PDA

View Full Version : does WDW ever seem....boring?

Imagineer1981
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Just curious to people who go multiple times, say 2 times a year or more, if you skip shows/attractions because you have overdone them?

Scott C
06-18-2008, 01:39 PM
No, I don't skip ---- buuuuut if I go too often I feel like I am just going through the motions

Thanks
Scott C

Imagineer1981
06-18-2008, 01:50 PM
exactly..instead of just riding POTC because you couldn't wait to get on it, you ride it because its part of the routine

DNS
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
We skip some things and try to find new things to do. I wouldn't call it boring, but I would say sometimes it seems less exciting. When we start feeling that way, we skip a year or two. This time we had planned our trip for the Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving based on schedules from the past couple of years and now we find out not much will be done by then this year. I suspect this is not going to be a great trip because of that. If we could cancel flights, etc. we would. I'm actually finding myself dreading instead of looking forward to this trip. The disappointment is overwhelming. I imagine this will be our last trip for a long time.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-18-2008, 01:55 PM
To me, the beauty of Disney is that it's dynamic rather than static. To illustrate, compare Disney World, or even just the Magic Kingdom to another theme park, like Six Flags. The roller coasters are fun, but once you've done most of the rides as Six Flags, you've gotten all you'll get out of it.

Disney is a totally different, immersive experience. And to me, it's not just about the rides any more. I guess, to say what I'd say in another thread about what I've learned after visiting multiple times is that the rides aren't all there is to it. The imagineers go to great lengths to put tiny details into every little part of the parks, it would take a lot of time to really see and appreciate them all.

The day Disney gets boring to me is the day I'll quit going. But with all the parks, all the water parks, and all the resorts, I'm looking forward to a lifetime of not being bored! :)

Good question though!

Jimenyfan
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I would never call Disney boring but we go often enough that if we don't so something we figure we will just do it next time. We just take a much more relaxed vacation now. I still look as forward to my WDW vacations as I did when we first started going.

dnickels
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I'd echo Grim, living nearby I got an annual pass and probably make it over 1-2 times a week for a few hours in the evening (I'd rather be watching the fireworks than anything on TV). Doesn't matter that I ride POTC half the times I go, I still love the experience. Heck, I could do the Jungle Cruise spiel in my sleep.

It's everything, the sights, the sounds, the smells, watching the reactions of other people who are there for the first time and talking with them. It hasn't gotten old for me yet and I hope it never will. :thumbsup:

castlelady36
06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I can say with all honesty I never get tired of going!! I am always excited to ride my favorites even I have been on them 100 times!! Maybe if I was able to go more than 1 or 2 times a year I might...but I doubt it :mickey:

DisneyCouture
06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
The day Disney gets boring to me is the day I'll quit going. But with all the parks, all the water parks, and all the resorts, I'm looking forward to a lifetime of not being bored! :)

That is so true! We tend to skip over the rides that we have been on and wouldn't need to see again for a while. We take our time pacing things with our must sees.

wire0monkey
06-18-2008, 03:24 PM
You can get bored at WDW?!?

My favorite part is talking to other guests and CMs. I can't imagine all those people ever getting boring.

(If a weird lady starts talking to you next time you're there, it might be me!)

AdventurelandTikiGirl
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd echo Grim, living nearby I got an annual pass and probably make it over 1-2 times a week for a few hours in the evening (I'd rather be watching the fireworks than anything on TV).

You're so lucky! And I'm glad to hear that even though you live close and go often that it doesn't get boring for you.

I never get tired of Disney, but I do get tired AT Disney :sleepin::sheep:

Mousemates
06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Nope...tiring yes, but boring no.

Here's why...there is so much more to do than just ride the rides, what draws me back is the combination of multiple theme parks, numerous dining and recreational options, uniquely themed resorts, ease of transportation without driving, customer service, attention to detail, and some very wonderful memories/nostalgia? (for example my first trip was back in 73/74 with my grandparents...each time we go back to the MK there are certain things that evoke some very powerful memories of time spent with the grandparents that took me there...and now after multiple trips it evokes some nice family memoires for my little family as well.)

Each trip not only brings back old memories, but adds new meories to the equation.

EditReject
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
One way to add some variety to the trips to WDW is to change up the people you go with. I am doing my first solo trip in August and then I am going back the 1st week of Dec with the family. Two totally different experiences in my opinion. It is all what you make it out to be to avoid being boring or repetitious (which I could never imagine a trip to WDW to be).

Dragongirlx
06-19-2008, 04:07 AM
because we can only afford to go once a year we never get bored and the beauty of disney is there is always somethning new to do:mickey:

Tinkerfreak
06-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I was just asking my two DD's yesterday if they are bored with going to Disney because we have been 6 years in a row and they don't seem to get quite as excited about it as they used to. I was so thrilled to hear my oldest DD13 say "Mom who could ever get bored or tired at Disney World, it's Disney World". I was so glad to hear her say that. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who was excited to go and that I was being selfish by spending the money every year on that when they may not have wanted to go. I was glad to hear that they still enjoy it. It is a different experience for us now because they are older now and we can take advantage of EMH and do things a little different.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
exactly..instead of just riding POTC because you couldn't wait to get on it, you ride it because its part of the routine
:faint:

TIGGER17179
06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
People ask me all the time what do you see different.. isn't it boring yet? I go once or twice a year. I live in NC so it's about 8 hours or more depending on road work or traffic. One time it took us 14 hours!!!!
Anyway.. I always plan something different for us to do. There are so many things to do that it's easy to find something new each time. Like this time we are staying in a different hotel that has different stuff to do. I try to eat at different places etc... however there are some things that I will skip if I think the lines are too long. I wouldn't ever call it boring though.. shoot a bad day at disney is better than a good day at work...:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
YES, (there, I said it). At the end of the week, yes, it can border on boring. We're there - we waited all year to be there - but there isn't much else to do after seven days, and I'm anxious to get home.

When we've done everything, seen everything, and been everywhere, it's fun to sit on the porch on Main St. and just people watch, and know that we're actually in WDW. I wear out easily, and just have to STOP many times during the week. DH doesn't have any problem going over to Epcot and jibbitzing with CM's in Germany about the trains while I just rest in the American Pavilion where it's cool and quiet.

We're older, quieter, and easily satisfied with moderate stimulation. Up early, have fun, back to bed early. (You kids, don't let this scare you - we've ALWAYS been this way)! My point is, two weeks at WDW would probably kill us - we'd be sitting on the bench by the Partners statue, and only the pidgeons would know! Not a bad way to go tho' !:mickey:

KineGirl
06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Even when we go 2 or 3 times a year we never get the chance to stay long enough because of DHs work or DDs school to get bored. Our usual trip is 5 nights/6 days which just barely gives us enough time to get what we want to do in. Not to mention the fact that even if its just one attraction or one restaurant or one accomodation - every year Disney seems to put out something new for us to try.

We also do the little things the World has to offer. Last year when we went to TL, DD17 and I did the 'treasure hunt". During the Millenium Celebration they had an AP "quest" of sorts where you answered a ton of questions and when you showed your completed book you got to take one of those pictures where they place the characters in with you for free (for each person in your party to boot). I collect the EC's (those machines are everywhere!!), we're avid pin hunters (I only trade with CMs), foodies, culture lovers (I love talking to the CMs in WS and everywhere else in the World).

Somehow Disney always keeps it interesting.

My Mom works the desk at one of the resorts and she tells me though that is at least one family a week who will have only been there 3 days and go "Whats to do now??" She says she always feels like asking them if theyve been to WDW!? Some ppl just dont get "it"

Goes4FastPass
06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I think I have selective amnesia about WDW. I keep going back then I find myself knowing what's going to happen minute by minute in each attraction. At least the drops an ToT and animals at KilSaf offer some surprises!

I guess frequent Mousers like me need to spend less time doing "E Ticket" attractions.

bytheway, As someone who goes to WDW and hits every park and DTD and PI and BB and/or TL at least once a year, let me say I think anyone who visits WDW 6 times without considering the world class attractions at Universal Orlando and Seaworld is (1) Disney brainwashed or (2) craves familiarity "We always eat at Le Cellier on Night 2" or (3) both.

PS: I don't know how many times I would have to see
Wishes
Spectro Magic (or MnSt Elect Parade)
Illuminations
before I found them boring.
100? 200?

bruin1344
06-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I usually skip most of fantasyland, shows, and parades especially if its geared toward young children

Marker
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think I could ever apply the word boring to my WDW experiences.

Yes, there are rides and attractions that I like better than others, and therefore are more likely to skip some rather than others. Or I may skip something one trip because I know I enjoyed it "last time". That doesn't equate to boredom, it's just a part of the reality that on any given trip there's no way to possibly see and do everything.

Granted, at the end of a stay, I may not be as "hungry" some the various rides and attractions, but I don't really see that as boredom, I've just filled my need at that particular time. After all, a great steak is a wonderful thing too, but there comes a time at the end of the meal, when for the time being, you're full. But it's not long at all until your appetite is ready for another.

If I ever do truly get bored, then I've probably been there too often and it's time to allow more time before my next visit. However, so far, that's never happened.

Red Randal
06-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Let me say first that I would go to Disney every day if I had the chance.

Now, realistically, I don't feel any sense of urgency to go back for awhile. My last few trips were based around new "must do" stuff for me (Soarin, Everest, Food & Wine Festival, Keys to the Kingdom.) Now, though, there is nothing that makes me feel like I HAVE to go see it soon. I had assumed that the refurbed SSE would be something that would but the reviews were so dreadful that I don't mind skipping it for a few years. Same goes for Toy Story Mania. It sounds cool but not like something I want to base a trip around.

Plus there are other places that I would really like to see. I went to Vegas for the first time in May and am hoping to do either a cruise or all inclusive resort in the Caribbean in the next year or two, so Disney is going on the back burner.

That having been said, I'm never happier than when strolling down Main Street, taking pictures in Epcot, or hanging out at a meticulously themed resort. So sure, there are things that get "boring" and I just skip them but they are far outweighed by the things I know and love so much about Walt Disney World.

Plus I never have been to MVMCP or the Candlelight Processional and I'd love to take my mom while she's still healthy enough to go, so this or next December may very well see me at Disney anyway. Yeah, I know, kind of makes the last three paragraphs pointless...but I'm like that sometimes. :mickey:

Imagineer1981
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM
I personally like to sit back and do other, "non-tourist" things, like hang out at Boardwalk or go relax at a pool or whatever. Just because I am at Disney doesn't mean I need to be at the parks

GrmGrninGost
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
No, never boring. We only skip things when short on time.

Von-Drake
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Disney boring!??? sorry but to my family we would just label that Crazy Talk LOL I do not think we ride any ride because of routine, but we do have some traditions we do:
- Downtown Disney is the last stop before the boring drive home
- Usually try to make it to Casey's Corner at least once during our visit
- etc...

tink2006
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Our family unit (Both DH and myself had been several times before we met) has been going to WDW every year for several years. Our first family trip was when DS15 was two. During this first trip I realized that we would be back (never would have thought every year) so if DS was not able to do a ride we would skip it - we will get it next time. In retrospect, this has allowed us to see the World from our child's eyes. Every year has been a different experience. I remember when we spent most of our time in ToonTown and the MK in general. It was DS favorite park. We have wonderful memories! We looked forward to when he was tall/brave enough to do TOT, etc. Now our favorite park is Epcot. We enjoy the entertainment, food, countries etc. We can almost mark every developmental stage with a memory from the World :cloud9:
Now we get to enjoy the World in the company of a wonderful young man.

So....never boring!

alliekat
06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
For me and my family it is always a thrill. I don't think I would ever have enough time to see it all. For example I have never done the water parks or really investigated the west side of Downtown Disney. I am lucky enough to be going back in a few weeks and we were recently discussing what we may skip. Then last night there was a Disney show on Travel channel and I looked at my husband and said I changed my mind about skipping stuff, I need to do it all!
I truly can't get enough :clappy:
Kathleen

Chernabog1326
06-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I never get bored when I visit. We don't feel "rushed" to do everything so we can take our time and try things that we haven't had the time for on past trips. The more you visit, the less stressful your trip becomes.:mickey:

JasonH
06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
:jaw: WDW boring????

SACRILEGE! FOR SHAME!

May the Tiki Room Gods in MK have mercy on your soul! :tikki::thedolls::tikki:

Otherwise, personally I have gone more than once in a year's time and I can never find it boring. I can always find something new to do and even riding attractions more than once does not bother me. Just an example, I've ridden Star Tours 30 times in a row in 6 hours during the first Star Wars Weekends and I never got tired of it then, don't get tired of it now. :thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say "boring" but, it can start to feel routine. If you know what I mean.
We still love to go and have a great time when we are there but, there are times when we look at each other and say it feels like we were just there.
There are attractions we skip just because we have done them so many times. But, those are few and far between. The Tiki room is one I can name from the top of my head.
The bus rides to and from the parks are very routine. I used to get a little excited to be on them, weird as that sounds, now I just dread them, even though I know where they are bringing me.
Since we joined DVC the resorts are a real bonus to us. We love the feel of them and checking each of them out. Since we only joined in January of last year, that is a very new feeling to our vacations.
We just started to attend the parties so, those are fun for us.
We are skipping September this year for the first time since 1996 and are taking the kids in December. My husband and kids have never been at Xmas so, I think the totally different feel to the parks and resorts will be great for them!!

Long story short, we love WDW and everything about it. But, I would not be honest if I said it felt totally new and fresh every trip.:blush::secret:

pdrlkr
06-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Never!

disneymom2000
06-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't know if I would say boring but it is less exciting. I try to go with someone who has never been before each time I go. That helps me look at the different rides/shows like a first time visitor but with enough experience to know what to expect or look for. I really don't like to go more than once a year, but sometimes it is necessary.

GoBlueLacheta
06-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I dunno about boring but I found. Once a year is pretty perfect for me. I would do it more if I could afford it ha :mickey:.

But some of the rides and attractions don't have a great "re ride or experience " value. But they're so many that do. I think I could ride Space and Spalsh Mountain all day. It's all about finding new things and experiences and it's the only place I think in the world that I could travel to so often and never get tired of and never want to stop

Young@Heart
06-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Never boring to us! I can't imagine ever feeling bored at WDW. :cloud9:

katzctkpt
06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Disney is not boring in any way shape or form.
We've been since 2004 and still haven't done or seen all. We are going in Dec and that's gonna be even more stuff to do and see. Can't wait.

DisneyorBust
06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Never boring....always different.
We go on an annual trip (normally) and there is always something new to experience, whether it is an attraction, show or restaurant.
There are so many things to enjoy outside of the theme parks. DTD, the water parks, world class golf courses etc. that will keep us coming back. A week long trip is just not enought time!:D

BigRedDad
06-23-2008, 11:15 AM
When I lived in Boca, it got old going all the time. We would go for a week or so in September with the family. Then the other day trips or weekend trips with school and other organizations. It did get boring doing the same thing over and over and over. You have to realize that it was only MK and River Country back then. BTMRR, SM did not exist. It was SM, 20k Leagues, Pirates, and Jungle Cruise only. So, it did get a little boring. But, when we snuck into the Contemporary to play in the arcade, that made it fun.

Stu29573
06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Absolutely never boring...Tiring, yes, but that's part of the fun! :mickey:

alilprincessmom99
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I would not call it boring, but occasionally it feels routine. We go several times a year for short trips, so we don't feel like we need to do "everything" every time we go.

Disney_Barbie
06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
We purchased our APs last sept & have so-far spent 24 days in the world (3 trips, one of which was off prop, we did go do disney every day cause we had the APs, but we did some off-property stuff too) And we have one last 12 day trip planned before they exipre. So that will bring us to a grand total of 36 days over a 12 month span (wow, didn't realize that I spent over a month of my year in disney, cool!)
And we're not sick of it yet. Sure every trip is different, the first trip this year was short (and it had been over a year since we had been), we were running around like maniacs trying to cram in as much as we could.
The most recent was @ a Delux and (although we we went to the parks at least for a bit everyday) we did a lot of relaxing @ the resort. We made a list of things we haven't done over those past 3 trips cause we want to do them on the upcoming, and there were suprisingly like 3 or 4 things in every park (stuff like the hall of presidents, good rides/shows, but hardly E-ticket things!)
I think that's the beauty of WDW, there is so much to do, see, I feel like I could LIVE there and never get sick of it

amd780
06-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Our last 2 visits were within a year of each other. Disney definitely was not boring to me, but for DH some of the magic was gone. He said it wasn't as exciting because we were just there. I disagree wholeheartedly! :D

Mr. Incredible
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
After 1-2 trips a year for the past 8 years, some parts of WDW are getting a bit too predictable for me.

- It'd be OK if I missed the Muppets for the next 6 years or so. :)
- If I never rode Dumbo (or its kindred rides) again it would be OK with me
- Mickey's Philharmagic: I know it; I love; I know it too well to love it as much any more
- DW tells me I quote the train speil in my sleep. ("We're comin' up on Mickey's Toontown Fair...!") :D

Meh -that's all I can think of for now. All the other parts of WDW (even stuff like CBJ, Tiki room, etc) hold my attention as much as ever.

Still, I couldn't say I was bored at all -just a tad too familiar with some parts.

NewmanFamily6
06-28-2008, 06:44 PM
We only average about one trip a year. For me I get excited every time as do the children. My DH isn't as big a fan so it probably gets old for him. He however puts a smile on his face because he knows it makes me so happy:cloud9: