PDA

View Full Version : the enchanted tiki room?

ASweetLov
06-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I have been to WDW twice and have never been on this attaction or show. I will be goinbg back around April 2009 with my sister and was wondering what exactlly is the tiki room? was wondering if it would be something that she might enjoy since it will be her first time to WDW!:mickey:

Thanks,
Natacha

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
We love the tiki room. I know, corny as it is....but it's fun. The song gets in your head and you will find yourself singing it later on. If you like Zazu from Lion King and Iago from Aladdin, you will like the show. Besides, it is a place to sit for 10 minutes and you are in the airconditioning. Always an added bonus.:cool:

"In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.....
in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room.....
all the birds sing words and the flowers croon
in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room."

Rekenna
06-19-2008, 01:48 PM
We went to the Tiki Room on our last trip. It is a little corny, but if you have never been you should go! It consists of animontronic (sp?) birds above your head. It is a little dark-and a nice cool place to relax. We liked the talking totem poles on the walls.

It has a great Walt Disney type nostalgia.

Check it out!:mickey:

ASweetLov
06-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks! I will have to go and check it out with my sister :mickey:

ransam
06-19-2008, 02:18 PM
It's so corny. I love it.
try to go in the middle of the day. LIke others have said it's one of the coolest (as in temperature) spots at the MK....
I think you should go becasue of the nostalgia. it was one of the first rides, one of the first animontronic (sp) that disney created.

illini
06-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Definitely corny, and an absolute favorite. We go pretty much every day that we're in MK. The cold AC doesn't hurt, either. Oh, and its proximity to Dole Whips. :mickey:

WDWFREAK101
06-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I know I'm going to be hated for this but I just didn't like it. I was a fan of the original but this one is CORNY! It is a good place to get some time away from the sun and some AC but isn't that what the TTA is for? :mickey: If you like Iago and Zazu then you will like it but I wasn't a fan. I rode it once and I'm good for at least 5 years untill I ride it again. I was hoping that this could be a sleep through ride but it isn't. CM are in there with you and the music is so loud that you can't go to sleep. I have to admit though, the Tiki god is pretty cool. The only reason I go back to that is to see the Tiki God. However brief the time is that you see the Tiki God, it is cool! If you REALLY want to see it, then I say check it out, I mean there is no reason NOT to check it out so I say go for it!

emmingo
06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Its awesome! Or...it was awesome and now its just pretty awesome...but that's just me nitpicking about the post-remodel Tiki Room. Its still good (and waaaay better than Country Bears, if you ask me). I love the song...:D

Kairi_7378
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
My MIL refused to take DH in there when he was there as a child and young adult. Maybe she's afraid of birds? Her middle name is Polly so she is a little sensitive about parrots...

Anyway, we love the tiki room! It's cool and a nice place to sit down. It's so corny but it is still cute. I can remember the old tiki room from my first trip (when I was 3) and it's a little sad that they changed it but it is still worth a visit. A big step up from the Country Bears, IMO.

henry.james.s
06-20-2008, 05:59 PM
First saw it in 1977 (gosh 31yrs ago!!) and even though they changed it....I still LOVE IT!!
It's often overlooked but it's a gem. :number1:

laward32
06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
It's a cute show. My two DDs like it. You at least need to go once. Plus like most of the previous posters have said, its a great place to get out of the heat.:mickey:

dmosher
06-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Yeah it is a corny attraction, but SOOO MUCH FUN. Taking DW there for the first time in Sept.
If you plan to go just learn the words to the song before you do. There is nothing worse than having a song stuck in your head all day and not know the words to it. Believe me it WILL be STUCK in your head!!!

Good Luck and enjoy.
:pipes:
D

djsharp
06-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I have been in the tiki room all four times I've ever gone to DL or DW. Granted, my last time to any park was in 1987, so I don't know what changes they've made other than what I've read about adding Zazu and such, but it has always been my favorite. I loved the Country Bears too, but the last two times I was at a park they were closed, so that was about 1980 when I saw them last. Those two places are on our "Must do" list for this trip.

Lorraine444
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
K... Don't anyone be upset, I'm going against the grain here.
Please replace this with something else.
I may have been really, really hot & crabby but it was off the wall horrible, except if you're a young one.
Go ahead take a hit @ me back... :thedolls:

andreallybadeggs
06-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I may have been really, really hot & crabby but it was off the wall horrible, except if you're a young one.

OMG you should be excommunicated from Intercot you horrible, horrible person. Nah, not really. DH doesn't really care for it either but DD and I feel a little cheated if we skip it. Also prefer the old version but we still like it because:
1) I'm nostalgic and remember the attraction from a childhood trip to DL
2) DD appreciates anything in which Walt had a hand.
3) "In the tiki,tiki,tiki,tiki,tiki room" is one way to drive "It's a small world after all..."from our brains for awhile.:D
So back to the original question--
If you're expecting rock-em/sock-em/get your heart beating way too many beats per minute action this is not an attraction for you. But then precious little at WDW would be for you.
If a return to a cornier and more simplistic time suits you, it'll give you a chuckle.
OH-- and while I prefer TR to BCJ, I can't believe you folks that love corn would willingly miss out on Big Al's "Blood" song and hideous banjo. Ain't no accountin' for taste. ;)

elmjimmlm
06-22-2008, 03:52 PM
It was cute for my kids and it was a great place to cool off for my DH and myself...:mickey:

Wells
06-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Everybody sing!
...In the tiki,tiki,tiki,tiki, tiki room,
in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room,
all the birds speak words and the flowers croon,
in the tiki,tiki,tiki,tiki, tiki room....

And a question for you Disney trivia experts...
How many voices did Paul Frees provide for the original tiki room show? (I've never seen the new version)...

SFTrny
06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
It's a classic oldie and I recommend that everyone see it once...even if it is so that you can complain about it! :-)

If you like Country Bears and Carousel of Progress, you'll like the Tiki Room. If you hate those shows...well...

Snow's Mom
06-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Spare her the Tiki Room. :twocents:

I remember Country Bears....thought it would never end.

Hey, but I LIKE Carousel of Progress!

ParkMan
06-22-2008, 09:58 PM
It's funny - I've found this ride is one you either love or hate.

My kids & I really like it - no trip is complete without going at least once.

My wife & parents always find it a really long 10 minutes.

I agree with an early poster - you gotta go at least once - even if just to figure out you don't want to go again :)

RBrooksC
06-23-2008, 07:42 AM
We, as a family, went to see this back in 1976. My parents didn't really like it so in 1983 and then again in 1989 we did not go to see this. It wasn't until I went back in May 2001 that I saw and loved it. If one can allow oneself to relax and enjoy Disney from the view of a child, then this room is fun. However, I have seen or spoken to too many people who can't let go of being "an adult" to enjoy many of the magical things that are in Disney.

katzctkpt
06-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Personally, I didn't care for it. But, if you need a break from the heat etc... stop by and check it out and be the judge for yourself.

djsharp
06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Spare her the Tiki Room. :twocents:

I remember Country Bears....thought it would never end.

Hey, but I LIKE Carousel of Progress!

No I must be the odd one out :blush: I remember hating the carousel of Progress when I was a kid. I remember feeling like I was in school. .....Or maybe that was the ride with all the presidents.....or is that the same ride.....ugh... it's been far to long.... I just remember loving the Country Bears and Tiki....but then again, we used to sing the "AlkaSelzer" song in the car to annoy my Mom while we were on road trips! :thedolls:

disneyorvegas
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I saw it once, my wife talked me into it and she's lucky she is alive today to talk about it! Sorry, but I was looking to escape within minutes of the program starting. It was highly enjoyable for my wife, because she knew I was suffering.:haha: It's no doubt great for young kids and other fanatics, but it just wasn't for me. I do agree that since it's an original concept people should at least check it out. But if they ever replace it I won't be in mourning!

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
The Tiki-Room is cute. It isn't a must do every trip, but we do go most trips.

Don't forget to stay until the very, very, end (after everyone else has left) to hear the "Hall of Presidents" comment from Iago!

LudwigVonDrake
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I prefer the original Tiki Room.

TIGGER17179
06-26-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm with you! the only reason I do it is because we go in the summer and it's a cool place to sit and rest your eyes for a minute. My sister loves it though so it works out for us both... I do wish they hadn't changed it.. it was better with the original tiki birds singing... the new twist is rather streching it a bit.

djsharp
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
We just got back and I have to say I didn't like the new version that they have of the Tiki room. The new Goddess is cool, but that's about it. The old version was much more fun. Disney has two versions of Mission Space, they need to make two versions of the Tiki room. Traditional version and the Under New Management Version.

Jasper
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I also liked the old one better but the new one is well worth the visit as well especially if you haven't been before. Just remember, while it is fine to get an idea of what an attraction is like you should always check it out yourself in order to decide if you like it or not.

For example, even though most of us on these boards would say we really dislike the drink Beverly there are those that do actually like it. So how do you know which camp you will fall into until you try it!

garthbarth1
07-23-2008, 04:40 PM
I have never been to the Tiki room either...is it an acutal ride with moving cars, or is at a show that you watch? TIA :mickey:

Young@Heart
07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I have never been to the Tiki room either...is it an acutal ride with moving cars, or is at a show that you watch? TIA :mickey:

It's a show that you watch. :mickey:

We actually like this, but I'm sure a lot of that is b/c DC like it. I don't know if we'd see it if it was just myself and DH. In fact, I'm getting a little "too used to" Country Bears, and tried to talk DC out of it this trip, but DD would hear nothing of the sort. And of course, anniversary or not, we go to WDW for our kids (well, and us :blush:).

PopDivaPaige
07-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I love the tiki room! It's song is so catchy and annoying that your just love it! Like It's A Small World, but better. Iago is my favorite in it. I always loved the Aladdin movie. Iago is hilarious, and pompous, but when isn't he?:thumbsup:

Mousemates
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd def go if I were you....a good escape from the heat in the afternoon and the show is fairly entertaining (much better than the slower and even cornier Country bear jamboree). I do agree with the folks who said the original was better than the update.

Nurse Kim
07-24-2008, 12:02 PM
My kids and I went on our first trip and we loved it. My son is picky about what he likes and he ws 15 and really liked it. I think it just depends on each person.