PDA

View Full Version : Beverly

WDWFREAK101
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Anybody actually like this? It is one of the worst drinks I have ever tasted and I want to hear you guys! It is funny however to see the faces of newbies.

AHOTE
06-19-2008, 12:50 AM
:ack:, but it's great for newbies as long as you can keep a straight face when you tell them how good it is. :D

tadshome
06-19-2008, 02:58 AM
I was tricked into trying it but suprised everyone by actually liking it :laughing:

BritCody
06-19-2008, 06:54 AM
I have never taken my kids to try Beverly. I plan on surprising them this trip, especailly my DS!!!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-19-2008, 08:46 AM
YUCK! :sick:

Chris :hatter:

avantgardeinker
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I think it's disgusting, but I always send people in to try it, just to see the look on their face!!

:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
06-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Anybody actually like this? It is the WORST drink I have ever tasted and I want to hear you guys!

I would assume several million Italians since its sold in Italy as an aperitif. We're really drinking it incorrectly at WDW.

Its more of a sipping drink than drinking it like Coke. Being an aperitif its also intended to have food with it which would reduce the bitter flavour turning it a bit sweeter. When its drunk with a bit a food its actually not bad, by itself and swigged down like a Coke then the taste is too strong.

elmjimmlm
06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
All I can say is :ack::ack:

mdricks
06-19-2008, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Polynesian Dweller;1662432]I would assume several million Italians since its sold in Italy as an aperitif. QUOTE]

Yea? well, we sell head cheese in the states too.

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
It reminds me too much of a drink in Maine called Moxie. YUK:ack::sick:

Bethis26fan
06-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I tried it knowing how bad everyone said it was. When I drank it, I actual said Oh my God out loud.

kakn7294
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
It reminds me too much of a drink in Maine called Moxie. YUK:ack::sick:Hey Kristen, does this conversation sound just a little familiar to you?

I can't stand it but every once in a while, I have to try it just to remind myself how bad it really is. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess!

MushuGrl
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I agree with majority. It's awful. TRULY awful. But..GAWD it's funny watching everyone else try it!

Notice that it says it's an appetite increaser or something like that? My sister's classic reply: "You gotta EAT more to get that nasty taste out of your mouth!"

Marceline
06-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Can anybody describe the taste...besides just yuck....for those of us who have never tried Beverly? I gather it is extremely bitter, but can you describe it's nuances? Does it have a heavy citrus note? Perhaps a distinct anise aftertaste? Maybe it is the piquant flavor of gym socks? Just what is it that is soooo disgusting? :stir: :tasty: :D

MushuGrl
06-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I just finished posting this in another post..but get an orange and bite into the peel. That's what it reminded me of.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2008, 05:06 PM
All I can say is :ack::ack:

yea, me too :ack::ack::sick::sick::ill::ill:

bmj721
06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I tasted it at the Coca Cola place in Atlanta, GA, a few years ago and what I remember is it reminded me of the worst cough medicine I've ever tasted. And it lingered in my mouth.
:sick:

katzctkpt
06-19-2008, 06:08 PM
I tricked my kids and dh into trying it. :thedolls: You ought to have seen their faces. Priceless !

Polynesian Dweller
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I would assume several million Italians since its sold in Italy as an aperitif.

Yea? well, we sell head cheese in the states too.
Oh, no not head cheese. :ack:
Wish you hadn't brought up that one.

Oh, and by the way, I really don't like Beverly either as a drink, but have tried it with food and it does work better, not that I would have it at dinner.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I just finished posting this in another post..but get an orange and bite into the peel. That's what it reminded me of.

Yes! It tastes like the white part of a citrus peel.

I wouldn't say Beverly is the worst thing I've tasted. I don't like it but I'd be interested in trying it with food to see how that alters it's taste.

Cookie123
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
My favorite one just happens to be The Beverly.
To me it tastes like orange rind and Cloves.
It reminds me of my very favorite tea bags called "Constant Comment". You can buy this tea at any supermarket. I adore the smell of cloves, and so, for me, Beverly is perfect!

I don't know if The Beverly actually does have cloves in it, but to me it tastes like it.

disneydeb
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I've been known to eat the white of an orange peel and I think Beverly is OK. What is the big deal? ;)

crltkcagle
06-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't care for any of the drinks there! And I feel like I get a sugar rush just from a few sips. LOL

pdrlkr
06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
:sick: :ack:

beksy
06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I have only tried it once and didn't like it at all! Of course, I didn't mention what I'd learned to my sister when we first got to the sample area and had her to try it while I took pictures "just to show our parents what Club Cool was like!" :thedolls: The before, during, and after shots are priceless!

DisneyOtaku
06-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I can't stand Beverly! But I tricked a friend of mine last summer to try it. I swear, her eyes bugged out of her head :rotfl:

cal5755
06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe it is the italian in me but I like Beverly. DH doesn't mind it either...he thinks it tastes a bit like a shot of tequila.

dumbo ears
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
I think beverly is horrible. The taste is bitter and it almost makes me gag

JasonH
06-21-2008, 04:03 PM
...he thinks it tastes a bit like a shot of tequila.

Now see, I can drink Tequila straight up. I've even had Everclear straight up. I like the taste of both of those....but Beverly?? NO WAY!!:ack::ack:

Guess I'll have to do what the Italians do and try it with a bit of food and only sip it and maybe it won't be so bad.

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
:sick: :ack: 'Nough said?

Mousemates
06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I hate the taste...but love to watch folks try it for the first time...Ice station cool is both a good place relax and people watch.

EvilQueen2006
06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
It reminds me too much of a drink in Maine called Moxie. YUK:ack::sick:

I have to disagree. Moxie has a unique flavor, but its sweet. Not nearly as bitter as Beverly. As a native Maine-er I can't allow this camparison! :D

Can anybody describe the taste...besides just yuck....for those of us who have never tried Beverly? I gather it is extremely bitter, but can you describe it's nuances? Does it have a heavy citrus note? Perhaps a distinct anise aftertaste? Maybe it is the piquant flavor of gym socks? Just what is it that is soooo disgusting? :stir: :tasty: :D

I would have to say its similar to Pine-Sol.

Gator
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Half the fun is getting someone to try it. I can't imagine anyone actually saying, "No pepsi, I'd rather have a Beverly."

dolphinmickey9170
06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey Kristen, does this conversation sound just a little familiar to you?

I can't stand it but every once in a while, I have to try it just to remind myself how bad it really is. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess!

No punishment from me or for me. I'll let everyone else enjoy it.

I have to disagree. Moxie has a unique flavor, but its sweet. Not nearly as bitter as Beverly. As a native Maine-er I can't allow this camparison! :D

I would have to say its similar to Pine-Sol.

As a native Mainer, born and raised for 37 years, I tasted it several times as my uncle used to drink it and I thought I was being sneaky by taking his soda. Well, it was nasty then and it is still nasty today. I don't like bitter or sweet soda. :cool:

PineSol sounds like a good comparison to me!!:sick:

BriarRose
06-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Have you ever accidentally gotten a bit of hairspray in your mouth? That's what Beverly tastes like to me.

Our trip last November was our fourth trip to WDW and the first time to try Beverly. Although I thought it was one of the worst things I have ever tasted, I knew going in that it would taste bad.

I feel like I have now officially been to EPCOT. It's so infamous, it's like you can't really say you've experienced EPCOT unless you try the Beverly.

Sharon1026
06-25-2008, 08:21 PM

It reminds me of carbonated Angastora Bitters, if that helps.

Crow
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I like it for the reactions it gets.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-25-2008, 09:00 PM
DH likes the taste of Beverly. We have a drink up here in Ontario called Brio it is from Italy as well. It is a cola with a bitter taste to it. For DH Beverly is Brio that has a more bitter taste.

Marceline
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I just kind of giggle at all this bitter Beverly talk.....that's my MIL's name and she has been known to leave a bad taste in one's mouth too.

hehehehe:laughing:

Camping Mom
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Marceline, that made me laugh out loud!!!

It is so very bitter and I tried it only once years ago. Holy cow...I can't imagine sitting down to a glass of that stuff. Wow!!:sick:

Marilyn Michetti
06-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I imagine it's an acquired taste. I don't like it personally, but somebody must buy it. (Kind of like drinking Scotch Whiskey if you like Gin).:sick:

MNNHFLTX
06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I would have to say its similar to Pine-Sol.Eek!!! Don't tell me you've drank Pine Sol before??!! ;)

I like Beverly. It's very refreshing and I also enjoy confounding the people watching me and waiting for a negative reaction. :D

jrkcr
06-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I just kind of giggle at all this bitter Beverly talk.....that's my MIL's name and she has been known to leave a bad taste in one's mouth too.

hehehehe:laughing:

Oh, thats a good one!!! (My MIL is sitting right across my living room from me! :secret:)
:laughing:

Tigerinvestigator
06-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Being the father of three daughters and married to a beautiful Woman who probably owns stock in hairspray, many is the time I've walked into a cloud of hairspray with my mouth open:sick:. I guess the only difference in Beverly and hairspray is Beverly is actually made for human consumption........I'll take the hairspray with my food!!:thumbsup:

BandMan
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I had to laugh remembering our best friend's 12-year-old son telling every stranger in the place "Don't try this!", knowing perfectly well that that's the first thing they would do. :thedolls: The rest of us were in histerics watching the looks on their faces. :funny: :haha:

caryrae
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I would be happy to keep "sampling" it every visit because it means I am there (WDW) and any small (ok maybe not so small) discomfort to my taste buds are worth it.

Sammyjo
06-30-2008, 10:23 PM
:sick: :sick: :ack:

Crystal Palace
07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
There should be an "in-between" answer. I thought it was bad, but not as horrible as I expected it to be. I finished the whole cup of it.

Pop Centurion
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
The times I got my GF and Niece to try it I made sure they tried everything else first. Because I knew if they tasted the beverly first they would be afraid to try the good flavors.

If you ask me it tastes exactly like Campho Phenique. Those not familiar with it, it's a cold sore and fever blister medicine. When I was a kid I used to bite my gums and make them bleed whenever I was anxious or nervous. My step dad used to put that stuff in my mouth to heal plus keep me from doing it. When I tasted the beverly I immediately got flashbacks of that god awful stuff.

Mickey91
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Bile:sick::ack:

disney07
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I just always get a kick out off making newbies try it. Forget the fact that it is almost impossible to ask them to try it out with a straight face.:D

amd780
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
YUCK!!!!!! :sick:

However...it's always so funny to watch other people's reactions to it :D

jszczur5
07-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Ummm... in a word - YUCK!!
I had told my sons how great it was last summer, and go figure, my 11 year old actually liked it. He so wanted to bring home a small sample for his best friend.

Crystal Palace
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM

To me it tastes like EXTREMELY bitter grapefruit soda.