PDA

View Full Version : Admittedly I'm an idiot...tell what EXACTLY to do please :)

Terra
06-23-2008, 08:02 AM
We had a friend give us a brand new pool for our our DS. It's a small one but still has the pump/filter. It's 2 feet deep and 8 feet wide. [One of those blue Sand N Sun pools that you see at Wal*Mart all the time.

Anyway, I just can not get the chemical thing right at all, so I have algea problems [slimy!! eeehhh:sick:] Cloudy water...all that junk...

Can anyone tell me step by step what to do...
Let's start with...

[Pool is clean now] and...
1.) Fill pool with water
2.)?????

Sorry to sound like an idiot, we've just never had a pool before :)
Thanks in advance!

Ed
06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
It's a pain sometimes, no doubt about it. But once you get the basics down, it gets a little easier.

Take a look here (http://www.pinchapenny.com/guide/Flash/template.cfm?page=8)for some helpful info.

WDWFanatic
06-23-2008, 08:32 AM
You can always bring a sample of the water to your local pool store and they can tell you what you need.

good luck

Terra
06-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks!! The link helps!
I never knew that about taking the sample to the Pool Place!! It's right down the street from me too!

elmjimmlm
06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
We bought an algaecide and a water test kit...We also bought PH up and down...It seems like the PH is always down but the algaecide seems to work...

mrbghd
06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I am obsessive about my pool so I hope this helps.
1) keep chlorine level high- especially if the pool gets high use or you have little ones. I prefer liquid chlorine(you just add it to the water as needed) Don't wait until their is no chlorine in the pool- maintain, maintain, maintain
2) See #1
3) If you have algae(pool is slimyand/or tinted green) Add chlorine then about 1hr later add algaecide, run filter for a couple of hours. The next day add clarifier to the water(this clumps all of the invisible particles together so they can be vacumned out of the pool.
4) vacumn, vacumn, vacumn- don't let debris collect in the pool (that causes problems)
5) See # 1
6) ENJOY THE POOL- the worst day takign care of a pool is better than any day at worlk!!!!!

I almosty forgot I do not like PH + or PH- products- the ph can be controlled with chlorine and cleaning, the products don't help that much, and they are costly.

I hope this helps

buzznwoodysmom
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
My mom had one of those pools a few summers ago and she had so much trouble keeping the water right. She would take samples to a local pool place and they would help her out, but more than once she just drained the pool, cleaned it and started over. I would help her now and then and it was such a pain. Good luck!

garymacd
06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Remember: when in doubt, chlorine the **** out of it!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
we've just never had a pool before :)

Just a tiny detail. Don't know if you're blonde or not, but some chlorine may have some "effects on your shade", so be aware of this. You 'll be ready for St. Patrick's Day :stpattys:, if you know what I mean. Your local pool place can tell you about some that won't do this.
Have fun!:swim:

Terra
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
My mom had one of those pools a few summers ago and she had so much trouble keeping the water right. She would take samples to a local pool place and they would help her out, but more than once she just drained the pool, cleaned it and started over. I would help her now and then and it was such a pain. Good luck!

Oh gosh that has been us so far! This will be the like the 4th time draining this thing! lol

Remember: when in doubt, chlorine the **** out of it!
LOL...that's what I told DH but he kept saying No it's too much chlorine you can smell it! LOL...

Just a tiny detail. Don't know if you're blonde or not, but some chlorine may have some "effects on your shade", so be aware of this. You 'll be ready for St. Patrick's Day :stpattys:, if you know what I mean. Your local pool place can tell you about some that won't do this.
Have fun!:swim:
:haha: I thought I felt a blonde joke coming on!!:blush:

Seriously though :) thank you for the tip...I don't have any color on my hair right now..

kakn7294
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Have fun!:swim:Oh, I had such a pretty shade of green hair last summer - the first time in all my 38 years that ever happened to me. Unfortunately, I didn't discover it until I was getting ready for work. Fortunately, it matched my green uniform!

I just recently learned that the sun will actually remove the chlorine from your pool so you will need to keep adding more. Be careful about adding too much - it can cause "burns" to sensitive skin, especially on little ones like David. You might want to consider getting a cover for it - we had trouble with our little inflatable pool until I got a cover.

Terra
06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone! The pool is looking better already! I'll look into that cover too and check the chlorine level before putting David into it :)