PDA

View Full Version : Countdown Ideas?

VolMickey
06-22-2008, 05:48 PM
We plan to leave for our WDW trip at eh end of July.

Our daughter, 10 :girl:, usually does a "countdown" tradition before our trips. Once, we did separate printed pages with different characters and the number of days remaining -- took photos each day with her in the frame pointing to the number. Once, we did a construction paper chain (each link having a different WDW attraction written on the inside) and she'd read each after ripping off the ring each day.

We need a new idea for a countdown this time around. Got any you can share? :confused:

Beast_fanatic
06-22-2008, 07:05 PM
You could do an advent type calendar where you open a little window each day of the countdown, and have a little Disney trivia fact in each window.

VolMickey
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
That's a good idea. :thumbsup: Thanks! Any other suggestions?

andreallybadeggs
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Not sure how many days you want to count down so this may or may not work but you might do a Hangman version. Each day let your DD try to figure out a Disney character (or could be an attraction I suppose) with one fewer letter.
This is a little rough but just off the top of my head I came up w/
10: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Cinderella)
9: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Pinocchio)
8: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Charming)
7: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Brer Fox)
6: _ _ _ _ _ _ (MICKEY!!)
5: _ _ _ _ _ ( Ariel)
4: _ _ _ _ (Pooh)
3: _ _ _ (Meg)
2: _ _ (Al)
1: and here I got stuck, so how 'bout just
"I" am on my way to WDW :mickey:

Crystal
06-22-2008, 09:25 PM
We always get a piece of posterboard & draw a HUGE Mickey head in the middle. All around it are tiny little Mickey heads. Each Mickey head has a number, and they mark them off until they get to the big Mickey head, which is the day before we leave.

It actually helps it to go faster I think. :thumbsup:

Janmac
06-23-2008, 12:16 AM
My granddaughter liked to do countdown chains too. One year I found a website with DIsney trivia which I printed out so that I could cut strips with one piece of trivia on each strip. My granddaughter likes to save everything and her mom dislikes clutter, so I also gave GDD pages with each theme park name at the top, so she could sort and paste the trivia on the respective page.

Another year DD was working and wondering how she was going find time to pack for Disney, so GDD's countdown chain was a different thing to pack each day so she could help her mom. At the end of the chain, they were packed and ready to go.

Jan

Young@Heart
06-23-2008, 12:55 AM
We're doing the link chain. We did this for our Cape Cod vacation last year and DD loved taking the chains off. We're starting at 30 days (only about 10 to go!!!) and we're doing a paper chain w/ a different color Mickey Head for each day. I love watching that chain get smaller and smaller each day! :mickey:

TinyDancer
06-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I love the chain idea, but do you think that 324 links would be a litle much? :cloud9:

MushuGrl
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm a graphic artist, and for my niece's first trip, I made a "Disney Trivia Calender". Had the best time making it! (A friend actually suggested I go into the business.)

I called it her Disney Year - it ran from July, which was her birthday month, until June the next year, which was when we were taking our trip. I did features on the POTC ride and movie, HM ride and movie, each park, the water parks and DTD, the parades, the fireworks, Hidden Mickeys, and the last month was "YOU'RE FINALLY HOME!" Also along with pics and right up I included the lyrics to different Disney songs and make an mix CD to go with it.

(For the record, "On My Way" from Brother Bear is an EXCELLENT song to play as you're leaving your home to head to WDW!)

VolMickey
06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
(For the record, "On My Way" from Brother Bear is an EXCELLENT song to play as you're leaving your home to head to WDW!)

that's a great idea, as well! :number1:

biodtl
06-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I gave my kids a "101 facts about WDW" calendar yesterday (on our 101st day out). I made it in Word and I put "Only 101 (100,99...) days to go" on the top of each page, pasted a picture of a character and a bit of WDW trivia (thanks to the "WDW fact of the day" posts). We'll tear one off every day until we reach the last day, which has "Let's go to Walt Disney World!!"