PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Bravery!!!

Imagineer1981
06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
What is your best story of overcoming the fear of riding..(insert scary music)...a WDW attraction

Mine has to be when I was 7, my uncle had me thinking Space Mountain was so scary and intense that while we were in line, I had a little accident. Well I never did ride it until I was 22 and working for Disney at ...you guessed it...Space Mountain. Now you can't keep me off it. Just curious how others ended up braving a ride they were scared of, like ToT or RNRC, etc.

Goofeygal
06-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I am affraid of roller coasters but I am the biggest Aerosmith fan!! so to get me to go on it with my hubby he told me how they play aerosmith music the whole ride so there ya go how I got on R&R coaster. Oh yeah I actually got to meet Steven Tyler in the MK once, a dream come true. So it does go to prove that disney is the most magical place on earth.

Gottaluvgoof
06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Honestly, I can't remember ever being afraid of getting on a ride. I guess I'm a dare devil when it comes to rides. Mission Space que areas probably scared me more than any others. They have warnings posted everywhere. I think the warnings scared me more than the thought of the ride though. I rode it and loved it.

Marilyn Michetti
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
We took DD and D(future)SIL in Jan. of 2004. I wanted to impress him, so when he wanted to do TOT, I said I'd go with him. Scared to death, but I did it. (The picture shows him looking at me - my eyes shut tight). Now, it's one of my favorites. I do the singles line.:thumbsup:

TinkiTime1989
06-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I have been terrified at the thought of going on ToT for as long as I can remember. In 13 years of trips I had skipped it every time. Last summer, my dad bribed me into riding it saying I could buy whatever I wanted for the rest of the day and I would never have to ride it again if I didn't like it. I sat between my parents and my best friend Jess was on the end. By the end of the ride my dad had claw marks on his arm from my fingers digging into him. All I remember was my mom kept telling me to breathe over and over again because I literally held my breath the entire time!

gwfx1031
06-20-2008, 01:55 PM
When my little guy was two for his first trip he was pretty frightened by just about everything, except Mickey, or course. To help him we told him he needed to be scarier than waht frightened him so we told him to be "monster baby" and when he started to tense up, he would growl out loud at things. It helped really well and by then end of the trip he was doing great.

Imagineer1981
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
When my little guy was two for his first trip he was pretty frightened by just about everything, except Mickey, or course. To help him we told him he needed to be scarier than waht frightened him so we told him to be "monster baby" and when he started to tense up, he would growl out loud at things. It helped really well and by then end of the trip he was doing great.

I'll remember that advise, my son is 4months so we still have time, but sounds good

tinkerbellybutton
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Mine was when I was 5. My dad took me to the haunted mansion while my mom took my brother and sister. By the time we got out of the ride I had a button imprint on my cheek because I kept my eyes closed and my face squished into his chest. He said if I would go again and keep my eyes open he'd buy me a stuffed thumper, so I did and have been hooked ever since!

disneygeek84
06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't think I ever had a chance to be scared. The first time I went when I was 4 and we rode BTMRR. My dad decided he wanted to video the whole thing so he wasn't holding onto me. You never see me in the video, but you can hear me. It's pretty funny, actually. I kind of scream the whole time. I remember being afraid, but after that I kept thinking that I could do anything if I could do BTMRR without being held onto. :mickey:

WriteDisney
06-20-2008, 03:31 PM
This isn't really an "overcoming your fear" type story but it relates to fear (and its kind of funny) so here goes...

On my senior trip (high school) my friends and I were visiting Animal Kingdom.. none of us had really been to this park before (it was still somewhat new at the time.. i guess you could say its new now).. well as we were wandering around the park (aimless like most teenagers).. we came upon something that looked like a ride.. it had a BIG dinosaur in the front... and lo and behold.. a large sign that said "DINOSAUR"..

being the clueless teenagers that we were... we wandered into the entrance with a group of other folks.. wondering what this ride was.. I had been on a ride when i was little.. you watch a movie.. screen lifts up .. animatronic dinos on the sides (none that looked that frightening.. but i like.. four.. so they sure frightened me!)...peaceful... I thought it was that (side note: what WAS that ride? anyone know? early 90s.. haven't come across anything like it in my past two trips)...

anyways.. we ask the cast members working in the main area what it is.. they give us a funny look and say something cryptic.. you'll see.. and when they take the kids out into another area (before the ride).. thats when we all get a little freaked out...

so.. we had NO idea what we were in for (altho.. now i think that part of our group might have been tricking the other.. but who knows)... i was absolutely horrifed, out of my mind scared

and i've only been on it one other time since then (and still absolutely horrified)

WDWFREAK101
06-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I took a shot of Beverly. I think that is the bravest thing you can do in Disney. Eiether that or try to **** in your crying while you are leaving the parking lot. :sob:

browneyedgirl12
06-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Riding the Alien Encounter ride when you are seven years old. Definitley the bravest thing i have ever done at Disney.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Back many years ago I didn't ride roller coasters at all! I got in this line with a friend because we were following some cute guys. Well it was Space Mtn. My friend said it goes really slow so I stayed in line. I was green by the time I got off the ride. Haven't been back on it since.

Then I used to say that I'd ride ToT "next time" as I stood there looking at it. Well, I told my nephew one year that "next time" is here. He and I went on it. I got off and said that I've done it and I never need to do it again! He didn't want to go back on with his mother so she had to go alone. Now HE loves the ride!

EditReject
06-21-2008, 02:44 AM
I had been on a ride when i was little.. you watch a movie.. screen lifts up .. animatronic dinos on the sides (none that looked that frightening.. but i like.. four.. so they sure frightened me!)...peaceful... I thought it was that (side note: what WAS that ride? anyone know? early 90s.. haven't come across anything like it in my past two trips)...

I think the ride you are referring to is Ellen's Energy Adventure in the Universe of Energy.

dumbo ears
06-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Mine is the first time I rode aerosmith rollercoaster. I had never ridden a rollercoaster before and my friend forced me to do it and i did it 2 more times that day. Now i can do any rollercoaster and ive been do six flags in GA many times and rode every rollercoaster

kadesha
06-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Well I am a wimp because I haven't overcame any fears yet. Last time we were there I was determined that I was going to ride soarin'. But I chickened out. ( I get motion sickness and am terribly afraid of heights) But I am determined once again to do it this time. If I can just make it to my seat and buckle up this time, they'll be no turning back, since the buckles lock!

DisneyWhirled
06-21-2008, 11:03 PM
My biggest tale of bravery is letting my DS8 ride the big rides!!! Although, I love them, I was so afraid that DS would be scared to death. Come to find out he loves each and everyone of them! RNRC being his fav, followed by Everest.