PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn :(

blabbermouth
06-23-2008, 12:16 PM
What's the best way to soothe my sunburn? I seriously look like this :mad: I have some solarcaine, but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

disneydrmr
06-23-2008, 12:23 PM
A cool bath always helps.. aloe vera is great... soak a rag in some cool (not straight out of the fridge) milk and lay it on sunburnt areas... soak in a cool bath of Aveeno Oatmeal soak...aspirin every four hours can help with some of the pain also... and most of all - avoid the sun- and be careful for the next 4 to 6 months as your skin heals itself from your burn Good luck!

Disneyatic
06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree with the PP that aspirin works great to take some of the pain away.
Noxema works well to soothe it. Just gently spread it over the burnt areas and let it sit for a few minutes an then gently remove with a damp cloth.
Also, vinegar helps to take the sting out. My mom always did this to us when we were younger. Use a cotton ball soaked liberally with vinegar and dab it on. You smell like a salad, but it works!

Has anyone heard of soaking in a cool bath with epsom salts to sooth sunburn? I think that might work wonders but you would have to moisturize liberally after getting out of the bath.

Good luck, sunburns are the worst to power through....

blabbermouth
06-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Ooh, all of those things sound great!

The problem is I'm a total sunscreen-aholic most of the time, I just got caught spur of the moment at an outdoor festival. Normally I'm slathered head to toe. I guess I learned my lesson!! :(

ibrowse17
06-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I use the atfer the sun lotions with aloe, which really helps. They also have a cool gel, which you can find at any Wal-Mart type place, with a pain killer in it that works well also:thumbsup:

Boojum
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Blabbermouth--are you freezing cold in spite of having a sunburn??? I'm blindingly white myself, have suffered several bad sunburns, and always find that I'm shivering because I'm so cold.

There's probably a medical explanation for that, but I'm unaware of it.

Also--I usually manage to catch a bad cold whenever I have a sunburn. Go figure! :shrug:

Tygger7
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Our standard treament is aloe vera gel. To quickly soothe the burn, we keep our aloe in the fridge. It feels even better going on cold. :mickey:

blabbermouth
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Boojum - Actually I did feel oddly cold when I got out of the shower this morning. But I'm warm now.

I figure it's probably a titch of sun stroke type things. I've also been drinking a lot of water.

Oddly enough I feel worse today than I did yesterday when it happened. Oh well, it's my first bad burn, I guess I'll survive.

J9
06-23-2008, 02:03 PM
What's the best way to soothe my sunburn? I seriously look like this :mad: I have some solarcaine, but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

I actually found that Lush "Dream Cream" really helps! Not only that, but at least on my sunburn, it has the added benefit of preventing peeling! (Or, if peeling's already begun, it stops it dead!)

Disneyatic
06-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Blabbermouth--are you freezing cold in spite of having a sunburn??? I'm blindingly white myself, have suffered several bad sunburns, and always find that I'm shivering because I'm so cold.

There's probably a medical explanation for that, but I'm unaware of it.

Also--I usually manage to catch a bad cold whenever I have a sunburn. Go figure! :shrug:

I think that is a pretty common feeling. Your skin essentially has a fever or illness and the symptoms can be the same as from a normal fever.
I think the sunburn is alway worst on the day after you get it because it's had time to really set in. The good news is that usually by the 3rd or 4th day is starts healing and the pain will start to decrease.

Again, Good Luck dealing with it. It's a miserable feeling :ill:

DisneyDog
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
ooh, I was at the Lush store in Philly not all that long ago. My DH works not too far from there at the Art Institute and he was showing me around the area and we went into that store. All of the products look so delicious! I felt more like I was in a gourmet fudge shop than a bath and body-type store. I can't figure out why they don't have a store in King of Prussia yet.

Anyway, to contribute to this thread...fresh aloe will work much better than that green gel in a bottle. I went to Aruba for my honeymoon and got a bad burn. They sell a product called Aruba Aloe that is made fresh and has real aloe in it. It worked sooooo well. And that green gel stuff, if it has any aloe in it at all, isn't fresh so it doesn't work as well. It's mostly alcohol, so it will probably dry out your skin which you don't need when you are burnt. So, if you can get an aloe plant, you will probably have better results. Just break off a leaf and rub the pure aloe gel onto your sunburn.

disneydrmr
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Our standard treament is aloe vera gel. To quickly soothe the burn, we keep our aloe in the fridge. It feels even better going on cold. :mickey:

And then stand or sit in front of a fan!!!

Oddly enough I feel worse today than I did yesterday when it happened. Oh well, it's my first bad burn, I guess I'll survive.

Yep - it does take some time for the burn to finish 'cooking' your skin.. the next day always hurts and looks the worst.

For all you fairskinned easy sunburners like myself - Hawaian Tropics makes a Lifegaurd version Sunblock that is AWESOME! It's only SPF 8 but I can be outside in the direct sun and even on WATER and not be burnt when I'm wearing this! You can only buy it in Florida or thru Hawaian Tropics themselves. I actually need to call them to order another bottle myself for my upcoming Disney trip...

mdhiggin
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I prefer Noxzema to the aloe vera (in a bottle). I've never tried the real stuff on a sunburn. It's very cooling on contact. I don't wipe it off. I rub it in. It is a cream, so it moisturizes the toasty skin.

blabbermouth
06-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm sure Lush has nice stuff, but the store smells so strong it always sets off my allergies! However we do have one here in lil ol victoria! Maybe I'll have to send someone in for dream cream.

But it's getting puffy today :( And it hurts! Haha, I'm such a burn newbie. I decided I'd take some advil though, and it doesn't hurt too much as long as my shirt doesn't rub it. Unfortunately I do have to go to work and therefore dress appropriately. :D

murphy1
06-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I hope you're feeling better! Most of the time, time is the best cure for a bad sunburn, trust me, I'm from Florida where you are always in the sun, however, I wore sunscreen all the time. You'll probably be peeling like a snake in a few days. I always tell people ALOE, just get an aloe plant and slather the juice all over. I have hardly a wrinkle at 41 to show for it!

And PS sunpoisoning is very common, I burned my feet during Spring Break and got it, you get sick.

J9
06-24-2008, 07:27 PM
But it's getting puffy today :( And it hurts! Haha, I'm such a burn newbie. I decided I'd take some advil though, and it doesn't hurt too much as long as my shirt doesn't rub it. Unfortunately I do have to go to work and therefore dress appropriately. :D

If it's getting puffy you may be getting blisters. Maybe you should go see the doctor! Burning on top of blister burn is so so not fun!

Tinkermom
06-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I just had a horrible sunburn last week. I tan pretty easily and usually get a mild burn at the start of the summer. I do usally use some sunscreen though.

Well, last week I was at the pool with my kids and got to chatting with a friend and my chest got burned so badly! This was on a Saturday and by Monday I hurt so bad that I had to have an icepack on my chest 24-7. I had to get up every 1 - 1 1/2 hours at night to switch out icepacks. By Tuesday it started to itch so badly that I thought I would go crazy. The only way I could function was to keep icepacks on. I tried every remedy I could find on the Internet (witch hazel, milk, aloe, oatmeal, aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) a friend even gave me a leaf from her aloe plant. Nothing worked. I went to the doctor and got some burn cream called Silvadene which also did not help. I also got an antihistamine to help with the itch which helped only a little.

Finally by Friday I was able to go for a couple of hours without the icepack. I started using A&D ointment and that has helped SO much! It soothed the itching that was now much less intense. I do not think anything was going to help except time.:(

Hope you are feeling better! I sure learned my lesson and will NEVER allow myself to get that burned again.

blabbermouth
06-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your burn tinkermom!

I'm actually already starting to look and feel better today. No more puffiness and most areas aren't quite TOMATO red anymore. The only parts that are still tender are my one shoulder and my lower chest and I think that's because they've had fabric irritating them. Clothing, ick. No itchiness yet though.

pink
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Take painkillers, you can use aloe vera but it only helps it for a few minutes or so and when you start to peel instead of picking at it just put cream on it and your skin won't look bad. Another tip, stay out of the sun for awhile. :cool:

:mickey:

KineGirl
06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I know it might sound crazy but the best thing we find for a sunburn is milk. If you can lay in the tub and pour a whole container of milk all over you - plug up the tub and try to soak in it. Or at the very least dab your sunburn with a milk soaked cloth.

It really works!:cool:

blabbermouth
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Haha KineGirl, that would be a lot of milk!!

I'll file all these ideas away, hopefully I won't ever need them again though (unlikely).

It's all about the not peeling now.