PDA

View Full Version : Video vs. Still Photography

rmsongs
06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
:confused:Hello All - I'm the resident photographer/videographer (not to mention Disney trip planner) in my family. I was just watching video from our last trip (6/06) as I plan our next trip (11/08) and I noticed that, in every scene, I'm seeing everything through the video camera. I almost have to wonder if I'm enjoying the trip as much I should be, or if I'm so focused on "capturing the moment" that I'm actually missing it. Has anyone else experienced this? If you've done both video and still pics, are they equally enjoyable to view after the trip is over? I'm thinking of leaving the video camera at home and just taking pictures this time and then making a slide show out of them. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Strmchsr
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree 100%. I videoed everything for a while, but now I pretty much leave the video camera home and just take pictures. I've found I get just as much enjoyment out of the still photos. The video stuff is good to have, but I definitely wouldn't do it more than once.

disneycutie165
06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
This is just my opinion, but I think pictures are the best. when you have a video camera, your so focused on getting something at the right minute. and you don't really focus on what your seeing, but what the video is seeing. when you take pictures you get to capture the moment and actually look at everything with your eyes at the same time.

Hope this helped!
Sincerely,
disneycutie165:chipdale:

DizneyRox
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Considering most poeple don't know how to videotape anything and NOT make people sick that are watching it (if that ever happens), my vote is for still photographs.

You'll get a whole lot more use out of a nice set of pictures than you will out of a videotaped vacation.

I bring both, but my video camera has stayed in the room for the past couple of trips. I might not bring it, but I've got some plans for some videos that I might just try to do this next trip.

gerald72
06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
I think it's interesting to look at someone's vacation photos, especially in scrapbook form.

I think there is nothing more boring than watching someon's vacation videos.

Disney Doll
06-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I think it's interesting to look at someone's vacation photos, especially in scrapbook form.

I think there is nothing more boring than watching someone's vacation videos.

I agree! I think many people tend to use the video camera too much. I often see people filming an entire parade or show and I always wonder when they will ever find the time to watch all that footage. I like the idea of making a scrapbook or slide show of favorite photos.

ckaranassos
06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
The last three trips we left our video camera at home and used our digital camera. I then took all the "good" pictures and burned them to a DVD. It was great I even backed it with music. That was so cool.. Princess music during Princess breakfast, Hundred acre songs for Pooh lunch, High School Musical songs for the parade at Hollywood Studios etc. The whole family really enjoyed watching and no one got seasick from the moving video camera :cool:

SpecJoe Magic
06-26-2008, 06:30 AM
I often see people filming an entire parade or show and I always wonder when they will ever find the time to watch all that footage.

I do that kind of thing, and we do find time to watch most or all of the footage. Certain things, such as fireworks, are fun to watch at a later date in their entirety. For example, we have full shows of both Wishes and Illuminations on video that we occasionally like to watch when we are in need of a Disney fix. Plus, I think it's nice to have footage of things that may become extinct in the future. I also make sure to video record the people that are on the trip because I made the mistake of video recording too much of WDW and very little of the people on the trip a few years ago. It helps that I have a lot of experience in filming things due to previous jobs that I've held, so I'm able to capture the footage in a way that doesn't make people sick when they watch them.

I believe that still pictures are a great way to capture most moments, but I think that some moments are far more enjoyable to look back on in video format as opposed to still pictures.

Having said that, I completely understand why you feel that you may be missing out by focusing too much on what the video camera is seeing. That is definitely a negative of video recording that is difficult to avoid. I think the key to video recording is to be very selective, and that takes a degree of planning that some people aren't willing to do. Quality over quantity is my motto.

I happen to enjoy watching vacation videos more than looking at vacation pictures, but I realize that a lot of people don't feel that way. It really depends on the individual's preference, so I can't give you a definitive answer to whether or not you'll enjoy still pictures just as much as video. I just wanted to give you a different point of view than everyone else in this thread.