise to just let that one go with no further comment.:laughing: :bolt:

Cars 3 and 4 are designated for guests needing special assistance,

Would that be those same females metioned previously??? :laughing: :bolt:

Hayden's Dad
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
You know it is a shame that you feel the need to post this. Everything you said you would hope would be commen sense, but obviously it is not. Thank you :mickey:

laprana
06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
All females need assistance??? Boy, I could think of a lot of comments to say here...... I think it would be wise to just let that one go with no further comment.:laughing: :bolt:

Would that be those same females metioned previously??? :laughing: :bolt:

:ditto: I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm a female and thankfully don't need any special assistance. I would never expect someone to give up a seat for me just because of my gender! :confused:

Von-Drake
06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
:ditto: I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm a female and thankfully don't need any special assistance. I would never expect someone to give up a seat for me just beacause of my gender! :confused:

Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female. Especially if she is a mother, so she can sit next to her children. Last time I even noticed a young teenage boy get up on his own accord and offer his seat to an elderly lady. The mom looked shocked but proud, I think the dad looked embarrassed he did not think of it first.

Hayden's Dad
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
My mother would slap my face if I didn't give up my seat to a female. It is just the gentlemanly thing to do.

disneyorvegas
06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
This may be a bit selfish, but taking the resort monorail to the ticket and transportation center used to be almost a secret and a useful little tidbit of information for the people who were smart enough to figure it out for themselves. BUT, now it seems that everyone is mentioning to "take the resort monorail, there's less wait". I even heard a cast member yelling it one night after leaving the MK. So much for the convenience of the resort monorail during busy times, now the whole world knows about it, and if you don't know it by now, disney will announce it to you. I'm sure the resort guest really appreciate that, I know I do! (that was extreme sarcasm by the way).

tss22
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
So how would I get my 3 year old that LOVES trains a ride in the monorail cockpit?

Tick-Tock
06-25-2008, 11:10 AM
So how would I get my 3 year old that LOVES trains a ride in the monorail cockpit?

Ask one of the CMs on the platform. It's better if you wait until a less busy time, and you may have to wait through a monorail or two until they can accommodate you. They can only take up to 4 people, so any others in your party will have to ride in the regular cars. The trip from TTC out to Epcot is wonderful in the cockpit!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm from the NYC area, where men rarely give up seats to "females" (I prefer the term "women" as in the scientific community, "females" is generally reserved for animals). Even when I was pregnant, most men didn't bother to offer their seats to me, unless I politely but forcibly asked for the other passengers to make room for me. I think it's chivalrous when a man offers his seat for a woman to be close to her young, I mean children ;)

About strollers in cars 3 & 4. Every time we've ridden the monorail with our stroller, we were directed to our cars by CMs. Sometimes, those cars were handicapped accesible.

diz_girl
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM

He quite possibly meant pregnant females, which would make sense.

If he just meant females, then he maybe he was raised to offer his seat to a lady, like Von Drake or Hayden's Dad. Or maybe how he wrote it was different from how he meant it.

In any case, this female would appreciate the gesture.

tmosier
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM

I think I understand where you're coming from with that statement and I want to say thank you! Generally speaking, respect and manners have gone out the window and it is refreshing to see that there are others out there who still offer their seats to the elderly, the infirm, and women, etc.. :thumbsup: We all need to think of others first.

mom2morgan
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female. Especially if she is a mother, so she can sit next to her children. Last time I even noticed a young teenage boy get up on his own accord and offer his seat to an elderly lady. The mom looked shocked but proud, I think the dad looked embarrassed he did not think of it first.
ya know, it wouldn't be the first time I saw a teenager offer that courtesy while a healthy, 30ish man didn't think of it. In fact, it often seems to be the teenage boys and the older gentlement who do - not sure why. I think the best/worst one I ever saw was a blind man with a guide dog get up and offer his seat to an older lady, while several able bodied young people of both sexes stubbornly sat.

phillydan
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
You forgot the most important rule:

Please make sure you use deodorant before entering. :sick:

dumbo_buddy
06-25-2008, 12:01 PM
yikes i hope i never get sick on your monorail!

i have a feeling that most people, when they need to barf, do it unexpectedly. not sure anyone goes on the monorail deliberately ready to hurl.:ack:

SBETigg
06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
You forgot one, or I missed it:
Please allow previous occupants to make a safe and complete exit before you enter the monorail.

In some stations, say at the resorts, the exit and entrance are on the same side and I can't believe the people who try to storm on before the current occupants have a chance to exit. Bad form!

Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude. Now if I'm clearly more in need of a seat, that's different. But gender does not earn seat priority, for over thirty years now. Manners are updated with changes in social code, and women are no longer considered in need of deferential treatment. That's insulting. If you're giving up your seats to women, you're probably offending many of them. I do give up seats to anyone carrying small children or people clearly in need of seating.

Marker
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female.

Oh now, I wasn't making any reference as to whether or not you should offer your seat to a lady. I was just amused at the reference to females as "needing special assistance".

As to whether or not to offer up a seat...

... to an elderly person, absolutely.
... to a parent holding a child, you betcha.
... to a parent so they can sit with their child sure.
... but to female for the sake of being a female, not so sure. Sorry, but I grew up in a time when "equal rights" was all the rage. Giving up a seat, holding a door, standing when they enter or leave a room, it was drilled into us that those were sexist acts, and therefore insulting. I wonder why putting the seat down was never considered just as sexist, oh well, I digress.

So, to do something as a courtesy to someone, that's fine, but not solely because of gender.

Hayden's Dad
06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude

Wow never though I would get in trouble for trying to be polite. Oh Well not the first time won't be the last. Sorry but I will continue to open, or hold doors for ladies, offer my seat to them, etc... I like to think that chilvary is not dead, if I offend you for being polite then I apologize, but it won't stop me from doing so. I don't see how it is a matter of equal rights, I am not saying that you are incapable of standing because you are a woman just that if you would like to have a seat instead of standing then you are welcome to it is just being polite. I can't say I have had anyone get mad at me for doing any of those things at the time, but they may have been just quietly stewing over my male schovanistic attitude.

SurferStitch
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude. Now if I'm clearly more in need of a seat, that's different. But gender does not earn seat priority, for over thirty years now. Manners are updated with changes in social code, and women are no longer considered in need of deferential treatment. That's insulting. If you're giving up your seats to women, you're probably offending many of them. I do give up seats to anyone carrying small children or people clearly in need of seating.

It's too bad that so many women get offended by this. Thanks women's lib!

I don't see it as rude at all. I see it as a show of respect. I don't see it as deferential treatment at all, and I'm definitely not insulted.

I'm quite able-bodied, and don't mind standing, but I do appreciate men offering their seat to me, and will very politely refuse sometimes, just because I don't mind standing. I also love when they hold the door for me (which happens very often), and I always thank them for doing so.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to see gentlemen being gentlemen. It's a welcome behavior. :thumbsup:

Where's Your Laughin Place
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM
You know it is a shame that you feel the need to post this. Everything you said you would hope would be commen sense, but obviously it is not. Thank you :mickey:

I agree, all of this SHOULD be common sense! Unfortunately, I think a lot of people leave their courtesy @ home. (I know that none of you on here are guilty of this ;) )

I always give up my seat to any woman that is standing, it is just something I feel I need to do.

minnie-mouse
06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I am a female and would give up my seat for an older female, mother holding child, or pregnant woman for sure! Old school no, kind and considerate, yes.

Diznee4Me
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow never though I would get in trouble for trying to be polite. Oh Well not the first time won't be the last. Sorry but I will continue to open, or hold doors for ladies, offer my seat to them, etc... I like to think that chilvary is not dead, if I offend you for being polite then I apologize, but it won't stop me from doing so. I don't see how it is a matter of equal rights, I am not saying that you are incapable of standing because you are a woman just that if you would like to have a seat instead of standing then you are welcome to it is just being polite. I can't say I have had anyone get mad at me for doing any of those things at the time, but they may have been just quietly stewing over my male schovanistic attitude.

Well said Hayden's Dad. I was thinking the same thing. If my grandmother had ever seen me sitting and not offer a seat to a lady she would have been appalled.

Thanks for the reminder Dreamer14. Even though a couple caused some controversy :D they were well meaning and appreciated.

SBETigg
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
If you're equally kind to fellow men as to women, then I think it's great, a show of manners, and very kind. My husband opens doors for men or women, just to be polite. He routinely gives up his seats on monorails or buses- for men or women who seem to need a seat. I try to follow his example.

But don't do it just because I'm a woman. I'll decline the seat in favor of offering it to someone else, too. And I won't be offended. I'll just think you're a nice person. Unless you tell me you're just giving me the seat because I'm female, and then I might be offended. I'm sure those of you who do give up seats don't do it in an offensive way. Chivalry isn't dead, but it has adapted to suit the times.

Disney Doll
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM

I agree that it is not necessary to give your seat up to a woman just because it's a woman. Elderly women, pregnant women, disabled women, women holding a children- sure, but I am a young, able bodied woman and I would not feel comfortable taking a seat from anyone. However, if a seat was offered I would not be offended. I think most women know it is only meant as a polite gesture and those of us who don't want the seat will politely decline.

TheRustyScupper
06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Please offer seating to those needing special assistance, which means . . . and females.
. . . Gloria Steinem just went into fits
. . . does this mean Women's Lib is dead?
. . . can women not fend for themselves any longer?

Cars 3 and 4 are designated for guests needing special assistance
. . . does it actually say that?
. . . I never noticed a sign designating #3 & #4 cars

Do not get sick, ever, on the monorail. If you do however get sick just notify a host or hostess and they will be happy to assist you.
. . . can you predict this that well?
. . . or predict when a child will do the nasty?
. . . if you notify a host, will they stop the monorail?
. . . will they hold the bucket?

As a tip: When exiting the Magic Kingdom, if you need to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center use the Resort Monorail. It is the second stop on that line and the wait is always so much quicker than waiting in line for the express.
. . . of course, the security guard is supposed to stop this
. . . that is why one is stationed at the resort monorail entrance
. . . most monorail people know this
. . . if permitted, the resort monorail could be overcrowded
. . . and resorts guests would be upset about not getting onboard

brownie
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Nothing here that some common sense and common courtesy won't fix.

tmosier
06-25-2008, 02:23 PM
It's too bad that so many women get offended by this. Thanks women's lib!

I don't see it as rude at all. I see it as a show of respect. I don't see it as deferential treatment at all, and I'm definitely not insulted.

I'm quite able-bodied, and don't mind standing, but I do appreciate men offering their seat to me, and will very politely refuse sometimes, just because I don't mind standing. I also love when they hold the door for me (which happens very often), and I always thank them for doing so.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to see gentlemen being gentlemen. It's a welcome behavior. :thumbsup:

Absolutely! And boo to whomever years ago started the whole being-polite-to-a-woman-is-really-just-being-sexist thing!

Ropachs
06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Come October, if a man would like to offer this female woman mom a seat, I would be flattered! I expect my husband to do the same, just old-school manners to us!

Marker
06-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Chivalry isn't dead, but it has adapted to suit the times.

I wonder who gets to decide, who write the book. "This month, we will consider it acceptable ..." Sorry, a bit tongue-in-cheek but it is sometimes difficult to keep up when the "standard" apparently turns 180 degrees.
There isn't even agreement among the folks here.

However, it does point out, at least to me, that it's really not fair to make assumptions and judge others whether they do or do not offer their seat. I don't know their background, their culture, or their issues/difficulties. Whether or not I choose to offer a seat is not about what others around me have or have not done, or what they think. It's about me choosing to offer a kindness at that particular moment, to that particular person. But, that's just my interpretation.

Absolutely! And boo to whomever years ago started the whole being-polite-to-a-woman-is-really-just-being-sexist thing!

Kind of one of those "be careful what you ask for" things.

RalsFam
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I agree. I was raised to be a gentleman, it was instilled in me from a young age by my father and grandfather who I have always looked up to and wanted to be like. I mean no disrespect for holding a door or offering my seat to a lady. If that offends you, I hope you take it in the way it was meant. To me it is meant as a gesture of respect. I hope my son will continue to be the gentleman that he is becoming.

kakn7294
06-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I've always felt it's just common courtesy to offer someone else your seat, regardless of gender. As a 39 yo woman, I often offer my seat to older women and men - and they often take it. I also offer to pregnant women and anyone who just looks more beat than I feel - I've been on the other side and always appreciated the gesture so I assume that other people would be appreciative as well. I never thought it would offend so many people to have me, my DH, or my DD's to offer someone a seat but I'd rather offend by offering than appear rude for not offering.

momof3+twins
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
A question for Dream14: I have always wanted to ride in the front cab of the monorail. But, I am afraid to ask. Do you and the other monorail employees mind? Or is it a bother when people ask?
Thanks for your help!!

Von-Drake
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Well said Hayden's Dad. I am definitely on your side with this one. If some woman got offended over my polite gesture that is her problem. Maybe there is a difference here between woman and lady.

Disnamic Duo
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM

If you're "just trying to be polite", why not give up your seat to another man? Why just women? That IS cheauvanistic. I (and my wife) will HAPPILY give my/our seat to ANYONE who may need a seat more than us. BUT, being female alone does not constitute a greater need. And, I think treating women that way is an insult to their staus as equals to men. They are NOT inferior; unable to stand for a 5 minute monorail ride. Just what is the point of so-called chivalry? What's the motive behind it? If it's "respect" as some have said, do you "respect" women more than you respect men? Why?

KylesMom
06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Do not get sick, ever, on the monorail. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Obviously you are not a parent. What are you going to do, tell Johnny to hold it until the monorail doors open? Good Lord, like anyone can predict when they're going to woof! :sick:

Mickey'sGirl
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I've always felt it's just common courtesy to offer someone else your seat, regardless of gender. As a 39 yo woman, I often offer my seat to older women and men - and they often take it. I also offer to pregnant women and anyone who just looks more beat than I feel - I've been on the other side and always appreciated the gesture so I assume that other people would be appreciative as well. I never thought it would offend so many people to have me, my DH, or my DD's to offer someone a seat but I'd rather offend by offering than appear rude for not offering.Exactly. I suppose that if you had to label me, I would be called a feminist...but frankly it is a term as outdated as the idea of an ERA! I commuted to and from Toronto on busy public transportation when I was pregnant neither expecting and often not receiving a seat if one wasn't already vacant. I sure did appreciate it when someone gave me one though! :blush:

I want to thank Dreamer14 for the well intentioned post.

McGoofy
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Obviously you are not a parent. What are you going to do, tell Johnny to hold it until the monorail doors open? Good Lord, like anyone can predict when they're going to woof! :sick:

Brings a whole new meaning to "please stand clear of the doors...por favor....":ack::D

pogo
06-25-2008, 04:41 PM
I applaud the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention. But these rules per say, should apply to everyday life, not just WDW.

And I'm appalled by the reaction of some of the male posters who question and made fun of the comments.

:shake:

I always offer my seat to women of all ages, men that are older than me, and anyone that really needs it ! It IS the right thing to do ! :thumbsup:

Please stop with the, "I'm all for myself" attitude ! :D

Lizzie
06-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I didn't realize it was an issue to leave your kids in the stroller. Our last trip we traveled with our twins who were under the age of two. And our stroller was to wide for the normal doors, so the cast members would always let us wait to use a wider door. Sometimes it would take 3 monorails. But it was easier than trying to fight a stroller and two kids who didn't like to sit still.

damhnade
06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
My mother would slap my face if I didn't give up my seat to a female. It is just the gentlemanly thing to do.

And I'd slap you for thinking I need to sit anymore than you do. =) But that's just me.

Brer Longhorn
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
And I'd slap you for thinking I need to sit anymore than you do. =) But that's just me.

Wow, I see a thread closing coming soon. I hope y'all realize that some of us were raised a certain way and that offering a seat to a woman or opening a door is never meant as an insult. It's something I would appreciate someone doing for my wife or mother. Two of the strongest people I've ever met. It boggles my mind to even think that this would be looked at as attempt to userp myself as a superior sex or person. I'm just trying to be nice! You don't want my seat, don't take it. But it hurts to see us so PC that every little action has to be disected.

fysh
06-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Due to the diversity of social ideology what you may consider rude is in fact not at all rude because of the lack of malicious intent.

I respect your opinion, you are entitled to it and welcome to express it but I disagree that it is rude for a person to offer a seat based on gender. Just the diversity of social idedologies, that's all.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Yikes!

As a supporter of third wave feminism, I feel woman's lib was more about socio-political and economic equality than a retaliation against men for the practice of traditional and harmless mores (IMHO, that includes showing deference to a woman by offering her a seat).

To me, Disney World is about celebrating magic, kindness and happiness. Sometimes that means accepting that people show kindness in ways different from your own. I personally would just take a seat.

DisneyDog
06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I remember, just 5 years ago, getting on the monorail in August, 8 months pregnant, and had to stand. Not one person offered me a seat. Chivalry is definitely dead. I really could have used a seat.

disneygeek84
06-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm a female and I've given up my seat to dad who was holding his sleeping child while the mother was carrying the stroller. He tried to get his wife to sit down but she wouldn't do it. She said she was too tired to hold the child and she would have to if she sat, so it was his turn to sit.

I don't think it's being rude by any means, nor is it just a female thing. It's a matter of being polite, because obviously he needed the seat more than I did. It's the people with small children who don't make THEM move for someone who needs the seat more. That's what drives me nuts. I don't care if the men sit there while I stand, but when parents don't move their small children out of a seat and into their laps that drive me up the wall.

joonyer
06-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Offering up your seat to another person (whether male or female, old or young) or holding a door for them, etc. has nothing to do with their "need" to sit or inability to stand, or whether they have more merit to sit than anyone else because of their gender or age or anything else.

It has nothing to do with need or merit. It's all about "GRACE". In other words, unmerited kindness. Simply being gracious and/or kind to others not because they are need it or deserve it, but just because the world would be a better place if everyone would think of others (and act accordingly) before thinking of themselves.

Of course this concept has become almost completely alien in today's totally selfish "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" culture, but that doesn't mean that it is wrong.

If someone offers you a seat, either take it, saying "thank you" or just say thank you and politely decline if you wish, but don't act offended, that only makes you look like an inconsiderate (synonym for donkey). And the world definitely does not need more of those.

Instead, look for someone else to extend the same sort of kindness to, whether or not they have done anything to deserve it or appear to have any need for it. And do it even if you think they might be ungrateful. It is your action of kindness that is the reward, not the response you may or may not get. It's true very few people in the world do this anymore, but you can make your little part of the world a better place if you do and your life will better because of it.

jillluvsdisney
06-25-2008, 07:21 PM
As soon as saw 3 pages of responses I knew this was going to be who does and doesn't give up their seat to others.

I'll add my two cents. I am a young, able bodied woman. I will always give my seat up for a senior citizen. Whan I ride the "EL" in Chicago, I always get a seat for my Dad, even it means I stand the whole ride.

I think anyone offering their seat for another should be thought of as nothing more than a kind, thoughtful gesture.

Sharon1026
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Actually, it's the condescending thing to do. As if we are so much more weaker and frail that we can't stand for a 3 minute monorail ride.

Sharon1026
06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Wow, I see a thread closing coming soon. I hope y'all realize that some of us were raised a certain way and that offering a seat to a woman or opening a door is never meant as an insult. It's something I would appreciate someone doing for my wife or mother. Two of the strongest people I've ever met. It boggles my mind to even think that this would be looked at as attempt to userp myself as a superior sex or person. I'm just trying to be nice! You don't want my seat, don't take it. But it hurts to see us so PC that every little action has to be disected.

If you are giving up a seat to "be nice", then I am assuming that you are offering your seat to any person who comes on the monorail - male or female. If you aren't, then you aren't being nice, you are being condescending!

MissMaryPoppins
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Wow! I don't see anything wrong with a man offering a seat to a woman. I don't like being condsidered as someone who needs special assistance however. I prefer to stand while I'm on the monorail. I like being able to see things out the window and it's easier to be standing when my stop comes up. If someone offers me a seat I am grateful for their kindness but I politely decline and hold onto the rails.

Joy

mrsgaribaldi
06-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I offer a seat to whoever looks like they might need one, where ever we are. It's just being kind:mickey:

BelleCiavo
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM

I agree with you Hayden's dad and I am raising my three sons to give up their seats for ladies and, shocking, open doors for them. There are many things our culture deems as correct/incorrect today that we don't adhere to, what's a few more. :mickey:

Guya103
06-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I offer a seat to whoever looks like they might need one, where ever we are. It's just being kind:mickey:

I completely agree. The situation should not be so complicated. Offer a seat to whoever appears to need it. That person should realize your gesture of kindness.

Perhaps the new rule of thumb should be to get on the monorail and have everbody stand!:mickey:

BelleCiavo
06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Perhaps the new rule of thumb should be to get on the monorail and have everbody stand!:mickey:

:rotfl:

BronxTigger
06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not going to get into the giving up a seat for a healthy female thing, but it does seem like "pregnancy narcolepsy" is a common condition on public transit in America.

By this, I mean the amazing ability for most men and woman on a train to suddenly "fall asleep" the moment a visibly pregnant woman enters the car, thus seemingly avoiding the need to give up a seat.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow, and this thread is proof of why I hate women's liberation.

I'm 23, and female. While I ALWAYS opt to stand, I do not take offense when someone offers me a seat.

It's not condescending, it's not chauvinistic, or anything else bad to a woman. It's not by any means to be insulting. If you find it insulting, then perhaps you need to stop thinking you are so much better than everyone else because that is how it comes off, especially after reading some of these responses.

It's called courtesy, respect, and generosity. It's called having manners and being raised to think of someone other than yourself, and I applaud those parents that are raising their kids to be such. I know my children (when I have one) will be true ladies and gentlemen.

Then again, I've always been told I am very old-fashioned so forgive my old 1950's soul.

fysh
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Actually, it's the condescending thing to do. As if we are so much more weaker and frail that we can't stand for a 3 minute monorail ride.

If you are giving up a seat to "be nice", then I am assuming that you are offering your seat to any person who comes on the monorail - male or female. If you aren't, then you aren't being nice, you are being condescending!

Absolutlely not condescending. No, not at all. I think the term "condescending" is totally incorrect for this situation. "Condescending" implies the person descends from a position of superiority down to a lower level. In the situation of offering the seat the person offering shows no condescention, is not rude, is not impolite. The person is merely acting from a different perspective of social ideology than yours. These are not bad people doing bad things. Don't try to make them something they're not.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it and welcome to express it but I disagree with it.

tmosier
06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Wow!!

How about if we return to the vomit discussion? Or the weather? Or, .....hey look! It's Cinderella!

SBETigg
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Absolutlely not condescending. No, not at all. I think the term "condescending" is totally incorrect for this situation. "Condescending" implies the person descends from a position of superiority down to a lower level. In the situation of offering the seat the person offering shows no condescention, is not rude, is not impolite. The person is merely acting from a different perspective of social ideology than yours. These are not bad people doing bad things. Don't try to make them something they're not.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it and welcome to express it but I disagree with it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. To give up a seat to male or female based on consideration of others and the assessment that you don't mind standing while others may need to sit, not at all condescending. But based solely on gender? Textbook condescension.

Women are not more needy of sitting positions than men, thank you. Truly chivalrous men don't put themselves above others, but act out of a sense of general kindness to others. If that's your motivation, applause to you. I've given up my seat to men holding children. Why not? This doesn't make me saintly or worthy of extra praise, or worth belittling. I'm truly sorry to all the people who give up seats who thought I was criticizing. I thought I made myself clear in earlier posts. Giving up seats for others is kind and generous, and certainly nice. But please don't put women in the position of inferiority, if that's your motivation. If it isn't, you have no need to take issue or offense.

con·de·scen·sion
Pronunciation: \ˌkän-di-ˈsen(t)-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin condescension-, condescensio, from condescendere
Date: 1647
1 : voluntary descent from one's rank or dignity in relations with an inferior
2 : patronizing attitude or behavior

fysh
06-25-2008, 09:38 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. To give up a seat to male or female based on consideration of others and the assessment that you don't mind standing while others may need to sit, not at all condescending. But based solely on gender? Textbook condescension.

Women are not more needy of sitting positions than men, thank you. Truly chivalrous men don't put themselves above others, but act out of a sense of general kindness to others. If that's your motivation, applause to you. I've given up my seat to men holding children. Why not? This doesn't make me saintly or worthy of extra praise, or worth belittling. I'm truly sorry to all the people who give up seats who thought I was criticizing. I thought I made myself clear in earlier posts. Giving up seats for others is kind and generous, and certainly nice. But please don't put women in the position of inferiority, if that's your motivation. If it isn't, you have no need to take issue or offense.

con·de·scen·sion
Pronunciation: \ˌkän-di-ˈsen(t)-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin condescension-, condescensio, from condescendere
Date: 1647
1 : voluntary descent from one's rank or dignity in relations with an inferior
2 : patronizing attitude or behavior

Treating women with dignity and respect is not condescending behavior. I believe our definitions of condescending are exactly the same.

Don't put words in my mouth nor attribute things to me which I did not post. I have never posted anything anywhere to put women in the position of inferiority. I'll thank you not to imply that I did. Yes I am offended by and yes I take issue over false accusations.

If you will make reference to what I have actually posted I would appreciate it.

merlinmagic4
06-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I completely agree. The situation should not be so complicated. Offer a seat to whoever appears to need it. That person should realize your gesture of kindness.

That's actually what my husband and I do. We get on and let everyone else sit. If there is more space, one or both of us will sit. But it won't happen until everyone else has seat.

minnie1956
06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I am a 50 yo woman raised in a small town.
What a wacky thing "women's lib" did to our society. When basic good manners are thought of as condescending or rude????? it is so much easier to "ignore" people around you rather than interact on any level. It's very safe. My 18 yo DD offered her seat to a grandma our last trip to the world. I was so proud. Basic courtesy and decency is lacking today. Everywhere. Even at the world, I literally almost got knocked on my keester the person "pretended" to not even see me.
Random acts of kindness are so much fun,
I would recommend everyone try it!

irish1967
06-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I think that this is the type of post where people begin to nitpick words and phrasing used rather than take the spirit of the message.

The spirit of the message is a reminder about how to be a good rider.

It isn't about whether your two-year old knows when he is going to get sick or not. I think that any parent can tell you that up to a certain age, a child recognizes that he is about to get sick the exact moment he does so. That cannot be avoided or helped. What can be done is informing a CM as you exit the monorail so that measures can be taken to rectify the situation.

That being said, I have never seen a young child get sick on a monorail. I have seen an adult get on the monorail at the MK and toss his cookies before we even cleared the station. Prior to the "incident" we heard him say to the person he was with, "I really don't think I am going to make it" before the doors even closed :sick: (Could he have either waited or at least picked up a plastic bag on the way out of the park as an alternative to the floor?) Additionally, neither person said a word to the CM they walked passed as they exited the monorail - I did.

It isn't about whether a person who needs a seat more than you is young or old, male or female, it is about offering your seat to someone who might need it more than you do.

As someone who will be visiting the world sooner rather than later, I really appreciate the reminders as after a long day it is easy to phase out and not realize that all the riders can work together to make the rider more pleasant for everyone on board! :thumbsup:

Ian
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female.I must be old school, too, because I always give up my seat to women and seniors.

In fact, I will rarely sit down on the monorail until everyone has boarded, the train has left the station, and there's still an empty seat. The only exception to that if the kids are acting up or something and I need to sit to help rein them in.

btw the whole back and forth about condescending or not condescending? Ridiculous ... it's called manners or "being polite" ... offering my seat to a woman is not done to imply she's incapable of standing. It's done as a gesture of good grace and deference to her standing in society.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
You forgot one, or I missed it:
Please allow previous occupants to make a safe and complete exit before you enter the monorail.

I agree with this! It drives me crazy when people don't allow others to exit whether it be the monorail or an elevator before entering.

I would like to give kudos to Hayden's Dad, Von-Drake, RalsFam, Brer Longhorn, Ian and any other man who offers up their seat to the elderly, women or anyone else. I'm a woman and am very impressed by any man that offers his seat. I think it's just common courtesy and it's a shame that most men don't.

Camping Mom
06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you Haydens Dad and Cpt. Jessica Sparrow...I agree.

I am a 51 female and I would never dream of getting offended if someone gave up their seat for me....I would be shocked, but not offended. IWOULD be offended if one of my sons sat when there was someone who needed the seat more than they did.

It is so sad to see so many so self important that they feel they are OWED a seat. Certainly you sit if there is room, but if an elderly person or a worn out mom or dad struggled on the monorail holding a sleeping baby, they are getting my seat. It IS called courtesy.

I guess young people just follow the examples that they are taught or see. Why don't we all make it a policy to give our seats up to someone who needs it the next time we are on the monorail. If nothing else, it might warm our hearts.

DisneyorBust
06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Well, in my line of work I get the see the worst and more importantly, the best of people.
That being said, I routinely hold doors open for men and "shockingly" women too! I have given my seat to men, women and children.
I am dismayed that I have been offending people for all these years.
To all those that I have held a door open for, I apolgize. To those I have given my seat to, I am truly sorry and ashamed.
My last statement is to the OP....thanks for posting this. It is always good to revisit what should be common sense. Thank you.
Life is too short and precious to be offended if someone holds a door open or offers a seat to you.

Sneaky Pete
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude.

That may very well be the rule in the North but that is clearly not the rule in the South. Respectfulness and politeness are never considered rude in the South.

mom2morgan
06-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Any time you want to offer me a seat, I'll gratefully accept. I don't EXPECT it, nor do I ordinarily REQUIRE it, but I'll always appreciate it. Sad, sad world we live in if courtesy is ever considered "rude". Glad I live in a redneck backwater where the boys are still raised to hold doors for the ladies ;-)

ps TO THOSE WHO ARE OFFENDED ...next time a man offers you a seat, just say "no thank you". What's the big deal?

TheMartellFamily
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I will only take a seat if and when there is one open after the monorail or bus starts to go. Oh let me say first I am a women. I will open doors for men or women if I am there first it is just polite. I know after a day in the parks man or women everyone is beat, I will offer my seat to anyone. I know sooner or later when I get back to my resort I will sit at that time. I also know that if I do sit I am just as dogged as everyone else it makes it so much harded for me to walk to the room. I just stand, it is just easier for me. I am women and an equal so I will do one for another. I know everyone wants to sit so I will make sure they do before I do no matter who THEY are.

Tigerinvestigator
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
What would Walt have done? Give up his seat to a Lady out of respect!! This post is a little glimpse into what is wrong with this country:ill:. No respect, politically incorrect to be polite, and people actually getting angry because men are trying to be Gentlemen. I consider myself a Southern Gentleman and always give up or at least offer my seat to a Lady whether it is on the bus or monorail. I open and hold doors for Ladies and say yes and no Ma'am. :thumbsup:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, in my line of work I get the see the worst and more importantly, the best of people.
That being said, I routinely hold doors open for men and "shockingly" women too! I have given my seat to men, women and children.
I am dismayed that I have been offending people for all these years.
To all those that I have held a door open for, I apolgize. To those I have given my seat to, I am truly sorry and ashamed.
My last statement is to the OP....thanks for posting this. It is always good to revisit what should be common sense. Thank you.
Life is too short and precious to be offended if someone holds a door open or offers a seat to you.

Yes, this is a good post.

Disneyorbust, I think you have said it best. No apologies necessary from my viewpoint.

This is all about interpretation of someone else's actions. One may interpret the gesture differently than another. What some think is kind, others find ridiculing. So just keep doing what you normally do like opening those doors or offering your seat if this is what you were raised to do. If it offends someone, then that is how they choose to feel/react.

Chauvenistic? Not unless, a man comes right out and says to you "Oh you poor inferior little lady, why don't you take my seat?" Who cares what their intentions are? If I am tired and they offer..you better believe I am going to take the seat. I am not easily offended.

Young@Heart
06-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Speaking as the mother of two boys, 14 and 12, I will proudly say they have been taught to hold doors, give up seats, and even stand when a woman or young lady joins the table. I'm sorry if a few people find this offensive, but personally-I'm offended by a society that doesn't teach this to all young men. I'm also thankful DH is a gentleman and a great role-model for our boys (and for DD-so she knows what to expect in the future ;) ).

SurferStitch
06-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Well said Hayden's Dad. I am definitely on your side with this one. If some woman got offended over my polite gesture that is her problem. Maybe there is a difference here between woman and lady.

Very good point!

I also totally agree with Hayden's Dad. Thank you for being a gentleman!

SurferStitch
06-26-2008, 06:41 AM
If you're "just trying to be polite", why not give up your seat to another man? Why just women? That IS cheauvanistic. I (and my wife) will HAPPILY give my/our seat to ANYONE who may need a seat more than us. BUT, being female alone does not constitute a greater need. And, I think treating women that way is an insult to their staus as equals to men. They are NOT inferior; unable to stand for a 5 minute monorail ride. Just what is the point of so-called chivalry? What's the motive behind it? If it's "respect" as some have said, do you "respect" women more than you respect men? Why?

Wow. You are WAY off here.

Nobody who is considerate here (i.e. offers their seat to a lady) thinks that women have a greater need to sit. None of them are talking status here.

Because of women these days, my DH is almost afraid to offer his seat to a woman, even though he does it all the time. He has never, ever....not once been given a cold reception to his offer. Not every woman has accepted, but none appeared "offended" (blows my mind that a woman, who is supposed to be so strong and independent these days, can get offended by something as sterile as an offer to sit).

DH almost never gets to sit on the monorail. The only time he does is if there are enough seats for everyone plus himself. If someone has to stand, he does, too. He said once that he almost feels bad for the one person who has to stand, so he'll join the party and stand with them. I give up my seat to any elderly person, pregnant lady, children, or anyone who looks like they need it. I won't even let a parent stand if their children get to sit.....I let them sit next to their kids. Like I said, I have no problem with standing.

jilwil
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." :yes:

Raising a 15 year old gentleman here! Not only do I encourage him to hold doors for others, I also insist when we are in a restaurant that he let the ladies at the table order first. Thank you to all the men on this board that I don't know, have never knowingly seen, who may in this small world have offered me a seat, or especially my mother. I appreciate your genuine kindness! :)

Mickey'sGirl
06-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Wow!!

How about if we return to the vomit discussion? Or the weather? Or, .....hey look! It's Cinderella!
....hey what about that Stitch announcement as we approach MK? ;)

drummerboy
06-26-2008, 08:37 AM
There has been a lot of generalization going on about how women's lib has ruined the country or about how giving up a seat to a woman is condescending, etc. or how everyone is rude these days.

I still see acts of kindness and grace on a pretty contant basis (although it may be different in other parts of the country), and those acts are done by males and females of all ages.

The act of giving up seats, holding doors, etc. has always been a sign of respect and deference to me, the opposite of what a few people on here have perceived it as being. In general, you are putting the other person's welfare ahead of or above your own. It is not a sign that the offeror thinks the offeree is to frail to stand or open their own door or whatever.

I think the old notion of these things being rude is a holdover of those who got a little too carried away with the movement that started when I was still in high school. It looks to me like more recent generations of women have been making headway in discerning the real issues of equality and not getting hung up on side issues.

SBETigg
06-26-2008, 09:11 AM
So maybe someone just needs to explain to me why apparently healthy women need seats more than men. I must just be missing the piece that makes this a show of good manners or respect. How is it respecting a woman to give her your seat? How is that not condescending to get up for me simply because I'm a woman? And do the same men who give up seats for women give them up for men? I never said that I don't appreciate kind gestures and exhibiting good manners. It is the reasoning behind the male getting up for the female that I don't understand.

I'm not criticizing. I'm simply fascinated. I had no idea this still existed as a way of thought for people who aren't in my grandparents' generation. Women who appreciate men giving up their seats and take the seats without feeling bad that men have given them up-- why do you feel you should sit while men stand? And where are these men who routinely vacate seats? I must never be at WDW with you all. Besides my husband, no one has ever offered me or any of the women around me a seat anywhere. This is probably why I thought it was an outdated school of thought, along with the idea that women should keep house and raise the children.

In fact, I usually see a good mix of men and women standing on the buses and monorails, and plenty of men sitting. This leads me to believe that the posters who claim to give up seats for women as routine practice never get seats, and that's just wrong after a tiring day in the parks. I feel for you polite gentlemen.

Sammyjo
06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I am a 28 year female and I think it is fabulous when a man offers me a seat. It makes me feels special that someone is considering me. I may not accept the seat, but appreciate the jester. I appreciate all acts of kindness from any gender. An offer of help may not be a comment on my inferiority, but a comment on their kindness and good manners.
Thanks for the reminder of rider etiquette. I will try to avoid getting sick and anyone who is sick. That cracked me up!

drummerboy
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm not criticizing. I'm simply fascinated. I had no idea this still existed as a way of thought for people who aren't in my grandparents' generation.
This is a way of thought for my grandparent's generation, my parent's generation, my generation, my kids' generation, and my grandchildren's generation. Surely you didn't mean to imply that these types of manners are relegated to 'old people', did you? You might get an 'elder lib' revolution started here. :D

Hayden's Dad
06-26-2008, 09:37 AM

Thats okay I would rather risk getting slapped by you than my mother who taught me my good manners. :D

SBETigg
06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
This is a way of thought for my grandparent's generation, my parent's generation, my generation, my kids' generation, and my grandchildren's generation. Surely you didn't mean to imply that these types of manners are relegated to 'old people', did you? You might get an 'elder lib' revolution started here. :D

I'm not sure. ;) I know quite a few "elderly" who would prefer to be seen as able-bodied enough to stand on a monorail, too.

I disagree that it's a way of thought for generations past the whole seventies women's lib movement. Maybe it's because I went to a womens college and bought into the fact that I'm capable for myself and I don't need men to cater to me.

My thinking, and the manners that I teach my children, is that it's just polite to open doors for anyone behind you, men or women. It's good manners to give up seats based on apparent need, not on gender. My whole family, males and females, gives up seats for others who need it more, but not due to gender roles alone. And we always take our hats off (ball caps included) at the table for meals. How often do you see that anymore? That's one that gets me more than the whole holding doors, offering seats thing. I guess I'm old-fashioned in some ways, too, but to me taking your hat off at the table is just good manners. But so off topic.

Dakota Rose
06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Hear, hear to giving up your seat for a gal like me! I will happily accept your seat, especially now that I'm a mother. I won't be offended, it doesn't threaten my independence or confidence, nor will I think you to be sexist. In turn, if a person needing a seat more than I do, I will offer my seat to him/her. I heartily believe that part of society's problems are resultant from a serious lack of manners. But that's what I love about living in ND. Men of all ages, including my 4 yo son, open doors for women.

Disnamic Duo
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Wow. You are WAY off here.

Nobody who is considerate here (i.e. offers their seat to a lady) thinks that women have a greater need to sit. None of them are talking status here.

Because of women these days, my DH is almost afraid to offer his seat to a woman, even though he does it all the time. He has never, ever....not once been given a cold reception to his offer. Not every woman has accepted, but none appeared "offended" (blows my mind that a woman, who is supposed to be so strong and independent these days, can get offended by something as sterile as an offer to sit).

DH almost never gets to sit on the monorail. The only time he does is if there are enough seats for everyone plus himself. If someone has to stand, he does, too. He said once that he almost feels bad for the one person who has to stand, so he'll join the party and stand with them. I give up my seat to any elderly person, pregnant lady, children, or anyone who looks like they need it. I won't even let a parent stand if their children get to sit.....I let them sit next to their kids. Like I said, I have no problem with standing.

Gee, thanks for straightening me out...

The point you and many others here are missing is - why is this politeness directed towards every group of people EXCEPT men?! (Elderly, parents, sick, handicapped, children, and WOMEN - but not men. )So many people here are implying that we who have a problem with this type of thought are self-important. However, all the comments I've read say just the opposite. WE consider being polite to ALL others - EVEN men! Like I said, my wife and I REGULARLY give up our seats to ANYONE who may need it more than us. Being female doesn't seem to constitute a NEED to me. No one has given a good reason why a woman should be offered a seat over a man - NO ONE! The only "reason" so far is, "it's just the right thing to do." Well I'm asking people to use theit brains and tell me WHY it's the right thing to do. Don't tell me it's polite. I'm all for being polite/considerate/treating others as I want to be treated. I'm asking why is it right to offer your seat to a woman, but NOT to a man?

On the self-important topic, have you read some of the responses from the female posters here? Of the ones who are for men offering their seats to women, in general, some have said being offered a seat makes them "feel special", or "flattered".

AGAIN, I (and I think most who feel like I do) believe we should ALWAYS be looking for someone to offer our seat to. I DO NOT THINK I'M IMPORTANT. I just think all you guys who are looking to give your seat up for a "lady" (to impress them? - yeah) ought to see if there's someone else around (maybe even a guy) who might need it more.

Disnamic Duo
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
btw the whole back and forth about condescending or not condescending? Ridiculous ... it's called manners or "being polite" ... offering my seat to a woman is not done to imply she's incapable of standing. It's done as a gesture of good grace and deference to her standing in society.

Then why offer your seat to women and NOT men? THAT is the whole point of this debate. Where in the "book of manners" does it say you should offer your seat to a woman ONLY? And WHY? By MY definition of manners, you'd offer your seat to ANYONE - including a man. If yours is different, why?

tmosier
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
No one has given a good reason why a woman should be offered a seat over a man - NO ONE! The only "reason" so far is, "it's just the right thing to do." Well I'm asking people to use theit brains and tell me WHY it's the right thing to do. Don't tell me it's polite. I'm all for being polite/considerate/treating others as I want to be treated. I'm asking why is it right to offer your seat to a woman, but NOT to a man?

I'm definitely not saying "it is right to offer your seat to a woman, but NOT to a man." That's not the case all.

As for, "I'm asking people to use theit brains and tell me WHY it's the right thing to do. Don't tell me it's polite." That's an excellent question and one I will give thought to. But I suspect my answer won't be satisfactory to you because it seems you are looking for a concrete, practical reason why it is considered good manners for a gentleman to offer a seat to a lady. Sometimes there are not concrete, practical answers and this could very well be one of those situations. Some things cannot be explained in black and white, but that doesn't mean the basic belief is flawed or invalid.

Let me ask you a question out of curiosity. Do you refer to men as "Mr." and women as "Mrs.", "Miss", or "Ms."? I'm not trying to prove a point; I just want to know a little more about where you're coming from.

Marker
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I find it kind of sad that kindness has to be justified. Does it really need to matter why, or who. Why can't it just be a spontanious act of kindness.

Must the offering, or lack of offering, of a kindness be motivated by social appearances, judgements, or the threat of a violent consequence ( "I'd slap you " ). Must a kindness be met with suspicion and contempt rather than a gracious "thank you" or "no thank you".

Are we really comfortable with a standard that makes kindness towards other politically INcorrect.

Diznee4Me
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Bottom line:

I was taught (or reared as we say in the South:D) to offer my seat, open door, etc. for a lady. As I have grown older I have broadened my view into offering assistance to anyone who needs it. That could mean a younger man holding a child, an older woman who appears tired, a tired child that wants to sit next to a parent, and yes it still means, IMHO, a lady.

If I feel the need to offer my chair to whomever, it is their responcibility to accept it or deny it. I have offered out of kindness, not in being condescending.

Again, thank you Dream14 for starting this thread and I, personally, appreciate the varied comments. Afterwall, diversity is what makes the world go round - oh, and those centrifcal forces, the sun, moon, gravity, etc. :D

Wells
06-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow!...This "offering your seat to a woman" controversy has certainly become divisive....
Just do what I do....don't sit down in the first place and avoid the whole thing. On the monorails or busses, the trips are'nt that long that you can't just stand, the view is better anyway....

Pastcastmemberdaughter
06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd like to say "Thank you" to anyone who would offer me a seat or open a door for me. I do the same for others and I just appreciate a thought of someone doing it for me in return.

One question though.....If a someone would offer a women a seat or open a door for a women how in fact would that women know to be "offended"? Unless they say "I'm offering you this just because your a lady." Even if a women is the only one left standing it doesn't neccessary mean the seat is being offered just because they are a women, it could be a simple act of kindness from one person to another.

It seems to me like a double edge sword for a man at times. They are looked on as rude by lets say not offering a sit by some and looked at as being sexist by others by offering a seat. Geez, again why can it not just be a kind gesture from one [U]person[U] to another [U]person.[U]

All in all I just enjoy the fact that someone was kind enough to do this certain gesture towards me and assume that this person just decided to be nice to me. I'm not going to put a sexist spin on anything unless it's obviously done so.

wdw dude
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I have broadened my view into offering assistance to anyone who needs it. That could mean a younger man holding a child, an older woman who appears tired, :D

What about a younger man not holding a child? It would be "polite" or "kind" to offer your seat to him.

You've "broadened your view" to include "older women???????" I would offer my seat to an older woman OR man. They would need it before a young woman in good physical health.

MNNHFLTX
06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I grew up in in the height of the feminist movement and think that some of the viewpoints expressed here had their place in helping women assert their equality to men. But it seems to me that in this day and age we have advanced enough as a society that we can take the chip off of our shoulder a bit when it comes to these types of polite gestures. I think all men (and women) would say that they do not offer a seat to anyone because they feel they are less capable, but because of inherent traditions passed down from generation to generation and because of compassion for another individual. The intentions are pure, I"m sure, and so whether one agrees with them or not, a gracious reply ('yes, thank you" or "no, thank you") in return in warranted.

Personally I would never take offense to someone expressing an offer of kindness--it's something the world could use more of, regardless of gender.

That said, this discussion has evolved into something better suited for the Water Cooler forum, rather than Theme Parks. So we should get back on track with the original poster's topic of general monorail ettiquette (thank you to Dreamer14 for offering their insight).:mickey:

luvdiznee
06-26-2008, 12:25 PM

:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Gee, thanks for straightening me out...

Aw...you're welcome. :thumbsup:

Diznee4Me
06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
What about a younger man not holding a child? It would be "polite" or "kind" to offer your seat to him.

You've "broadened your view" to include "older women???????" I would offer my seat to an older woman OR man. They would need it before a young woman in good physical health.

Those were merely examples pertaining to the monrail/bus. I could have included many more examples - old woman, young woman, old man, young man, tired, kids, no kids. I then wrote "If I feel the need to offer my chair to whomever, it is their responcibility to accept it or deny it."

I would always offer my seat/open a door, etc. to any lady, regardless of age, but as I have grown older, and I hope, more considerate, I would offer my seat/open door, etc. to anyone I thought needed that help.

BandMan
06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I've just been sitting here chuckling as I read these posts. It's interesting to watch the rude comments used as we attempt to establish which side has the better manners. :haha: Am I the only one seeing the irony in this?

Clearly there are both cultural and generational differences with this issue. I can understand both viewpoints and don't have a problem with either one. I find the least polite thing is the tone of moral superiority expressed by either side in asserting their ways are the correct ones.

As I understand it, the definition of good manners is doing that which attempts to make others comfortable. Why don't we all just do that which we believe will make others most comfortable, and assume (unless we have reason to believe otherwise) that others are doing the same. That way, we need not be offended when someone does or doesn't offer a seat, opens a door, or even :sick: hurls on the monorail.

Dreamer14
06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses to this post. It was not my intention to offend anyone. My etiquette ideas were strictly based on observation. I am not asking anyone to follow these policies or even consider them, I am just offering some information about how to make the Walt Disney World Monorail System one of the best means of transportation for all Walt Disney World Guests.

And as an answer to some of the questions that I saw asked to me... Cars 3 and 4 have a blue wheelchair sign on the gates to designate the guests needing special assistance cars. If there is no blue sign at that gate then you can stand there.

To ask for the front cab always ask the host or hostess at the front of the train, they will be happy to assist you. The front cab is all based on availability and is a privilege.

Disney Doll
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I've just been sitting here chuckling as I read these posts. It's interesting to watch the rude comments used as we attempt to establish which side has the better manners. :haha: Am I the only one seeing the irony in this?

Clearly there are both cultural and generational differences with this issue. I can understand both viewpoints and don't have a problem with either one. I find the least polite thing is the tone of moral superiority expressed by either side in asserting their ways are the correct ones.

As I understand it, the definition of good manners is doing that which attempts to make others comfortable. Why don't we all just do that which we believe will make others most comfortable, and assume (unless we have reason to believe otherwise) that others are doing the same. That way, we need not be offended when someone does or doesn't offer a seat, opens a door, or even :sick: hurls on the monorail.

Well said!! I think both sides have valid points. However, I think this is an issue where we should consider the intention behind the offer. I am positive that every man who has ever offered me a seat only meant it as a courtesy. While I can see that it could be condescending I am absolutely positive that men who are offering seats have simply never thought of it that way. I appreciate the kindness, but I hate to be sitting when there's probably someone else who could use the seat more (man or woman). It's been interesting to read all the responses and see how different we all are.

DizNee143
06-26-2008, 02:08 PM

I'm 23, and female. While I ALWAYS opt to stand, I do not take offense when someone offers me a seat.

It's not condescending, it's not chauvinistic, or anything else bad to a woman. It's not by any means to be insulting. If you find it insulting, then perhaps you need to stop thinking you are so much better than everyone else because that is how it comes off, especially after reading some of these responses.

It's called courtesy, respect, and generosity. It's called having manners and being raised to think of someone other than yourself, and I applaud those parents that are raising their kids to be such. I know my children (when I have one) will be true ladies and gentlemen.

Then again, I've always been told I am very old-fashioned so forgive my old 1950's soul.

OMG..DITTO!!
LOVED the way you said it!!
couldnt of said it better myself!:D

momof3+twins
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Go Captain Jessica!!!!

You have it right!!!

drummerboy
06-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Wait, I have an obvious solution to the problem. We need to demand more seating! :D

As far as the original post, I wonder if there's a higher incidence of cookie tossing onthe monorails, or if it's just harder to clean up? And on a side note to that, from one who had to clean up quite a few 'biological mistakes' as a park ranger years ago, hats off the to CMs who have to deal with it.

Disnamic Duo
06-26-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm definitely not saying "it is right to offer your seat to a woman, but NOT to a man." That's not the case all.

As for, "I'm asking people to use theit brains and tell me WHY it's the right thing to do. Don't tell me it's polite." That's an excellent question and one I will give thought to. But I suspect my answer won't be satisfactory to you because it seems you are looking for a concrete, practical reason why it is considered good manners for a gentleman to offer a seat to a lady. Sometimes there are not concrete, practical answers and this could very well be one of those situations. Some things cannot be explained in black and white, but that doesn't mean the basic belief is flawed or invalid.

Let me ask you a question out of curiosity. Do you refer to men as "Mr." and women as "Mrs.", "Miss", or "Ms."? I'm not trying to prove a point; I just want to know a little more about where you're coming from.

Concrete? No. Just a simple reason why, that's all. Where do your ideas of "polite" come from? Many posters have said "I always hold a door for a lady." Why not "I always hold the door for ANYONE?" I do. Sometimes those things that "cannot be explained" should be given a little thought (as you said you're going to do). Many atrocities have been committed throughout history because of people doing what they were taught without considering WHY. I'm NOT saying this is an atrocity - just something that has a reason; an origin, that should be thought about. I believe in treating others as I want to be treated. Notice the word "others" - not (only) "women."

Mr., Ms., Mrs., Miss - I really don't have a preference. Do you know how these titles came about? Why don't men have a different title to distinguish single males from married? I'm sure there's a reason....

SBETigg
06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm really fascinated with the manners discussion. I'm sorry some people are getting offended by it, but I think it's an interesting study on manners, why we act, and what we all believe. I also think that most of us are taking it with a grain of salt and not as a personal attack on our beliefs.

I looked it up, for those interested. I'm in a career field in which the way people perceive the male/female dynamic and what people expect to be proper treatment of each other does come into play, especially as it relates to gender roles. It is, in fact, a custom that comes from the time when women were considered the "weaker sex." This no longer holds.

Etiquette books have changed with women's changing role in society. It's not a matter of opinion, but of fact, that offering your seat to a woman based on gender alone is akin to saying you believe her to be the weaker sex, which makes it a condescending gesture. Condescension by nature is not born out of malice, but usually stems from ignorance. If some women don't mind being perceived as weaker and find it charming, so be it. I prefer to be viewed as an equal in society. I fail to see how this warrants scorn or a need to check my credentials, to see if perhaps I'm a Ms. not a Mrs., or one of "those" women.

By today's etiquette standards according to my research, it is proper to offer seats to young children, those struggling with young children, the elderly, the pregnant, and the infirm. Interestingly enough, I found the same answers on Japanese sites, British sites, and American sites. None of them suggested giving up your seat to a woman, but none specifically said it was offensive to do so, either. I think we should perhaps err on the side of assuming all gestures are done out of politeness, even if they reflect ignorance of the manners of today in favor of old-fashioned charm. But I also think the OP needs to amend his rules to the more accepted modern view when it comes to offering seats to others. Of course, he's right about getting sick on monorails. That's just bad form. :)

Figment52
06-26-2008, 08:09 PM

I think the problem is this - men may give up their seat now because it's "polite" and "proper", but the origin of the act was born out of thinking woman the lesser sex. That is fact. Chivalry was born out of the thinking that the man needs to take care of his woman because she couldn't. As such, some may be offended by it since it's a holdover from a different time and can have negative connotations.

That being said, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. You want to offer your seat to me, fine. I may or may not take you up on it. Likewise, DD and I will offer our seats to anyone with small kids, lots of bags, those who look exhausted, pregnant women, to keep families together, or anyone who looks like they need it more than we do. Men or women. We do not give up our seats to people just because they are standing and we aren't, and we don't feel that others should be obligated to do so for us. Politeness aside, if the bus is full, than there will always be someone standing. Them's just the breaks of getting there last.

CaptSmee
06-26-2008, 08:33 PM
:ditto: I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm a female and thankfully don't need any special assistance. I would never expect someone to give up a seat for me just beacause of my gender! :confused:

This used to be considered being a gentlemen, but hey I have no problem not giving up my seat for you!

Tigerinvestigator
06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I think the problem is this - men may give up their seat now because it's "polite" and "proper", but the origin of the act was born out of thinking woman the lesser sex. That is fact.

Actually that is not fact. Chivalry and giving up their seat was part of the competition between men trying to court the women. It had nothing to do with considering them the lesser sex. Men used these acts to make themselves more attractive to women. That is fact.:thumbsup:

I have promised myself I will not post again in this post. I come here to discuss Mickey and the monorail and forget about this messed up society! On to the Accomodations Board......

SBETigg
06-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Actually that is not fact. Chivalry and giving up their seat was part of the competition between men trying to court the women. It had nothing to do with considering them the lesser sex. Men used these acts to make themselves more attractive to women. That is fact.:thumbsup:

I have promised myself I will not post again in this post. I come here to discuss Mickey and the monorail and forget about this messed up society! On to the Accomodations Board......

Actually, chivalry had to do with knightly code in the way they lived their medieval lives, and not a part of competition to win women. Respect for women became part of the code, but only for women of a certain class (and not below that class, it was a caste system).

The whole idea of offering seats to women came much later with the development of etiquette in transportation situations, and isn't actually a part of chivalric code.

MissMaryPoppins
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm not going to get into the giving up a seat for a healthy female thing, but it does seem like "pregnancy narcolepsy" is a common condition on public transit in America.

By this, I mean the amazing ability for most men and woman on a train to suddenly "fall asleep" the moment a visibly pregnant woman enters the car, thus seemingly avoiding the need to give up a seat.

I saw this all the time in Boston. They'd either pretend to sleep, or either be really into the paper or their iPod. It's also common for people to sit on buses and watch as a woman struggles to get a stroller on or off. I helped a woman one time and as the 2 of us tried to get ourselves and the baby in the stroller off the bus the guy behind me kept sighing and mumbling. It took everything I had to not turn around and tell him he where to go. The girl just rolled her eyes and thanked me.

Joy

Janmac
06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm with Sherri (SBE Tigg) in being fascinated with this subject of etiquette. I'm not any kind of expert on the history of etiquette. I have thought that the giving up of seats, or standing when a women entered or left the company, was on par with "never spit in front of women or children" (Tall Tale), nor swearing in front of same, or even smoking in one's own house, which used to not be done.

I'm going to be offended more by unnecessary swearing, or inconsiderate smoke exhalation - not just in the vicinity but the in one's face. And the other day I saw a man shake hands while remaining seated. Looked very odd.

Regarding being offered seats - last time we were at Disney an older fellow offered me his seat on a bus. This was kind but completely impractical as he was wedged in between his wife and someone else and I had my grandniece by one hand and her folded stroller in the other. After some discussion and conference with my grandniece, the fellow's wife held my grandniece on her lap. Very helpful.

Sometimes what seems like the kind thing to do isn't very sensible. Perhaps we're in a state of flux regarding etiquette, changing from what might have been necessary 50 or 100 years ago to something better suited to today's suitations. For example, used to be boys were addressed as Master and men as Mister. This isn't done much any more.

My career was in civil engineering - I was a technician rather than an engineer - where I was treated more equally by construction workers. Engineers tended to overlook me completely, tho I might have been the senior tech at the job site. I'm not sure how this figures into current etiquette unless civil engineers - generally speaking :D - have more difficulty changing with the times.

Regarding the monorail etiquette, most of which is sensibly based, the two most in need of work are letting the passengers exit completely before boarding and moving all the way across. Altho, perhaps, with the biohazard cleanup regulations around nowadays, Disney should institute some courtesy bags for protein spills, like the airlines (used to?) do.

Jan

Tigerinvestigator
06-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Actually, chivalry had to do with knightly code in the way they lived their medieval lives, and not a part of competition to win women. Respect for women became part of the code, but only for women of a certain class (and not below that class, it was a caste system).

The whole idea of offering seats to women came much later with the development of etiquette in transportation situations, and isn't actually a part of chivalric code.

Actually I was speaking of chivalry as it relates to US History. You are correct in its origins.:thumbsup:

Melanie
06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
:cop: Moderator Alert! :cop:

As previously requested by Beth, let's please get back on track with the original intent of this thread - monorail etiquette. Thank you! :mickey:

Dreamer14
06-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Thank you, Melanears!

I should have never put women or females in that etiquette example.

I hope that we can all rest the issue about proper etiquette and focus more on the monorails, which is what the original post was intended for.

It is unfortunate that the slightest issues can be interpreted the wrong way but in no means was the intention of the post to offend anyone or show and gender a sign of disrespect.

Another Monorail item I would like to add to the list is to be patient when being held at the front of the line. The monorails are on a schedule. Each train, unless otherwise permitted, must maintain a departure time. For lines that have 4 trains, the trains run every 2 minutes. For lines with 3 trains, the trains run every 4 minutes. Oh and don't worry, I have never heard of a restaurant not holding a dinner reservation if a party is 5 minutes late.

teamblackwell
06-27-2008, 04:21 AM
[
[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of, getting sick or not getting sick as an optional thing.

mrsgaribaldi
06-27-2008, 05:14 AM
In fact, I will rarely sit down on the monorail until everyone has boarded, the train has left the station, and there's still an empty seat. The only exception to that if the kids are acting up or something and I need to sit to help rein them in.

I'm like Ian in this but without the kids;)

gerald72
06-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Wow! I don't see anything wrong with a man offering a seat to a woman. I don't like being condsidered as someone who needs special assistance however. I prefer to stand while I'm on the monorail. I like being able to see things out the window and it's easier to be standing when my stop comes up. If someone offers me a seat I am grateful for their kindness but I politely decline and hold onto the rails.

Joy

Do you see anything wrong with an able-bodied woman giving up her seat to an able-bodied man? Do you ever see this? The guy must think, do I look like I can't stand for 3 minutes?

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
OMG..DITTO!!
LOVED the way you said it!!
couldnt of said it better myself!:D

I'm very very sorry and devestated that monorail etiquette is making you both hate women's liberation. Without it we wouldn't have equal pay, maternity leave, most jobs, the ability to easily obtain a mortgage or get into most universities and numerous other things. Being a woman, I'm very grateful that I can be treated as a real human being with a brain because of it.

Crystal
06-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Ok, i'm with the person about 400 pages back who said WEAR DEODORANT! :mickey:

SBETigg
06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok, i'm with the person about 400 pages back who said WEAR DEODORANT! :mickey:

Deodorant, yes, but there should also be rules on excessive fragrance use. It's hard to be in a monorail compartment (or attraction queue) with people who seem to bathe in their fragrance of choice. I get headaches. If I can smell you from across the monorail, you're wearing too much perfume.

drummerboy
06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
As previously requested by Beth, let's please get back on track with the original intent of this thread - monorail etiquette. Thank you! :mickey:
No pun intended, Mel?

Looks like we still have a few folks who aren't paying attention. Let's please get back on the topic of general Monorail etiquette, regardless of gender. I think the best rule of general etiquette is to always keep in mind that you're not alone--that there are other people around you. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in the magic that they forget to add to the magic themselves.

Tegrigg
06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Amen!! I even make my 10 year, old get up for people.

11 trips
Last 4 times POLY!!!

Figment52
06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
About getting sick on the monorail - does this happen often? Never seen it myself. Obviously not something you'd want to happen, but if a person is ill, they're ill. No sense it getting mad for something they can't control and are probably :blush: it happened.

Deodorant, yes, but there should also be rules on excessive fragrance use. It's hard to be in a monorail compartment (or attraction queue) with people who seem to bathe in their fragrance of choice. I get headaches. If I can smell you from across the monorail, you're wearing too much perfume.

I could agree more! And while I know it's not hazardous to your health, a lot of people are just as bothered by it as smoke.

Ladyvader
06-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the family at WDW Dreamer14!! And I so feel your pain as far as it is my first time working in attractions. The simplist of things are suddenly the hardest things to figure out. When asking a family in their group ...

How many in your group?

The cast member really does want to know the grand total. That includes babies, grandparents, Uncle Sal and Aunt Bessie. Everyone in your group. Our goal is to keep your group together, but if you don't know how many are in your group despite the Disney Magic there is very little we can do.

So as all of you wonderful guests are waiting in line, make sure that you remember to tell the cast member really how many are in your party. Because it really is not a party until all of you are happy!

Crystal
06-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Haha, I guess I have only run into stinky people at WDW.

fysh
06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

From Wikipedia:

When examining medieval literature, chivalry can be classified into three basic but overlapping areas:

Duties to countrymen and fellow Christians: this contains virtues such as mercy, courage, valor, fairness, protection of the weak and the poor, and in the servant-hood of the knight to his lord. This also brings with it the idea of being willing to give one’s life for another’s; whether he would be giving his life for a poor man or his lord.

Duties to God: this would contain being faithful to God, protecting the innocent, being faithful to the church, being the champion of good against evil, being generous and obeying God above the feudal lord.

Duties to women: this is probably the most familiar aspect of chivalry. This would contain what is often called courtly love, the idea that the knight is to serve a lady, and after her all other ladies. Most especially in this category is a general gentleness and graciousness to all women. (Emphasis added)

These three areas obviously overlap quite frequently in chivalry, and are often indistinguishable.

fysh
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
In the later Middle Ages, wealthy merchants strove to adopt chivalric attitudes - the sons of the bourgeoisie were educated at aristocratic courts where they were trained in the manners of the knightly class. This was a democratization of chivalry, leading to a new genre called the courtesy book, which were guides to the behavior of "gentlemen". Thus, the post-medieval gentlemanly code of the value of a man's honor, respect for women, and a concern for those less fortunate, is directly derived from earlier ideals of chivalry and historical forces which created it.

This was from the same Wikipedia article and I neglected to include it in my previous post. My apologies.

(Once again emphasis has been added.)

1stitch
06-27-2008, 01:35 PM
All the suggestions are good ones I think. You can use alot of those same rules for the buses.

cal5755
06-27-2008, 03:35 PM
All the suggestions are good ones I think. You can use alot of those same rules for the buses.

I agree with this!!

Septbride2002
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
:drama:Wow this mole hill really looks like a mountain.

DisneyOtaku
06-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I have another rule I would like to add:

If you are traveling with young children, please do not let them roughhouse all over the cabin, especially if it is crowded.

I know it is sometimes difficult to hold them back, but other passengers will appreciate it. You have no idea how many times after a long day at the MK and riding the monorail, I get smacked in the head/feet stepped on/other injuries due to children playing too roughly.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Please don't set your backpack, bags, personal belongings in the seat next to you. This might be a spot where someone else could sit. I have seen this happen on several occasions.

fysh
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
:drama:Wow this mole hill really looks like a mountain.

:)Oh, I think it still looks like a molehill.:beat:

:silly:But maybe that's because I'm standing.:rotfl:

DisneyorBust
06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Returning to the etiquette queue.:D One thing that everyone needs to remember, at the end of the day most folks are tired, so we need remind ourselves not to spoil the magic and help each other. There will be another bus/Monorail/ferry etc. If you see a family that may be struggling with multiple tired children & strollers you may want to let them go before you. Let's all keep the magic going!:thumbsup:

MissMaryPoppins
06-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Do you see anything wrong with an able-bodied woman giving up her seat to an able-bodied man? Do you ever see this? The guy must think, do I look like I can't stand for 3 minutes?

No, I don't see anything wrong with a woman giving her seat to a man. I've done that myself. I only said because it was being made into such a big deal. Personally, I think most of the people who push and shove to get seats don't need them. Can they stand for more than 3 minutes.

MNNHFLTX
06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Returning to the etiquette queue.:D One thing that everyone needs to remember, at the end of the day most folks are tired, so we need remind ourselves not to spoil the magic and help each other. There will be another bus/Monorail/ferry etc. If you see a family that may be struggling with multiple tired children & strollers you may want to let them go before you. Let's all keep the magic going!:thumbsup:Good point, Eric. A kind deed does not only benefit those who receive, but also those who give (and can end their evening with a good feeling in their heart!):thumbsup:

Georgesgirl1
06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
To all the men on this forum who still open doors and offer seats to women...THANK YOU! I may not always take you up on it it, but I will always appreciate it.

Maybe it is growing up in the deep south with grandfathers, a dad, and uncles who always did these things, but to me this is common courtesy. I guess that is why I picked a husband who has the same traditional values and courtesy!

As a women, I also hold doors open and offer seats to whoever looks to be in need . The way I see it, I would hope that when I was in a situation where I needed it that someone would do the same for me. And I ALWAYS offer my seat to people who are older because I hope someone would do the same for my grandparents.

Just my two cents...

Kristin

princessimagineer
06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
well my philosophy teacher would have loved this.... our chapter on ethics seemed to last FOREVER!

i think we can all agree that ANYBODY can get up for ANYONE that looks as if they need a seat more. if you just like doing it out of kindness then good for you! if you seriosly think that the person giving up their seat for you is saying to themself "this is an inferior girl. i must insult her by offering my seat." then just chillback a little.

NOW back to the spirit of the post: i was one time in the handicapt car of the monorail and you know how their is that middle thing that has the poles to hold on to? (hmm this is going to be hard to explain) well in the handicapt car i dont know if anyone else noticed but that middle thing has like an opening in the middle. well a girl approx. 7 ish decided it looked like a gymnastics beam and was climbing it the whole time. if the monorail were to stop she would come flying into us! can that be a rule too: respect the monorail by using the seats if one wishes to sit and the floor (with complimentary handrails) if one wishes to stand.

oh and im in favor of the deoderant/heavy perfume thing.

dizknee531
06-27-2008, 11:04 PM
it makes me sick when I give up my seat to a mom with a child or an elderly person and they don't say "Thank you"" They almost EXPECT it.I am a woman, a mom and a wife trying to do the kind thing. it just makes me sick when I don't get a thank you. or, a mom is holding a child, you give up your seat and the CHILD sits down!! Bizarre!!

Figment52
06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
it makes me sick when I give up my seat to a mom with a child or an elderly person and they don't say "Thank you"" They almost EXPECT it.I am a woman, a mom and a wife trying to do the kind thing. it just makes me sick when I don't get a thank you. or, a mom is holding a child, you give up your seat and the CHILD sits down!! Bizarre!!

While it doesn't really make me sick, it does make me a little sad. Young, old, man, woman, doesn't matter. Too many people now feel entitled, and expect others to do for them. Etiquette aside, if we all just had better manners, even for just the basic stuff, it would make interacting with others just a little better. Unfortunatly, we live in a me me me society, and I'm not sure it will change anytime soon.

Queen Stephanie
06-28-2008, 12:50 AM
You know, for all the years I have been going to WDW, I have never had any bad experiences on the monorail. All good! :blush: Our family has even been given the opportunity to ride in the cockpit twice! Yep, I am a big monorail fan!

kakn7294
06-28-2008, 05:09 AM
Wow, we're up to 8 pages!!!

To change the subject just a bit, why does the monorail smell so nasty? I hate the way it smells! Does it have to do with too many people getting sick on the trains? :D Really, I like the monorail but I would enjoy it much more if it smelled better and was cooler in there! God forbid if it stops and gets stuck - been there, done that, and thought I was going to toss my cookies!

Melanie
06-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Since repeated warnings to stay on topic have been ignored, this thread is now closed.

Thank you to the original poster for great insight into monorail do's and don'ts. :thumbsup: