PDA

View Full Version : End of year gifts for teachers?

Dsnygirl
06-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Hi guys -- got a question for everyone out there.

First of all, do you buy end-of-the-year gifts for your children's teachers? I know most of us do Christmas, and when my girls were at their private school, we did for Kindergarten, but not so much for the other elementary years.

Now, they're finishing their first year at the public school in our town, and I'm wondering about gifts and if people do them.

If you do, what is typical/appropriate? (My girls are finishing 1st and 4th grade)

I welcome comments from teachers, as well... I'd like to do something to say thank you, but I'm not sure what "the norm" is, and what teachers appreciate the most.

Thanks so much! :thanks:

PrincessEmmasMommy
06-19-2008, 05:25 AM
I teach third grade in an urban charter school. I often get gift cards and lotion type gifts. My daugher is in a private Pre-K and I get gifts for her teachers (usually something very small) for all occasions. Teacher gifts are something that people have been leaving out these days. We appreciate even a simple card that the kids make. Anything to show thanks. Hope this helps!
Jen

ILive4Disney
06-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Hi...I can tell you I am a teacher and some parents chose to do it and some don't...it's a choice really. As far as what kind of gift...the best way to go is a gift card to an educational store for class supplies, a bookstore, or even out to dinner.....especially after years of teaching...the amount of mugs, pens, etc. really piles up..not that they aren't appreciated because any gift is very thoughtful...just not as used I'm afraid. Another good idea is quality literature to read to the class..that is always greatly appreciated as well.

d_m_n_n
06-19-2008, 08:03 AM
I like to get an end of the year gift for the teachers just because I know how hard they work and sometimes don't get the appreciation/recognition they deserve. This year for DS10's teacher I got a gift card for a restaurant I know he and his wife enjoy (he is retiring soon which is why I didn't opt for the Staples card). For DS6's teacher I got a Staples card and a flower she had noticed on a field trip to the zoo. For his class assistant I got another restaurant gift card. I also wrote them thank you notes which included some of what the kids would share with me during the year. All of them (especially DS10's teacher) got a good laugh out of it!

ncscgirl2005
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
There was another thread on here that I started a few months ago pertaining to this same subject. You may wanna look that up for more ideas.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I forgot to give an update on what we finally decided to give to our daughter's teachers. We went with GAS CARDS (gift cards) and they were a huge success. Each teacher was more than thankful and we got big, tight squeezes on more than one occassion.

I decided against lotions and things of that nature because I don't know who's allergic to what. I've never met so many allergy-having people until I moved here to SC. Almost everyone has an allergy to something. But everyone needs gas whether you're allergic to it or not! ;)

Boojum
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
As a teacher, I can say I have enough candles, hand lotion, and coffee mugs for a lifetime!

What I appreciate are gift cards--this year, I had a couple of my students nose around and find out what my favorite restaurant was, then give me gift cards.

Also, gift cards to places like Staples and Office Depot are always welcome. My teacher budget never covers all the things I need, and these gift cards help me get them.

pink
06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't want to start another thread as it kind of pertains to this but do you think giving money as a gift is tacky? My brother goes to a school with small classrooms (6 kids, 1 teacher and 3 aids) and they give my brother very intense attention. We want to give him $100 and his aid $50. Do you think this is wrong? :mickey:

Georgesgirl1
06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Gift cards are great for teachers. Some of my favorites have been gift cards for a mani/pedi, dinner and a movie, and Borders. I do love the idea about gas cards. I can't think of any teacher that wouldn't appreciate that!
One of my favorite gifts of all time was a gift that I got the year DH and I bought our house. I had talked to a parent about being excited to have a yard to plant flowers in and she got me a garden bag with tools and put a sweet note about how I had helped her daughter "grow" during the year and now I could grow flowers at my new house. I was touched by the note and still have it!
For the person who asked if giving money was okay- I would say sure. I mean a gift card is in effect money that you can only spend at one place so go for it.

Kristin