PDA

View Full Version : Just joined DVC and worried about reservations

MatterhornMiss
06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I finally decided now is the time for me to join the DVC; rather, I decided it was financially possible, now that Disney is offering 100 point contracts and minimum down payment of $500. I have been planning a trip to the GF with my cousins for Sept since LAST Sept. I plan on using some of my points to spend 3 nights at GF and 2 nights at a 2-BR DVC villa. I know GF is not "point-efficient," but I don't care. I have been planning for GF for so long, I don't want to entirely give it up for this trip.

The problem is, yesterday when I joined, I asked for an Oct 07 use year (so I could have un-borrowed points--I have to borrow next years points for this year--available sooner to vacation) and got it, but when I tried to book the GF today, I wasn't able to do so because it was within the 120 window. My guide said she could rewrite my contract for April 08 use year so it would be no problem, but now I won't find out until tomorrow (or maybe even Monday if my guide decides not to work tomorrow after all). This morning, the room class I wanted at the GF was available, but I'm just sort of freaked out that maybe it won't be by the time I can make my ressie. I try and tell myself I shouldn't worry since it is for September, which is the slow season, but I can't help it. It's just so close! I'm a big planner, and had everything set for this Sept vacation since I upgraded to free dining on April 7. Now I have all this up in the air.

I guess I just need some reassurance. Ultimately, I know I can't do anything until tomorrow morning when member services opens. And, if worse comes to worse, we can always stay the entire week at a DVC villa (not that it would be bad). I was able to confirm my ressie for the last two nights in a 2-BR villa.

lockedoutlogic
06-21-2008, 10:37 AM
unless there is a big convention....

...there is no chance the grand floridian will be booked solid for september....

it is still one of the slowest months of the year.....

MatterhornMiss
06-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, I talked with my guide this morning. Turns out they have sold out of live inventory at the AKV. I am on a waitlist for a different use year. I'm glad I still have my Oct 07. I went ahead and booked the 3 nights I had planned for the GF at a 2 BR at OKW, and waitlisted for VWL, BWV, BCV. While I still really want to stay at the GF, the more I have a chance to think about it, the more I think I might cancel my request to change use years. If I stay at a villa, I won't have to borrow as many points. And I will still have the Oct use year, so I can get un-borrowed points much sooner. And I save money. We're still planning on eating at 1900 Park Fare, so, although we won't be quite the same as staying there, we'll still be visiting. And, we can enjoy the Water Pageant and pool after dining, courtesy of the DVC. My cousin (I going with her and her 3 daughters) is really supportive, and happy wherever. It will probably be better for our sanity if we have a 2 BR for 5 people, and, if we can get one of our waitlist requests, can be just as convient to the parks as GF (minus the monorail). The way I see it, I have almost 50 years in the DVC to experience as much or little I want.

Tinkermom
06-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, I talked with my guide this morning. Turns out they have sold out of live inventory at the AKV. I am on a waitlist for a different use year. I'm glad I still have my Oct 07. I went ahead and booked the 3 nights I had planned for the GF at a 2 BR at OKW, and waitlisted for VWL, BWV, BCV. While I still really want to stay at the GF, the more I have a chance to think about it, the more I think I might cancel my request to change use years. If I stay at a villa, I won't have to borrow as many points. And I will still have the Oct use year, so I can get un-borrowed points much sooner. And I save money. We're still planning on eating at 1900 Park Fare, so, although we won't be quite the same as staying there, we'll still be visiting. And, we can enjoy the Water Pageant and pool after dining, courtesy of the DVC. My cousin (I going with her and her 3 daughters) is really supportive, and happy wherever. It will probably be better for our sanity if we have a 2 BR for 5 people, and, if we can get one of our waitlist requests, can be just as convient to the parks as GF (minus the monorail). The way I see it, I have almost 50 years in the DVC to experience as much or little I want.

While I understand having your heart set on a particular resort I think you will find that if you stay in a 2 bdrm villa you will not want to ever stay in a regular hotel room again.:mickey: It is sooooo nice, especially with 5 people, to be able to spread out. You will have more balcony space not to mention a jacuzzi tub! There is nothing like a soak in the jacuzzi after a long day at the parks. We have stayed in every one of the WDW DVC resorts and have loved each one. Each resort has it's own special magic. Have a great trip!

MatterhornMiss
06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks :mickey: The more I think about it, the more I feel good about a 2 BR villa. I think if I don't get a more favorable use year by Monday, I'm just going to tell my guide I want to stick with the Oct 07 use year.

MatterhornMiss
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, my guide called me this morning. I have an April 08 use year. I also have confirmed ressies at the GF for 3 nights, 2BR BCV for one night, and 2BR VWL for the last night. I am waitlisted for the BCV for the last night as well. Whew, I can't believe it all worked out! After all the stress this weekend, I need WDW now!