PDA

View Full Version : I almost got shot!!!!

J9
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I probably wasn't as close as I believe I was, but it still has me pretty freaked out!

Yesterday when my bar review class let out in the afternoon, I was heading toward the law school bookstore to get an iced coffee, when I realized that it was super crowded because a high school graduation had just let out. (My school rents their stadium to high schools for their ceremonies and it's right next door to the bookstore).

I was pretty close to the store entrance, when I thought "I don't need an iced coffee - it's not good for my diet and I'd rather just get home" so I turned around and started walking the opposite way toward the garage. As i'm walking, I hear sirens coming like crazy. I thought it was just maybe one of the graduation people fainted or had a heart attack or something, said a quick prayer and kept on walking.

This morning when I was watching the news, it turns out that some sort of fight broke out in front of the law school bookstore and one of the graduates was shot.

Needless to say, I was so freaked out that I had to force myself to go back to school today. I keep thinking it could have been me if I hadn't tried to stick to my diet...

PS - the kid is going to be ok and they haven't caught a suspect yet.

DisneyDog
06-18-2008, 01:46 PM
OMG, I was listening to KYW (local news radio) about that all morning. That is just so awful! That poor kid. Not 5 minutes after his high school graduation. I agree with the mayor -- Philadelphia needs to have its own gun laws. The situation is completely out of control. I'm glad to hear that you are unharmed, though I'm sure pretty freaked out.

Flower
06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Glad to hear that you are okay, and that the kid is going to be okay too.

Unfortunately, there are just too many people out there who should not have guns. I am all for guns when they are used properly, but the gang violence is out of control all over.

RedSoxFan
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow -- that is scary. Glad you are OK.

jrkcr
06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Cool! You must have a Diet Angel! Looks after your safety AND your waist line! :angel:

Or maybe Jiminy Cricket was whispering in your ear! :whisper: Always let your conscience be your guide!!

Seriously, I'm really glad you are OK...and it is kinda weird that you changed you mind at the last minute. Makes you stop and wonder-random, fate, luck, chance, predestination....??

PirateLover
06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Oh wow, that is on the front page of the Daily News today. This is unbelievable... I'm glad you (and the victim!) are ok!

faline
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Goodness! Glad you didn't get caught up in that incident! It's very good to hear that the person who did get shot will be okay!

BronxTigger
06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
That kind of thing does freak you out.

Your story reminds me of something similar that happened to me a few years ago in Denver. I was going to stop into the children's library at the big library downtown, but decided I didn't want to pay for parking. I ended up not going. Later that day, I saw on the news that a lady the same age as me had been stabbed in that children's library. She was fine, but it's scary when you realize you could have been a victim.

I'm glad you are okay. :pixie: for the victim's recovery!

pink
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow, that is scary! I'm glad you are ok and I hope the other person will be ok too. Sometimes little things happen like that or things happen that annoy us and then you realize that it was just a little obstacle put in our way for the better. Strange how things work out like that. :mickey:

Lacy
06-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Wow, definitely scary! Strange how something so small as deciding to stick to your diet changes a situation completely. Glad that the kid is okay, but it always horrible to hear about things like this.

Kairi_7378
06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
That is scary. My brother just graduated from Temple in May and he still works at the library and bookstore while he's looking for a full time job!

I'm so glad that your diet angel was looking out for you! And I am very happy to hear that the victim is going to be okay. What a way to start the summer :(

SBETigg
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
I guess you really dodged a bullet. :blush:

I'm glad that you missed a bad situation and it's good to hear that the shooting victim will be okay, too. How scary.

DisneyDog
06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Ugh! Sherri, that's an awful pun! Sounds like something I would say:blush:

Police are changing their story. They originally said the teen that was shot was not the intended target. But, now they are saying that he WAS the target...and the family is not cooperating with the police.

diz_girl
06-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm glad that you're OK. Incidents like that just make you ponder the Universe a little more deeply.

I had a similar incident, where I was off from work and I was planning to go the the pet food store. I literally had my purse on my shoulder and my keys in my hand when I just decided that I just didn't feel like going out yet. About 15 minutes later I felt the air pressure change in the house, like someone opening the door. My husband was home too, so I thought that it was him, but he told me that it wasn't and he thought that it was me. About an hour later, as I was driving to the pet food store I couldn't get near it because there were police and fire vehicles near it. It turns out that the pet food store EXPLODED and the air pressure change that I felt at my house was the concussion from the blast two miles away. It turned out that some construction workers outside the building ruptured the gas line. Customers were evacuated from the store before the explosion, but a few construction workers and at least one store employee were seriously injured. I wouldn't have been in the store when the explosion happened, but nevertheless it was a little unnerving.

Jasper
06-19-2008, 05:43 PM
This is exactly why I say it is SOOOOO very important to make sure your loved ones know how much you love them and that you give them hugs as often as possible. Glad you weren't involved and glad the victim is going to be OK.

J9
06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm much better now, but I'm not going to lie....I have avoided going to the bookstore and walking down that particular sidestreet. Although....I'm going through serious iced coffee withdrawal now...

It's still weird to think about.

I didn't know they changed the story now - it's a shame for that kid!!!

pdrlkr
06-20-2008, 09:24 PM
:eek:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Yikes, it's a good thing someone was watching out for you. They say everything happens for a reason. And there was a reason you didn't go get the coffee. I'm glad to hear the kid that got hurt is going to be ok.

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Yikes is right. I'm glad that you had that guardian angel sitting on your shoulder.

drummerboy
06-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Studying for the bar exam is scary enough without adding something like that! Glad it turned out well for you and sort-of-well for the kid.