PDA

View Full Version : Price changes on airfare

fanofdisney
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I am still checking daily for a good price for our flight in Oct on SW. This is something I've never seen before. I put in our info and if I put 1 or 2 tickets the price is $149 (one way) and if I put in 5 tickets (which is what we need) I get a price of $162. Have you ever seen this? I tried calling today to ask SW why that would be but the wait time was really long so I thought I'd ask my fellow Intercotees:D

laprana
06-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I had this happen when I was looking for airfare for our trip a couple weeks ago. I would go onto Southwest's website and look for 4 tickets. One time I forgot to change the number of tickets I needed, and it showed a price that was about $35 lower for just 1 ticket. I thought, "Oh great! The price has dropped!" So I went back and corrected the number of tickets to 4, and it showed that the price had gone back up for each ticket. I thought it might have just been a glitch, but I tried it a few more times and always got the same result! We flew AirTran!:D

KylesMom
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
This is very common with all carriers - a larger quantity of tickets are in demand, so they'll charge you more. You could try booking two separate transactions (2+3), but you may find that the price goes even higher for the second transaction. :(

Dyanna
06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Usually this means that they only have so many tickets avail at the lower price. When those are gone the higher ticket prices come into play.

momofdisneyprincess
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I had the same exact thing happen for our trip in October. I was too nervous splitting the group up thinking seats would be sold out by the time I got to the second group so I just booked it for the higher price. As it was, I had to do my DH and I separate as we were using frequent flier miles. Ended up with all 10 of us on the same flight though.

Momof2boys
06-24-2008, 03:54 PM
This happened to us when we booked our October airfare on Midwest. 1 ticket was $70 cheaper than the price of the 4 tickets we needed. I ended up calling the airline & asking why the price was different and they were able to help me - giving me 2 tickets at the lower fare and 1 ticket at the price I was quoted. We ended up using a companion ticket with miles for the 4th ticket we needed.

They do only have a certain number of tickets at each price point or "class" as they called it.

fanofdisney
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the help and advice. I am going to give them a call today. Maybe it will work out:fingers:

fanofdisney
06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I called and they told me what Dyanna said-there were only that number of tickets available at that price and after that was sold it went up. I went to SW and purchase the 1 ticket at $162 and 4 tickets at $175. That is for 1 way! I was very fearful that the prices will just go up. I will watch for DING and hopefully our ticket home won't be so high. I think tomorrow is our big day when SW releases their next group of dates. Here's hoping for great first day deals:magic: