PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Allowance & Children Items

LeeAnn
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
It's Me(36), DH38, DD5, DS4, & DDS2.

When we travel, it's not lite. No, not the clothes. It's those bulky items.

We take a double stroller, a single stroller (which we gate check). And three car seats (which last time only took 1 onboard and 2 were checked). It was easier to check than to try to carry 3 car seats, double stroller & single stroller and kids and carry on thru security.

Now w/ all the changes. Do I have to pay to check in the car seats?

Do I have to pay to gate check the strollers?

Family of 5 going on Probably Jet Blue that means 5 Free Check-in items. Does have included car seats and stroller? That will leave nothing for clothes.

Thanks for your help.

KylesMom
06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
You really need to check with your specific carrier once you book your flight - or before you book! For instance, this is United's policy:

United exempts the following personal items from the one piece limit:

Child safety seats for ticketed children
Assistive devices (e.g. canes, crutches, etc.)
Outer garments (e.g. coats, hats, etc.)

Mickey'sGirl
06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
....Air Canada does not (funny 'cause they are partnered with United, are they not?)

We are flying to LA in July, and DS4's Carseat will constitute one checked bag....Thankfully we purchased early, and that wont be an issue....

I would call your airline directly.

Madame Leona
06-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I would contact your airline to see what the policy is. I'm also finding out that there is nothing to prevent them from changing the baggage policy after you book your seat. For examply, I booked on Spirit and the first bag was free at the time of booking. However, they have changed there policy and it looks like I may have to pay for the first bag.

g0189a
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
yikes! Even more reason to drive down than fly!

Don't forget fuel surcharges and buying meals on the plane now. When will this stop?

CanadianWDWFan
06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
yikes! Even more reason to drive down than fly!

Don't forget fuel surcharges and buying meals on the plane now. When will this stop?
This is the normal way to operate now.

Most airlines that I have checked out their policies for will not charge for a car seat, if your child is using one on the flight. If you are checking it then it will be considered a piece of luggage.

Fangorn
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
On Southwest, car seats and strollers can be checked (either normal or gate checked) and are not counted as luggage.

Steve

Aurora
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree with the other posters that you need to check directly with the airline. Things in the industry are changing by the DAY. We just got home Monday and weren't charged for checking the stroller at the door to the airplane, but that doesn't mean they won't change that tomorrow.

MuchLovedMama
06-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Can't the 5 year old go without a car seat? You've got me wondering now about laws & stuff. I have a DS5 going with us in September & I wasn't planning on taking a booster seat or anything for him. He doesn't even use one now at home. Am I wrong? Does he HAVE to have something?

SamG
06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Assuming you're renting a car, check with the rental agency and see if you can rent car seats from them. It would be less hassle (IMHO) than dragging the car seats from baggage claim to the rental lot.

MuchLovedMama
06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
O.K. I've found my answer for myself & thought I'd share it with you. DME doesn't allow car seats so I don't need them but if you're renting a car (as I am not) the Florida law states:

What is Florida's Child Restraint Law?

All children 5 years of age or younger must be properly restrained no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. (FL Statute 316.613).

If you wanted to go without car seats this time it looks like you could for 2 of them anyway. That's what I'd be doing to save myself from carrying the extra stuff but that's all up to how you feel about that kind of stuff.