PDA

View Full Version : Help...I'm very nervous...can any nurses/medical professionals help me??

Terra
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Sorry to be a board hog today! My scheduled C Section is a week from TODAY!! YAY!! With David my C Section happened after almost 3 hours of pushing. I had an epidural already and I didn't even feel the numbing shot because I was in so much pain from the yucky pitocin.

But now with this scheduled C Section I am becoming more and more terrified of getting the Spinal Block while fully in my right mind and in no pain!!! I'm seriously terrified I'll move because it will hurt so much or I'll get someone who is that "good" at it...or get a spinal headache...all that stuff!

I'm just not sure what to expect with a "scheduled" section...Has any other mother here had a scheduled C section? I'm seriously on the verge of tears thinking about this!:blush:

krose78
06-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not a medical professional just a mom who has done this before but trust me it is normal to feel like that I was convinced even after i got the spinal that I could just change my mind. :thumbsup:

With mine they had me get changed and then you have to drink this very yucky stuff like a shot and then they brought me into the operating room and they gave me the spinal. There is a small prick and then I felt it shoot down to my toes. Then when they are sure you can't feel anything they go in and get the baby. :cloud9:

disneymom15
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Sorry, can't help you with your question, just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Don't worry, everything will be fine.

katzctkpt
06-23-2008, 09:48 AM
I had 2 natural births with no epidural the 3rd well she was stubborn so, they had to do a c-section. I remember the shot and everything else. It stung a little but that's about all I can tell you. I know I didn't get up until the next day but, boy was the pain from surgery awful. With my others it wasn't that experience. I'd much rather have natural child birth over a c-section any day ! Best of luck you'll do fine.

MsMin
06-23-2008, 09:53 AM
:hug: it's so normal to worry about what will happen. Try to trust the medical staff b/c the do it all day long w/o event but have to tell you about the possibility so you are aware of any complications.
With my first baby I had placenta previa so I knew I faced the possibility of a C-section. I had a very conservative doctor who waited and was very lucky. They told me that it was very rare that I didn't have to have a section, more rare than twins but I would have preferred the twins ;)
Anxiety is normal and healthy in many instances. It's when the anxiety interferes with functioning that we consider it a problem. For example, someone can be afraid of being struck by lightening but it's not a problem unless they refuse to go to work b/c there may be a thunderstorm.
You can also compare anxiety to a muscle in a way. The more you worry the bigger it will get.
Cognitive therapy or techniques are best when dealing with anxiety like this. So hopefully everyone will join in with things you can tell yourself about why you shouldn't worry :pixie: etc. When the bad thoughts pop into your head have something planned on what you can think of instead, e.g. think of when you will take those babies to WDW. :thumbsup:
relax, I'm sure you are in good hands. Enjoy every minute of it!

korkelsmom
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I had a unplanned C-section with my first who is now 10....no meds and it was uncomfortable but tolerable getting the spinal block.
My second who is 4 was a planned C-section and again uncomfortable but tolerable. Just keep breathing and stay as still as you can. I had two different people doing mine and it felt the same. No worries you will be fine. They give you something to rest your feet on and a nurse or orderly will hold you with a big bear hug to help keep you still. Good Luck!!

princessjojo
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I had to natural births, so I can't tell you what the experience would be like. I just wanted to let you know I will be thinking about you and have faith in your medical team. They have done this tons of times before and knowing your history, they should be prepared for anything that could possibly occur. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you will soon have another mouse lover in the house.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Momof2boys
06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm neither a nurse or medical professional, BUT I did have 2 c-sections. My first was an emergency so still was going off the epidural. The 2nd one was a spinal and in my opinion was MUCH easier ! It wasn't nearly as painful as getting the epidural and I didn't have as much trouble getting the feeling back. It was kinda weird when I needed help getting onto the table because I felt like I was moving my legs but they weren't going anywhere :blush:

My recovery with the 2nd was all around better - no nausea or vomitting, and I was moving around alot sooner. Heck, I was eating a huge Cinnabon a few hours after labor :tasty:

I'm sure you'll do great :thumbsup: Good luck.

sisterdisco
06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I am an NP (non-OB specialty) and a mom of 2 by C section. First one unplanned--ugly situation and 2nd one planned.

I understand your anxiety. I was anxious w/ my 2nd one.

Try to relax and remember that this one is planned. It won't be an emergency. You will not be in labor at the time of the spinal, so it will be much easier for the anesthesiologist to do.

You should also feel better this second time around, as your body won't be going through labor before the c section.

With my planned second one, I was up and around in 2 days and barely requiring pain meds.

The hardest part is waiting. He will be here before you know it!

kakn7294
06-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey Terra! I've been thinking about you and wondering how soon that baby was due! I'm sorry to hear you're feeling anxious but it's normal to feel like that. If you had an epidural when you were in labor with David, the spinal block will be quite similar. I've never had a C-section but I've heard from friends who have that the second one is always much better, especially when it's planned. If you do get a spinal headache, fluids and pain meds should help. If not, they can do a "blood" patch - an injection of a small amount of blood into the same area as the spinal - it blocks off the leak of spinal fluid and eliminates the headache. I also remember in nursing school that they promoted the use of caffeine (I know, not great for the nursing mother) in relieving the spinal headaches - believe it or not, it can actually be given in an IV! Good luck to you - I can't wait to see baby pictures!!!

Welovejiminy!
06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I've had 3 c-sections. My first was an emergency c-section, and the last 2 were scheduled. The spinal is not bad at all! The first shot is to help numb the area. Then the spinal is given. I'm not going to lie, there is a quick prick, and alot of pressure, but it does not hurt. I found having a scheduled c-section is a much calmer experience. For one, you are not exhausted from pushing. One thing I would recommend is that you speak to the doctor about being catheterized(spelling?) after the spinal. I found being catheterized was more uncomfortable then the spinal. Still, it isn't that bad. The outcome is so worth it. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Good Luck! You'll do great!

merlinmagic4
06-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I had an epidural (against my will) with my second child and did get the headache/roaring in my ears. I went home for a week trying to deal with it and finally they did a blood patch. My advice is that if you DO get the headache (which you probably won't because not many do), ask for a patch right away. It is simple and should end the problem so you don't have to deal with it at all. I always wondered why they sent me home and just didn't do it right away!

Other than that, I wish you luck! I have a feeling you'll be fine! :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
My second was a planned C section and I don't recall much pain from the shot at all. They had me lean over and try to curl myself up so my back was shaped like a C. That was the hard part with the baby in my belly. I couldn't really curl too much :blush:
I also just concentrated on keeping still because I didnt' want to get stuck twice. So my fear of having to do it again kept me really still.
I found the recovery much easier with the c section as well.
Just relax, do lamaze breathing while getting the shot and you will be holding baby in your arms in no time!
Good luck

Terra
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Thank you all so much for your input! I'm starting to feel a little calmer now!!

I didn't realize they still give you a numbing shot with the spinal. I thought it was only the EPI...

I'm so glad I have my friends here at Intercot for encouragement :)

If I have anymore questions...I'll be sure to ask though:blush:

Melanie
06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
I had an unplanned c-sec with my first, and a scheduled c-sec with my second, and the scheduled planned one was SO MUCH EASIER all around! Knowing what to expect makes all the difference in the world. You'll be fine. Good luck! :baby:

Terra
06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
I had an unplanned c-sec with my first, and a scheduled c-sec with my second, and the scheduled planned one was SO MUCH EASIER all around! Knowing what to expect makes all the difference in the world. You'll be fine. Good luck! :baby:

Thank you :) I've been hearing that so much about a planned C Section being easier! I can't believe it's right around the corner!

Little Round Bale
06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Terra, I am sending you :tink: pixie dust and :welcome: your newest family member.

Everything will be fine. God bless

tinkerbellybutton
06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Terra, I don't have any advice for you but I have plenty of pixie dust for you and the little one! :pixie: