PDA

View Full Version : There are what at WDW?????!!!!

DisneyWhirled
06-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I probably shouldn't have been, but imagine my surprise when we saw two rats (definitely rats, no Mickey Mouse) scurry by when we were walking (around midnight) from the castle towards Crystal Palace to exit the park. With all the water and vegetation, it is not surprising that they are around, but I was sure shocked to see them cross in front of me!

Although I really needed to, I couldn't bring myself to go into the restroom near the CP that didn't have a door on it! There was no one in there and I could only think of meeting up with those furry creatures!!

princessjojo
06-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Funny you should mention that!!! We were at SSR June 10-19 and one afternoon we were at Artist Pallet eating lunch outside on the porch area. DS said he saw a rat run from the building to the bushes. I brushed it off and told him he just saw a squirrel. Then as curosity set in, my sister was looking around the same area and saw it as well. YUCK!!!

Marilyn Michetti
06-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Probably feels like home. Seriously, I'd jump and carry on if I saw one, but if you think about it, there's lots laying around to attract a rat. There's alligators, snakes, misquitos that look like bombers, and "things" that crunch when you step on them.

I guess there's only so much you can do to keep out a non paying guest.:(

Beast_fanatic
06-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Perhaps it was Ratatouille... ;)

Dsnygirl
06-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Perhaps it was Ratatouille... ;)
:laughing: .... that's exactly what I was going to say... :thumbsup:

teamblackwell
06-22-2008, 04:30 AM
I was at DL waiting for The Matterhorn and I saw two little mouses scurry by in the landscaping. I wasn't disturbed by them but it did make me wonder about the removal procedures at the Disney parks. Do you kill a creature that happens to be your companies mascot?

Nini
06-22-2008, 04:41 AM
We saw a rat last year - we were up on the platform over the entrance to the MK waiting for the train, and one was scurrying back and forth between the tracks right in front of us. A couple of the CMs saw it too. They kept an eye on it but didn't seem real surprised.

Denise :mickey:

BronxTigger
06-22-2008, 09:50 AM
It's Pinky and the Brain. They're trying to take over the World. :secret:

elmjimmlm
06-22-2008, 03:54 PM
We have not seen rats or mice but an armadillo walked in front of us a POR...

DisneyorBust
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Good one BronxTigger!:funny:

Aggie97
06-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Ha!! I used to love that show. :mickey:

Caroleh
06-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Very good, Bethany!!!:D

sisterdisco
06-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I always knew it was dream real estate for seagulls and mallards, but Rats? Gross!!

We were at the pool at WL a few years ago, and all of a sudden, there was this huge commotion. There was a HUGE black snake around the pool. :eek: There were 3 guys w/ white shirts on that said "wildlife control" in big red letters on the back.

They were chasing this snake with a reacher (a long stick you can pick things up w/) and a pillowcase. Through the brush/plants, on the sidewalk next to the pool, and the darn thing almost went straight into the pool!!!
They got him after several minutes.
It was like an episode of the Crocodile Hunter.

I JUST COULDN'T GET MYSELF TO GO IN THE HOTTUB AFTER THAT-- (BRUSH TYPE PLANTS SURROUNDING IT)--I WAS AFRAID A SNAKE WOULD POP OUT!! :drama:

Wells
06-22-2008, 06:20 PM
We were at a "E-ride night" a few years ago and saw a couple of roaches that were the size of rats! Maybe that's what you say, they have been known to wear mouse ear hats late at night!:mickey:

Oh, and for all you Floridians, thats "palmetto bugs":D

Harley-Davidson_Guy
06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
I am not surprised! I was outside at the Buzz Cart a couple of weeks ago and this 7 yr old boy screamed at the top of his lungs..."ROACH". I walked around the corner thinking it was a small little bug but boy was I wrong. It was at least 2" long and that's with out antenas. It looked like those things they used to eat on Fear Factor. Luckily it ran behind a box because I wasn't about to do anything with it. I was told that technicaly it is called a Palmento Bug because it flies. STILL! :ack:

KineGirl
06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Ive seen Mickeys other micelike friends swimming around the lake at WS... Especially in the canals leading up to it from the resorts. Theyre pretty big too!

Wells
06-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I was told that technicaly it is called a Palmento Bug because it flies.
...A rose is a rose.....

kakn7294
06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Karen, you would have really freaked out at my adventure with a rat in my college days. I was sitting in the lobby of the building I lived in (campus housing) waiting for some friends so we could go eat - the cafeteria was in the basement of this same building - when I looked down to the floor to see a baby rat nibbling on the rubber on the side of my Nikes.

BTW, just what were you people drinking on that trip? First the tragic stroller incident and now rats...

tmosier
06-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Surely those rats were magic rats! Or maybe they were Gus Gus and another one of Cinderella's rodent friends. :mouse:

Mrs Bus Driver
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
My kids still talk about the time the met the real Micky Mouse. We were at DL waiting for for the steam ship, sitting by some bushes when I noticed my DS putting some of his french fries in the bush. A few moments later little Micky came out of his hole grabbed a fry and :bolt:.:mickey:

I just realized that was 15 years ago, little Micky must have lots of descendants by now!:D :rotfl:

Jenemmy
06-22-2008, 11:06 PM
I remember YEARS and YEARS ago as a child staying on the first floor of a Poly longhouse with my parents. Mom and I were sitting at the table by our sliding door and both saw a sizeable rat scurry across our little porch. Mom not only refused to go out there again that trip, but really isn't too keen on the Poly to this day because of it! LOL I am not telling her you guys have seen them all over "the world"!:secret:

Young@Heart
06-22-2008, 11:30 PM
ewwww....I REALLY wish I hadn't opened this thread. :ack:

Camping Mom
06-22-2008, 11:30 PM
No rats, but sitting on the balcony of the Contemporary last week we saw 2 of those big "roaches". We call them water bugs here in Texas. They are big and brown and SNAP when you step on them. I was afraid to put my feet down because I didn't want them on me. I see them enough around my house during dry season because they are looking for food and water. YUK!!!

When we left the Contemporary there were these bugs everywhere around the lights. Everyone was hollering MOSQUITOES, but they were NOT mosquitoes. We live where they can carry you off and I know the difference. There were tons of them, annoying as all get out, but just "light" bugs.

Hey, it is outside and I guess we are on their turf when you think about it. We have seen peacocks, armadillos, alligators, and all sorts of birds....thank goodness no furry rodents.

katzctkpt
06-23-2008, 12:08 AM
We've seen squirrels, armadillos, garder snakes, and a raccoon at our resort but, no rats and hopefully we won't.

TinyDancer
06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't want to see a rat inside my cabin, but how come people mind them so much outside? Is it just their stigma? I don't mind them outside, I would just like them away from me and not scaring me. Haha, I have a lot more issues with the stupid birds swooping for food than I would with a rat crossing my path!

Not to get down on anyone, but I wonder why we rationalize seeing some things like bunnies and squirrels, but we don't want snakes or rats. I guess its just what we see as a good or bad animal! :mickey:

DAKustodial
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
When I worked at DAK I used to see rats and mice pretty frequently. Hey, they are outside, so we're kind of on their territory. I remember every time I opened the trash can next to the bridge from Safari Village to Africa a couple of mice would run out. I guess they were living in there, snacking on all of the popcorn and stuff that fell outside the trash can liner. Whenever guests saw them, I'd always say that at Animal Kingdom, we love all animals, and these guys might be Mickey's cousins!

wonderalice23
06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I remember seeing a lot of "palmetto bugs" on a June trip and was not bothered in the least. I was such a tomboy as a kid - and regarding the rat issue...I have a pair as pets! To be quite honest, my only "pest" problem in Disney is some of the really rude tourists! :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
06-23-2008, 03:06 PM
I saw a cat (feral, I assume) in Adventureland one very, very late EMH night. Poor thing was probably tired of waiting for the park to quiet down.

MissMaryPoppins
06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I also saw a cat in Adventureland one night. It came out of no where and i didn't see where it went. I kept waiting to see another one.

Joy

LizLovesDiz
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
One night at the All Star Movies resort,a rat scurried right in front of me along the walkway.I was sooo tired,that I didn't even flinch but got pretty freaked out when I woke up the next morning!!! :eek:

Flower
06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Yuck! We have never seen rodents anywhere!

We used to see a ton or armadillo's on the drive in and we we used to play the 'Count the Armadillo' game, but even they seem to have dwindled off - do they prefer a certain time of year?

SurferStitch
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM

Well.....

:sing: One is a genius, the other's insane......:sing:

All these years later, I still have that song in my head, and thanks to you, it's back in the front of my brain again....yay.

meldan98
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
At DL there are some benches by the Matterhorn where some of Mickey's family frequently vacations. I've see them at least 3 times over the years. I even got some really cute photos of them eating popcorn on the most recent trip.

We also happened to see a mommy duck and her newly hatched baby ducks in a little nest right by a walkway. We contacted a cast member and they staked out a spot in front of them to keep them safe until they could be relocated to a safer and much quieter location.

krose78
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Yuck! We have never seen rodents anywhere!

We used to see a ton or armadillo's on the drive in and we we used to play the 'Count the Armadillo' game, but even they seem to have dwindled off - do they prefer a certain time of year?

This winter we were on a carriage ride at WL and we saw a armadillo scurry by and then a large truck came driving by. Well I am sure you can imagine what happened to the poor armadillo. I still can't get that sound out of my head.

amd780
06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I have a lot more issues with the stupid birds swooping for food than I would with a rat crossing my path!

Oh my gosh, me too! On our last trip, DH and I were freaked out by the seagulls swarming and swooping around Frontierland. There was one particular section of the path we tried to avoid at all costs. I wish there was a way to keep seagulls out of the park!

grumpyguy
06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
wow,that would be a bit of a shocker!!!never seen any rats or mickey mouses....just tons and tons of love bugs...they are annoying enough.brave little winged critters.they won't "shoe" away either.
florida has some nasty creatures growing down there!!!

divinedi
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Saw a possum one night at All Star Sports, but never any mice or rats, well maybe a couple at Animal Kingdom, on a ledge, running between windows........the owls do a good job of keeping the mice away so they say......;)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Are you sure it wasn't an audio animatronic? Yes, that is a joke!
We still talk about the big rat we saw up on Capital Hill in Boston. And no I don't mean a politician. The thing was huge! I kept joking that we should harness it and take it for a carriage ride.
As long as they aren't coming towards me and they are outside, I don't freak out too badly.

em-n-mia's-mommy
06-29-2008, 02:13 AM
"palmetto bugs"

So far no encounters with palmetto bugs at disney. My grandparents have a beach home in St. Augustine, FL and I swear everytime I am there those creepy bugs know I am there. One time a few years back I was in the shower at my grandmas and i reached out to get a towel off the counter and there was this HUGE palmetto bug on it! I screamed and my uncle came running and killed it. I hate bugs and being from southwestern Pennsylvania we don't see bugs that large that often.