PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on "Living Lohan" and "It's Complicated" [Merged Threads]

pink
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
There are too new E reality shows airing this Monday at 10 pm- Denise Richards It's Complicated and Living Lohan. The first is about Denise Richards (of course) and her life dealing with divorce from Charlie Sheen and such. The second is about Lindsay Lohans mother, Dina Lohan and her sister Ali Lohan trying to make Ali famous.

I don't know how anyone else feels about these shows but I feel bad for all the kids involved. It's obvious that both mothers are only doing these shows to promote themselves. Denise says shes doing it to support her kids and Dina says its to only promote Ali's career. What do you guys think?:mickey:

PirateLover
05-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I think both are definitely not interested in doing what's best for their children. Denise Richards got plenty of settlement money and child support from her divorce from Charlie Sheen... I think most of us would be happy with $5mill+
If she needs more money why can't she do movies or something? Why drag your kids into a reality show?
And as far as Dina Lohan... Lindsay's sister Ali already looks like she's in her 20s and the girl is only 14 or something. It's scary. This woman needs to be stopped. I will not watch either show.

NotaGeek
05-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Funny, because John and Kate Plus 8 isn't viewed as exploitation. Odds are they are doing it for the money, too.

I won't be watching these shows because I am not interested in Denise Richards or Dina Lohan -- but I think it's silly to judge them and say they are exploiting their kids for money and it's wrong ... there are DOZENS of shows out there doing the same thing. With all the press they have gotten about how wrong these shows are people will surely tune in -- so I guess there really is no such thing as bad press.

Marker
05-24-2008, 12:09 PM
too new E reality shows

So you're saying these shows are excessively new? :bolt:

I can safely say those are two shows I will definitely not be watching. What a waist.

Although l wouldn't dare to make presumptions about what anyone's motivation or intentions are. Actually, I don't think I'd attempt to fault those involved at all. They're simply taking advantage of an opportunity offered to them, as I suspect a lot of us would. To me, if one wants to point fingers, I'd start with the millions of people willing to watch this stuff.

pink
05-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Funny, because John and Kate Plus 8 isn't viewed as exploitation. Odds are they are doing it for the money, too.

I never thought of it like that before. However, on one of the episodes Kate said that the show was originally only supposed to be a one hour special but people were so interested that they kept the show going. She said there only motivation for the special was to ease peoples curiosity. I see Denise Richards and Dina Lohan's cases differently because those two families already have enough money then they know what to do with meanwhile Jon and Kate were struggling to support eight children on one income. :mickey:

NotaGeek
05-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I never thought of it like that before. However, on one of the episodes Kate said that the show was originally only supposed to be a one hour special but people were so interested that they kept the show going. She said there only motivation for the special was to ease peoples curiosity. I see Denise Richards and Dina Lohan's cases differently because those two families already have enough money then they know what to do with meanwhile Jon and Kate were struggling to support eight children on one income. :mickey:
I think the problem behind this logic is, how can we judge what "enough money" is ... Denise Richards doesn't live a life like regular people. Sure, the money she is getting is enough for us to live comfortably, but laws in California provide that she and the kids have the same style of living as they did when she and her husband were married. We aren't talking about "normal people" ... I am sure this happens all the time across the USA, but for some reason what she is doing is bad because we see her on TV.

Like I said, I really don't care, I just refuse to judge anyone for wanting to get more money. I would gladly do a reality show and exploit all my INTERCOT friends if I could! :mickey:

d_m_n_n
05-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I am a huge fan of reality tv, but I won't be watching either of these shows. Despite the fact I don't care about either of these families, I have so little respect for the "mothers" that I can't do it. Watching Denise Richards do the talk show circuit this week made me want to :sick:. And Ali on Letterman the other night...:shake:

As to Jon and Kate (and I know my view is very unpopular on this board), they are doing the same thing.

Patriot News- 5/8/05
"Kate Gosselin said she feels society has a responsibility to help with the children, since modern medicine promotes the use of fertility drugs, which can lead to multiple births."

PirateLover
05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
but laws in California provide that she and the kids have the same style of living as they did when she and her husband were married. We aren't talking about "normal people" ...
Really? I am ignorant to California law of course because I live clear across the country, but this seems ridiculous. What if there's a stock market crash or you frivolously spend and go into debt? I'm sorry I just don't buy that Denise Richards HAS to do a reality show with her family in it to make money. Another thing to take into consideration with both of these shows is that neither father wanted their child to be in them. And I do think that Jon and Kate + 8 is a bit different for the reasons already stated. Good for you on not wanting to judge people, but I don't really have an issue with judging these two women, especially Dina Lohan who basically enabled her daughter (Lindsay) to become an anorexic alcoholic drug addict in front of the entire world.

NotaGeek
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Really? I am ignorant to California law of course because I live clear across the country, but this seems ridiculous. What if there's a stock market crash or you frivolously spend and go into debt? I'm sorry I just don't buy that Denise Richards HAS to do a reality show with her family in it to make money. Another thing to take into consideration with both of these shows is that neither father wanted their child to be in them. And I do think that Jon and Kate + 8 is a bit different for the reasons already stated. Good for you on not wanting to judge people, but I don't really have an issue with judging these two women, especially Dina Lohan who basically enabled her daughter (Lindsay) to become an anorexic alcoholic drug addict in front of the entire world.

Wow. That statement speaks volumes about how the press in America affects people. I have no idea how you can be so cut and dry on this or any subject when you don't know these people. Maybe the best fight you can make is to just not watch the show, and keep judging everyone in private.

PirateLover
05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Wow. That statement speaks volumes about how the press in America affects people. I have no idea how you can be so cut and dry on this or any subject when you don't know these people. Maybe the best fight you can make is to just not watch the show, and keep judging everyone in private.
Well, like I said, I won't be watching these shows. I'll concede that the Denise Richards situation is not so cut and dry... there is a lot of "he said she said" and she certainly is getting painted as the crazy one, so who knows, although I still think that there are other ways for her to make money rather than putting her children in a reality show. But Dina Lohan was consistently photographed actually going to clubs with Lindsay when she was still underaged, with Lindsay coming out obviously obliterated. Talk about right under your nose. How many times was Lindsay in and out of rehab, and how long did it take for her to even go in the first place? Now she is practically uninsurable and many move studios won't even work with her. Her mom was more concerned with being her daughter's friend and being famous herself than being a mom and looking out for her daughter's best interest, and as a result played a hand in practically ruining Lindsay's once promising career. Hopefully Dina learns from her mistakes but by the looks of Ali Lohan I don't think she has. This is how I feel and we are entitled to have differing opinions. :shrug:

NotaGeek
05-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, like I said, I won't be watching these shows. I'll concede that the Denise Richards situation is not so cut and dry... there is a lot of "he said she said" and she certainly is getting painted as the crazy one, so who knows, although I still think that there are other ways for her to make money rather than putting her children in a reality show. But Dina Lohan was consistently photographed actually going to clubs with Lindsay when she was still underaged, with Lindsay coming out obviously obliterated. Talk about right under your nose. How many times was Lindsay in and out of rehab, and how long did it take for her to even go in the first place? Now she is practically uninsurable and many move studios won't even work with her. Her mom was more concerned with being her daughter's friend and being famous herself than being a mom and looking out for her daughter's best interest, and as a result played a hand in practically ruining Lindsay's once promising career. Hopefully Dina learns from her mistakes but by the looks of Ali Lohan I don't think she has. This is how I feel and we are entitled to have differing opinions. :shrug:

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, I was just shocked at how you voiced it.

Let's get this back on track Maryanne, clearly you have a strong educated view on this, and your point has been made.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Anybody else seen an episode of this show?
Curious, so I watched as much as I could stand....I just kept thinking about all my little junior high girls sitting home taking in this over the summer. I'll know where their attitudes come from when we get back to school....:drama: :shake:

NotaGeek
06-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Even though I don't watch this show (and it seems that hardly anyone else in America is either) I really don't think that anyone can blame their kids bad attitudes on a show with the Lohans.

I would suggest contacting you Cable company and investigate on parent blocking so the show isn't watched in your house. :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Even though I don't watch this show (and it seems that hardly anyone else in America is either) I really don't think that anyone can blame their kids bad attitudes on a show with the Lohans.

I would suggest contacting you Cable company and investigate on parent blocking so the show isn't watched in your house. :thumbsup:
Sigh....:shake:
My own girls are grown and doing just fine, thank you....I was referring to my students, whose attitudes cannot of course be blamed on a show with the Lohans, but perhaps it crosses their minds that it's OK to act like that.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Minnie Imagineer
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I watched this show a few times...i cannot stand it yet if nothing is on I'll watch it for a good laugh! Dina Lohan gets on my nerves! I think it is hilarious how they try to incorperate Lindsey in this show (Dina calls her, yet we don't hear L's voice, there are pictures and posters of her everywhere!). What is this show even based on? Ali's singing career??? I have never heard of a cd by her...and shes a pretty bad singer, not that I could sing any better I just don't know why they made a show about it

Disneyatic
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
This show and that whole family makes me absolutely sick :ack:
I hate the trend of glamorizing families and problems for entertainment.

I will admit that with reality TV it's hard sometimes to NOT watch, but I havne't had that problem with this show.
The ONLY reason these people have any exposure is because of Lindsay Lohan and all she has done lately to be recognized for are things that you shouldn't be proud of.

NotaGeek
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Sigh....:shake:
My own girls are grown and doing just fine, thank you....I was referring to my students, whose attitudes cannot of course be blamed on a show with the Lohans, but perhaps it crosses their minds that it's OK to act like that.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry, I reread your original post and it still wasn't clear that you were a teacher referring to students in your class. I am not sure what the big sigh was for ... since I don't know you personally I thought you were talking about your own kids.

henry.james.s
06-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I hate these tabloid/reality type shows. Individuals that keep themselves in the public eye by doing a series like this have no class IMO.
It's all just "look at me" I'm famous!!. :ack:

KineGirl
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
My opinion of the Lohan show is WHO CARES?! Just seems like a PR push. Not that Lindsey is some super talent but IMO her sister is a wanna be AT BEST and probably another train wreck in the making.

I like a lot of reality shows but not the ones about ppl who are already famous.. I see them on tv or in the movies enough and I usually barely like them there! I did like Reality Rehab though. At least some of those ppl were trying to get a grip.

Minnie Imagineer
06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I've watched 'It's Complicated' (what is with that title???) and I find it addicting, it is so bad its interesting....but i do get addicted to any reality tv show. Both shows are pointless. Hasn't denise richards only done a few movies, i thought she was just famous for her celeb relationships. Anyway, i think her youngest daughter (lolo i think) is absolutly adorable, she is so cute!the older one always looks so unhappy...

MNNHFLTX
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I have not watched either show but it's been interesting seeing Dina and Ali Lohan on a couple of talk shows. Ali seems awkward and uncomfortable most of the time; I even saw her hands trembling this morning while she was talking to the co-hosts on the view. I'm not sure what to take away from seeing this, but it made me feel bad for her nervousness. As far as them talking about being "just a normal family" on the show, I have no clue as I still am not interested enough to watch it. :shrug: