PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else get a letter about your Disney stock?

TheDuckRocks
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Yesterday we received a letter from BNY Mellon Shareowner Services that a box of data back-up tapes are missing from shipment to an off-site storage facility. To make a long story short they notified us that "the following personal information about you: your name, postal address, Social Security number and share owner information" was in these missing boxes.
Oh joy!
Then there was 2 pages of instructions of what we have to do to protect ourselfs from Identity fraud.
To say the least I'm not a happy camper this morning. Anybody else out there also doing a slow burn?

BMan62
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
That has more to do with your bank than with the stock. I'm not a BNY Mellon customer, so no message.

This is happening more and more often with these places losing data when shipping backups offsite.

Not good!:mad:

Ghost * Hostess
06-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I received this letter also and have some one looking into it. I thought is was bologna but if they are sending it to people who had there info stolen I guess it isn't.
I dont use BNY Mellon, is that a bank?
I guess if this is legit, I will have to look into getting credit reports done.

Wells
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Keep in mind that you are entitled to one free copy of your credit report per year from each of the three credit reporting agencys according to federal law. You can obtain these reports by going to annualcreditreport.com (I hope this isn’t a TOS violation, but this is important). You are also allowed to place a "credit alert" notification on your credit reports if you have reason to believe that you may become the victim of identity theft. This will remain active for 90 days and you can renew it if you think it is necessary. You must request this from each credit reporting agency individually.
Good Luck!:thumbsup:

meldan98
06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
BNY is a clearing house for stock transactions. When you purchase stock through your broker, your shares are then electronically transfered through the clearing house (also known as a transfer agent). When the stocks are transfered from one broker to another for either a sale or purchase the transfer agent is the company that Disney contracts with to manage their stock. The clearing house or transfer agent records who the shareholder is who is selling the stock and then who the shareholder is who is purchasing the stock. This information will typically just include your name, address, ssn, and account number at your broker. This data is then used to contact you regarding dividends, proxy notifications (voting), annual reports, etc.).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I didn't get a letter. Is it maybe only some people who were affected?

EpcotChic23
06-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I recived the letter yesterday also. I have my stock brooker looking into. I first thought it was a joke, but it was serious. I am a little upset also.

lindique
06-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I just received the letter today, and I'm pretty upset. They are offering us 24 months of free credit monitoring, which I will sign up for as soon as I figure out if this letter is legitimate. I went to the Bank of New York/ Mellon website but couldn't find a link to the page that they mentioned, so I would like to check out if the webpage they cited in the letter is a real Mellon page or a fraud. By the way, Mellon is a huge NY City investment bank, and I guess they merged with the Bank of New York, which is legitimate too. I guess I will call around on Monday.

Marilyn Michetti
06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
My, my, myyyyy Disney Stock?????????? OMG, I wish I had heard about this when we were trying to sell Amway.:beat: We could be RICH now.........:cry:

Anybody wanna buy 200 quarts of Germicidal?

Ian
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, we got a letter, too.

I signed up for the free credit monitoring already. It's a legit offer through Experian.

TheDuckRocks
06-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes, the letter is legit, the first thing I did was contact Disney Investor Relations to verify.
Thanks Ian, for letting us know that there are no hidden costs for the 24-month monitoring period.
I guess I'm going to be having a very busy afternoon getting everything in place.

Capt. Sparrow
06-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Should I be concerned about this if I am a Disney stock holder and did NOT receive a letter about this?

disneyfamily05
06-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Hmm... I have not received a letter yet either. I suppose I will wait to see if anything comes in the mail today.

5togetherWDW
06-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Though I have only a couple Disney shares - bought long ago -- my letter arrived about an hour ago. My best friend, who only has one share - given as a gift - received hers in todays mail, as well. So, our pretty framed documents -- have allowed our personal information to be possibly accessed by creeps (and I thought that was what the ex-husband was for . . .)
Guess I'll follow the directions for the protection . . . .

mrsgaribaldi
06-23-2008, 05:58 PM
I got the letter too:(

jennsky
06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh great. Guess I'll have to check my mail to see if I'm getting one too...

lindique
06-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who checked this out. I did too, came to the conclusion that it was legitimate, and enrolled yesterday. The website says it takes 7-10 days to become effective.

Cinderelley
06-25-2008, 01:53 AM
I got the letter today, too. My DH said, you better sign up for the credit monitoring. I said "I wish there was somewhere to call to find out if it's legit." Then my next sentence was, "I'll log on to intercot to see if anyone else knows anything." He just rolled his eyes and started laughing. Well, sure enough, here it is. I guess I'll have to call when I get home from work in the morning.

Jeff
06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
I got "the letter" yesterday.
Great!

Dznygrl79
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I also got the "letter" in question. I couldnt figur out who it was from at first I have stock in the company I work for as well as Disney and BOA so now at least I know which company to be upset with.

Grumpy's Daughter
06-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I got my letter today.....

All 3 of my kids have stock, also- I'm waiting to see if they get letters.

adlevy
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I too tended to believe this was just an attempt to get social security and other personal information for identity theft. I called Disney Shareholder Services at 818 533 7200 in Burbank and the message on their tape was that the communication from BNY Mellon was valid and that they suggest contacting Mellon ASAP to complete the information.

Diznee4Me
06-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Got my letter this morning and already joined. Something else to worry about.:shake:

jpH/keD
06-28-2008, 10:54 AM
GREAT!!! We got that letter! I thought it was junk!! Both of my kids have Disney stock!! The letter came addressed to my DH who is the adult on the stock !!! I did not call or contact them for the monitoring!!:mad:

Of course Intercot is on top of things! Thanks... now more to worry about.:(

mickey&missy
06-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Lovely! My DD owns 1 share of Disney stock that was given to her as a gift when she was a baby! We didn't get a letter.

Should I contact someone?

I'd hate to have my 7 year olds indentity stolen!

A Mouse Fan
07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I got my letter also! This makes me very :mad: ! I was unsure on whether to sign up for the free monitoring, but it sounds legit from the things I read about it! You just never know! I guess I had better sign up for the monitoring ASAP!

conorsmom2000
07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, we got the letter yesterday as well. Conor has 5 shares of Disney that I am the custodian of - but, I'm not sure if they are under his SS# or mine, so I'm not sure who needs the credit monitoring...?? :confused: