PDA

View Full Version : Logistics Question

chefmickey3
06-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far from seasoned DVC owners. We haven't even taken our first DVC vacation since buying last July and we are planning out the next few years! It is so much fun to dream and then make those dreams come true.

So here is the question - our home resort is Saratoga Springs. We will book at the 11 month window for a 7 night stay. If we then book at the 7 month window at OKW which would require slightly less points, do we lose those points that make up the difference. We would not be able to travel again in that calendar year. I hope this questions makes sense. We want to be able to bank the left over points for the following use year.

If we can't how risky is it in the summer to not book our home resort and wait to book OKW. We really would like to try OKW, but only if we don't lose points. Thanks for your help!

FiggyFan
06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Your plan will work without your losing any points. If you are successful at moving your reservation at the 7 month window, the "extra" points will just be put back into your account. Those points could then be banked into your next use year anytime up to 4 months before the end of this use year.

Example: Suppose that you have an August use year (like me). You could make a reservation now for May 2009 at SSR (the 11 month window), using points from your August 2008 allotment. In October 2008, when the 7 month window opens, you could move the reservation to OKW and put the extra points back into your August 2008 use year account. You would then have until the end of March 2009 to bank the extra points into your August 2009 use year.

wendy*darling
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
This does not exactly address your question- but I started thinking as I was reading your post.

You bought in last July (2007) and have not used any points yet- and are making plans for 11 months from now.... I am thinking you will be using banked points for that first vacation- is that right?
So your first trip is really 2 years from when you joined.

If you are not going to use all of your points, you may loose some that way.
Points can only be banked one time.
So I assume you banked your 2007 points into 2008's allotment.
Now you get more in 2008.
Those 2007 points must be used before you get your 2009 points- or you will loose them.

You may travel more than once a year- if you have points available.

Does that make sense?
I hope you are traveling before your 2009 points are put in your account.

chefmickey3
06-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for your concern. I think we are okay. We bought 230 points at SS. We are staying at VWL for 10 days this summer, which is all of the bonus points and some of the 08 points (we have a February use year). We banked the rest of the points (something like 170) for 09. We will be able to use those next year and keep carrying over points until 2012. It allows us to have longer vacations in 1 bedroom than we would normally be able to book. I think we are doing it right. I know there are no points left for this year and it looks right for 09.

wendy*darling
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
We are staying at VWL for 10 days this summer
That's the part I didn't know about! :thumbsup:
I was reading that you were not using ANY points until 2009.
Now I do see it in your signature for 8/08- I was just concerned that you were thinking you could bank points more than once.

No problem- sounds like you've got it under control!