PDA

View Full Version : Help with car stereo

LauraF
06-20-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't know if we have any experts in this sort of thing out there . . . it just started yesterday. I'm a long-distance commuter and not having music is driving me nuts! :crazy:

Symptoms: Usually CD will not play when inserted and will immediately eject. Stereo makes a humming noise right before CD is ejected. Sometimes CD will play, but every few seconds the sound will be interrupted by a static noise that skips the CD. I have tried all sorts of CDs with the same result. The radio plays perfectly.

I assumed that there was dust on the lens or the laser, so I bought a cleaning disc and tried it today. It played through once, but didn't solve the problem. (Though I did notice dust on the little brushes.) Right now the stereo is refusing to accept any CDs so I can't re-run the cleaner disc. There is no door/tray on the player, just a little slot, so I can't open it enough to blow some compressed air in there.

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion and there's a recall and TSB on the *6-CD player* having this issue, but us single-CD folks appear to be SOL. :mad:

I know my dealer will want me to cough up $$$ to get it fixed, but I'd prefer not to have to do that. (The cost of a new stereo is less, but I hate to toss the baby out with the bathwater.)Anybody have any suggestions for fixes that don't involve me opening the dashboard? Thanks!

garymacd
06-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Hmm. Sounds like it's broke to me.

Sorry, not a lot of help. If the dealer wants a fortune for a new one, try ebay. You might be able to find one that someone took out of their car and replaced with an aftermarket unit. You can usually get them cheap. Make certain the seller has a refund if delivered DOA policy.

Flower
06-20-2008, 11:24 AM
The only problem with an aftermarket - be careful your current car stereo does not affect other features.

We considered replacing ours because when you are on one particular station (Which is a good station!) It will play for about 2 minutes and then jumps to a classical station. It only does it with the 1 station though.

We spoke to someone about a replacement and they said that because we can reset the oil and other features thru the radio, that to replace it may screw other stuff up.

If you go thru the dealer they will be able to order you a replacement and set it up - but it is going to cost you. I would keep inquiring through the dealer to see if there has been a 'recall' or 'campaign' issued for the vehicle.

You mention the problem with CD's, have you considered getting an IPOD? With all of your music on an IPOD you can buy the radio transmitter for the car which broadcasts your music thru the cars stereo. This would work if there are not any problems with the radio features. :thumbsup:

LauraF
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I have my old portable CD player hoooked up right now to a transmitter. But it slides all over the seat and it's a real pain to change CDs. I don't own an iPod, though this might be the final straw that sends me off to the store!

I thankfully have no "features" through my radio, so I could get a nice aftermarket one and be fine, though with a car with 130K on it I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. I'll see what the nice guys at Tweeter have to say when I talk to them about a new stereo.

Thanks guys!

DizneyRox
06-20-2008, 10:57 PM
May I suggest Sirius satellite radio? I haven't listened to a CD in years. There's always something on, I like Hair Nation and the 80's station. My better half likes Sirius Hits One and The Pulse. The stations are varied and they often go pretty deep into the albums.

LauraF
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Hmm.

How difficult would it be to take the transponder/transmitter and switch it to a new car? (I anticipate a new car in my near-ish future - like three years.)