PDA

View Full Version : New to Raleigh, NC area

amd780
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
DH and I just moved to the Raleigh area from CT. It's only our second week here, and we're just getting acclimated. Does anyone have any tips/points of interest/etc. that might help? Thanks! :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Hello,
We live in Greensboro, NC, but I have travelled to Raleigh several times for work. You have some fabulous museums in Raleigh, and one of the only two Disney Stores left in NC over in Crabtree Valley Mall. Welcome to the state and our freaky weather, but you will get usued to it. :thumbsup:

KineGirl
06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
:welcome: to our beautiful state of North Carolina!

I dont know that much about Raleigh but I would encourage you to take a drive out to one of the states beautiful beaches. The NC coastline is some of the prettiest & most unique on the east coast. :mickey:

Melanie
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
NC born and bred! Hope you enjoy the Raleigh area. Lots of opportunity!

and one of the only two Disney Stores left in NC over in Crabtree Valley Mall.

Wow, really? Is the one in Winston-Salem still open?

drummerboy
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Welcome to NC. DW and her brood live in the Raleigh area. There's quite a bit to do there and I'm sure you'll find out about it all soon enough. DW and I live down on the coast.

sillyolbear
06-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, really? Is the one in Winston-Salem still open?

Nope. It closed just in the past couple of weeks.

Melanie
06-20-2008, 05:27 PM
:offtopic: :nono:

Apologies to the OP! :blush:

Nope. It closed just in the past couple of weeks.

Really! What a shame. So what's left? The one at Crabtree and one in Charlotte or Greensboro maybe?

princessjojo
06-20-2008, 05:41 PM
We live about 40 minutes from Raleigh and I love it there. It's gotten really busy over the last few years though. The new downtown area is turning out nice, but there's still not a lot to do down there at night. Schools are really good, but there's a lot of upheaval about rezoning every year and year round-vs-traditional calendars. Homes are beautiful but can get really pricey in the right neighborhood. We go there to shop a lot, but tend to stay more around the Brier Creek (Raleigh/Durham) area or North Raleigh.

Mostly it depends on which area of Raleigh you're in. If I weren't so tied to our farm-type living, I'd move there in a minute. Downtown there's the Marbles museum-more for children, but it's facinating for adults as well.

There's really a lot to do for many lifestyles. That whole area is consitantly ranked as one of the Best in the Nation for various lists (jobs, eduation, health care, to raise children, ect.) It's surely slower than CT, but very relaxed. Less of the 4 seasons, but there are elements of all 4 through the year. And with a 2hr drive to the beach or 3-4 to the mountains, it's a great location. Best of all, it's about 8-9hr drive to WDW and a 20-30min drive to RDU to catch your flight.

Hope you like it as much as I do. As with anywhere, there's good and bad, but it can all be what you make of it.