PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain- 2 versions?

Guya103
06-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I believe that I have heard that there are two different versions of Space Mountain in MK. One if you wait in the regular line and another if you use a FP. Is this so? If it is, which is the most thrilling? Just wondering:mickey:

medic9016
06-22-2008, 08:22 PM
There are two different tracks. I does not matter which line you use regular or fast pass. The CM will direct you which side to go to depending on the number of people in line. It is all one line until you reach the loading platform at the top then you are directed left or right. The fast pass line goes right up to the CM at the top before the loading dock. I prefer the track on the left, it seems smoother to me.

Speedy1998
06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
In the old days prior to fastpass, you use to get to choose which side you went on. Most CM told you that the right side was the more intense ride. Of course in the old days, the trains also hold 8 people istead of 6.

DestinationWDW
06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Nope not true, although there are 2 separate coasters which everyone claims are different, and I believe there are subtle differences. Everything I have read about Space Mountain claims that each side is identical. Once you reach the CM there is a right and a left coaster. The CM will try to direct you to the shortest line but you can decide which one to go on. Personally I like the left side I think it's faster but really according to WDW they are the same. You can go to you tube and search on Space Mountain with lights on and see the layout.

scoot241
06-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Something I read says that one side of SM is 6 feet longer than the other due to a crossover or something. The two sides are pretty much mirror images.

SpaceMtn101
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
OK ...
Space mountain DOES NOT have two different tracks. People like to say this because of the 6 ft and they think the drops are different but it is the same track. YES side A is 6ft longer due to coming into UNLOAD area but that is the only place where the track is longer. The speed and smoothness is determined by the weight in the car and where you are sitting. The ride only goes 27mph and the biggest drop is 20ft. Also depending on if you are left handed or right handed effects which side feels better to you (ive been told this by many guests ... dunno if it is really true though) If you were to walk the track each zone is the same on side A and side B (used to be called Alpha and Omega). Nothing is different in turns, hills, or distance. Zones Load 1 to Zone 15 are the exact same distance on each track.

I hope that helps :)

katzctkpt
06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Nope Space Mountain is the same ride with 2 tracks.

Now Mission Space in Epcot has 2 different rides. One is less intense than the other. Maybe they were meaning this one.

RBrooksC
06-23-2008, 07:35 AM
I am not sure which side it is, but I like the side where you can get a very good look at the spinning galaxy. To me, the feeling of being in "space" is strengthened by that.

Stu29573
06-23-2008, 08:36 AM
According to Jason Surrell in "The Disney Mountains," the track to the left is 10 feet longer than the track to the right. This is due to it having to go further to get back to the loading area. Other than that, the tracks are identicle. :mickey:

brownie
06-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Since the World Began says the two tracks are side-by-side, so the experience can't be all too different, certainly not two different rides. I've never noticed much of a difference, although I couldn't tell you if I've ridden both tracks now.

Pop Centurion
06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Regardless of whether the track is an extra 6 or 10 feet longer, that's way to short of a distance to even notice any difference.
I do believe there is a placebo effect though. People riding a certain side because they heard it's more intense actually believe it in their mind. :p

VolMickey
06-23-2008, 10:28 PM
According to Jason Surrell in "The Disney Mountains," the track to the left is 10 feet longer than the track to the right. This is due to it having to go further to get back to the loading area.:mickey:

I read this earlier today on another website. Left is longer, largest drops and max speed are identical.

dsnyfan001
06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
I had talked to a cast member and they told me the tracks are totally identical. Lol you never know tho!:mickey:

SpaceMtn101
06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
the honest only difference is one goes to the right and the other goes to the left .... ive done enough evacs to know all the zones they are the same on both tracks .

Disney Doll
06-24-2008, 11:58 AM
According to Jason Surrell in "The Disney Mountains," the track to the left is 10 feet longer than the track to the right. This is due to it having to go further to get back to the loading area. Other than that, the tracks are identicle. :mickey:

This is what we've heard too. Last trip we were chosen to go in the control tower. The CMs mentioned this ongoing debate and assured us that the tracks were the same except the few extra feet you travel to unload. I know I have never been able to notice a difference.

irish1967
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
This is from Wikipedia (consider the source) but it seems reasonable to me...

Layout
The Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain is the only version that has two roller coaster tracks within the iconic mountain structure. They are mirror images of each other, with only minor variations to allow the tracks to cross one another as needed. The left side track is called Alpha while the right side track is called Omega. Both tracks offer the same experience for guests, with effects equally shared and duplicated

ParkMan
06-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Last December, we hit a good morning and were able to quickly ride 5 times in a row. We kept switching back and forth between the 2 sides trying to figure out which one we liked better.

Truth is we really couldn't tell a big difference between the 2 sides. We noticed a bigger difference by whether we sat in the front or the back of the cars.

disneyorvegas
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Someone please riddle me this. It was once stated by someone on this Board that the DL track layout of SM was also identical to the WDW track layout, is that true?? I cannot for the life of me believe that after riding both rides, but it could have something to do with the uncharacteristic smoothness to the DL version.