PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comfort Foods

brad192
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
We got to talking at work today about our favorite comfort foods, and why we like them so much. So I was wondering, what are some of your favorites? Why? I'll start...

Campbell's tomato soup - 'cause I grew up eating it almost every day for lunch.

Old fashioned pot roast - my mom would fix this about twice a month for Saturday or Sunday dinner, with thick gravy & mashed potatoes...mmmm.

A hot fudge sundae with french vanilla ice cream, Sander's hot fudge, and salted pecans - we had this wonderful old-fashioned ice cream parlor in my hometown, and my grandparents would take my sister & I there for a special treat. I would always order that.

Great, now I'm hungry AND melencholy...:D

Boojum
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM
My votes go to:

Meatloaf the way my mom makes it--with bread crumbs in the mix, and a brown sugar/ketchup glaze.

Mashed potatoes.

Garden-fresh green beans.

Lemon meringue pie for dessert.

Way to go there, Brad! Now I've got to go shopping so I can make all this stuff tonight! :thumbsup:

DizNee143
06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Old fashioned pot roast - my mom would fix this about twice a month for Saturday or Sunday dinner, with thick gravy & mashed potatoes...mmmm.

that sounds absolutely yummy..
got a receipe??? :mickey:

favorite comfort food..hmm..

my moms fettucine alfredo..we would get it on all the holidays..my mom makes it soooooo good..i LOVE it!

and my moms cheesecake..i could eat that until i get sick! lol

KineGirl
06-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I normally am totally health conscious except when we eat out.. then I eat what I want or what the chef wants me to eat. LOL We spend too much money & the menus are too good to just eat a salad. We know most of the chefs where we go .. so alot of times I dont have a choice in the matter! I dont complain and theyre usually right ;)

Back to the topic at hand.... I have to admit, health food doesnt really satifsy the "comfort food" modes. Though I have to have a banana everyday or else the whole day is off!

My favorite comfort food to share with family would have to be my country pork ribs baked slow in its secret sauce ..mmmmm Like buttah.
Side dishes HAVE to be garlic smashed potatos, country green beans (thats actually a Disney recipe we've come to cherish :cloud9: ) and slices of beefsteak tomato

If Im really sad - Nutella right out of the jar or chocolate frosting.

when someone else Im close to is sad I always make them home made chocolate chip cookies.. though now that I think of it I dont know why :confused:

If Im cold - home made split pea soup

wdwgrl377
06-20-2008, 04:35 PM
My favorite comfort food is....

My mom's homemade Mac n Cheese and pork chops!! And they have to be fried.....YUM!

tinkerbellybutton
06-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I'm with you on that one, only we always had grilled cheese sandwiches with the soup. yum!

Kairi_7378
06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm with you on that one, only we always had grilled cheese sandwiches with the soup. yum!

Me three! Sometimes I make this for dinner and DH is very happy.

I am also a mashed potato freak!

alphamommy
06-21-2008, 02:14 AM
My favorite comfort food is macaroni and cheese, hands down. If I've had a really bad day, or if I just feel yucky, this is what I want.

Another would be old fashioned fried chicken, the way my mom made it (coated in flour, salt, and black pepper, fried in a couple inches of hot oil). I haven't done it myself in years - I don't think DD8 has ever had homemade fried chicken, something I'll have to change this summer.

Yum...Now I'm hungry!

Mary Poppins
06-21-2008, 02:51 AM
another one for tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. YUMMY!!!! :tasty:

EditReject
06-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Since I was born and raised in Philly, it is without a doubt a cheesesteak! :joy:

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Me three! Sometimes I make this for dinner and DH is very happy.

I am also a mashed potato freak!

That's too funny because I make instant mashed potato for a snack frequently ;)

princessjojo
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
It really depends on what the issues are.

Stress calls for mashed potatoes with shredded cheese and baconbits. I don't have time to bake potatoes and can't seem to get them right in the microwave.

If I'm sad I want BLT on sourdough bread or chocolate cake. Then again I could eat the whole loaf of sourdough bread.

In the summer I often want pasta salad with my secret dressing. It's so good, and makes me feel good after I've eaten it...

disneydeb
06-22-2008, 09:36 PM

:ditto:

Marilyn Michetti
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Since I was born and raised in Philly, it is without a doubt a cheesesteak! :joy:

OH, MAN, Delasandro's in Roxborough?

Mine would be really thick instant mashed potatoes, mixed with chicken noodle soup, (drained):thumbsup:

DisneyDog
06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, cheesesteaks would definitely be on my list. And Tastycake Juniors. Also, potato latkes (or anything with potatoes, really!) and matzoh ball soup. Also, Chinese food, especially egg rolls. Mmmmm. I guess I could also add my recipe for baked ziti. It's heavy and filling which makes for a perfect comfort food.

Or, I could just to to Cracker Barrell and order pretty much anything off of the menu!

princessjojo
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh, if it's cold and rainy outside, I want nothing more than homemade vegetable soup. Steaming hot with Texas Pete flowing like a river... At least by the time I finish eating a bowl or two, I'm no longer cold.

MamaStyles
06-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Great, now I'm hungry AND melencholy...:D

Love it!.......but you gotta add broken up Ritz crackers:cloud9:

There's a great, big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of ev'ry day

Ed
06-23-2008, 04:39 PM
:ditto: to ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Two particular favorites:

Stromboli

and

Egg Nog ice cream (which I can only find around the holidays :( )

Now, excuse me, please... I have this sudden urge to raid the fridge..... :popcorn: :tasty: :pizza: :eat:

:cool:

disneydrmr
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Mac and cheese

Meatloaf

ANY type of pasta

Chocolate and lots of it!

and I'm also a part of the grilled cheese and tomato soup crowd

trennedy
06-23-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't anything beats mashed potatoes. I craved them the entire time I was pregnant with my first child and could eat them anytime!

VolMickey
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
In Disney, it would be the Turkey Leg. At home, it has to be my DW's homemade jambalaya. She's from Louisiana and it's simply killer. :thumbsup:

minnie-mouse
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Potato chips and french fries! I am Irish, what can I say? I like my potatoes! :blush:

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
My dad's chili!
Grilled cheese with tomato soup
Maple donuts

MatterhornMiss
06-25-2008, 05:28 PM
two words: cheese fries

basically any combination of potatoes and cheese is heaven for me

dan864
06-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I would have to go with a,peanut butter and jam (jelly) sandwich.

jennbunn
06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
my homemade meatloaf with mashed potatos and sweet corn. with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert. i also love to make cheesecake for my real down in the dumps days.