PDA

View Full Version : Portable DVD Recommendation Needed

OhToodles!
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Within the next year I'd like to get a portable DVD system that can be used in the car (for those Disney roadtrips) preferrably with 2 screens.

Does anyone have a good recommendation? Most of the reviews I've seen on-line haven't been very good for any product.

CanadianWDWFan
06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I bought a system that attaches to the headrest of the front seats with a bracket. It works great despite the very negative reviews I read on it. Of course I read the reviews after buying it:blush:. I don't have the name of the system, but it had one unit with the DVD/Screen and then a separate screen. Sure there are a lot of wires, but the system can be put in just a couple of minutes The whole thing cost me less than $300 and that was with a battery that had to be purchased separately.

I'll post again once I get home and give you the make and model.

Spartan_Jeff
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Target has the type with 2 screens that attach to the back of the headrests on sale this week for 147.00 (it is even the Disney Brand). I am going to get one this weekend for our August trip. I never worry too much about the online reviews, people tend to write a reviews only when they have a bad experience.

thrillme
06-24-2008, 06:46 PM
LOVE portable DVD's and I literally wear them out.

I bought a dual screen from Target (Poloroid). It wasn't the disney one (too small) this one was an inch bigger. It was a little over $200.

My complaints include:

1. That the sound just isn't loud enough for me but then I'm pretty hard of hearing. I'm finding ALL the DVD players lately are a little LOW in the speaker department compared to what they used to be. My husband and son say it's livable but...My resolution was to purchase an FM transmitter to play over the stereo unless you have either a tape deck or an AUX port on your radio.

Most of the time previous DVD players have batteries in them...this one doesn't :confused: I didn't click to that at the time...DRATS :mad:. I thought about returning it for this reason but...we DO have another portable DVD player that's bigger and GREAT for airplanes. And this one also has some cheezy video games to entertain my DS on that LOOOOONNNNGGG trip to South Dakota.

Positives include: It's been working GREAT. Picture is nice and sharp. The second screen has almost no features to screw up so it's great to keep little hands away. Had a very nice picture. The sound seems fine when I'm at home. Has a remote.

Here's some tips.

1. Make a reasonable budget and stick with it. Write down some sacrifices you're willing to make to stay within the budget.

2. The 7 inch screen is really too small. Go for the 8 or better if you can afford it.

3. Look for a player with a portable battery. This will enable the player to be taken on the plane or other areas where outlets (car or home) are not available. This may NOT be common among dual deck DVD players. In single players their factory battery is good for about 3 hours on the "average" (there are some pricier models that will last up to 12). A long time ago I purchased an Everready DVD battery and it does a wonderful job as a backup battery. Again this may be one of those xtra $$ features.

4. On Dual screen DVD players...you're best off with the "luxury" of spending a bit more and getting one that can play individually or be hooked up to play the "same" movie. Again...this is a "feature" that adds a bit of money.

5. Like I stated earlier...almost all of the portable DVD players seem to have lost some sound power. But you have options with quality headphones or in the car...an FM transmitter, a tape deck hookup or an Auxillary port (I have neither a tape deck nor an Auxillary port...so I'm stuck with the FM transmitter).

6. Don't be over bothered by REVIEWS. Most of the people that write in have experienced problems...Those that are "satisfied" or really happy rarely write. I can pick apart just about all the DVD players and it's going to get worse now that people are becoming more accostumed to HD TV and Blue Ray DVD's, home theater sound. A simple portable is no comparison.

When you get it plug it in and check out the screens carefully to be sure there are no blown pixels. It's easiest to do this when the screen is black. Then take it for a test drive...see how well it plays on some general trips.

FINALLY...ALWAYS take it out of the car when it's a MILLION degrees out. No matter what you buy super heat, super cold and rough handling can damage any electronic device.

CanadianWDWFan
06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Ok, I am back!:D I checked and the system that I bought was some brand that they only carry at Canadian Tire store. This is a Canadian version of a Loew's type store. So sorry I can't help you on the brand.

I agree with thrillme, with the sound and the screen size. I did get the FM transmitter and I love it. I really enjoy listening to the movies while we drive. Good headphones really help as well. The kids don't mind the small screen size, but if it was me watching it all the time, I would like a bigger screen. But when I bought it wasn't an option that was affordable.

OhToodles!
06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice.

I understand that people tend to review things if they're bad more than if they're good, but it has helped me in other areas with reading the reviews.

I did see the Disney one at Target in the ad, but I'm not ready to get it just yet. I'm just researching and preparing for when I am ready - or for Christmas. :) Maybe they'll come out with better ones by the time I really need one.