PDA

View Full Version : transportation to hotel..

mom2morgan
06-17-2008, 04:00 PM
I've been going round and round - what do you think? I posted earlier worrying about DME and timing, since our flight arrives quite late (9:05). I got some excellent advice on here to either grab my own luggage, or to tell the resort to hold it until the next morning, so they aren't delivering it at 1:00 am. But I'm still thinking about the fact that if I take DME I'll probably not even get to my hotel until 10:00 or 10:30, then I still have to check in.... So now I'm wondering if I should just book a towncar to bring me in from the airport?? It galls me on the one hand to pay money for something that is included in my package.... BUT do you think that is better than having to wait around for others (the shuttle, then my baggage). Do you think it would be worth the extra $$??

teambricker04
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
First question... Are you bringing small children? Second question, Where are you staying?

On our last trip we got in after 9pm. We got right onto the DME, but there were FOUR hotel stops before ours. We have two small ones (3yo and 11mo at the time) and they were NOT happy. None of the small kids on the bus were happy. They all were pretty much crying. Yuck.

We had extended our trip by a day. We couldn't get the BC that night so we stayed at an AS. BLUCK. Normally we have okay service, but they only have a few staff on at that time (DME is the same way at that time of the day). Our key to our room didn't work (the door was broken) and they kept saying that someone would come out to fix it. Well, after the bus ride, waiting for our room, going up and talking with a manager, and FINALLY getting in our room it was after midnight. By the time our bags arrived it was after 1 in the morning. After this mayham, we have decided that we are taking a towncar and getting our own luggage next time we come in late.

Last November we stayed at FW. DS and I rode DME and our little one and DH rented a car. We got there 5 minutes ahead of him. Soooo, IMHO, you will save a lot of time if you take a towncar. If you don't have little people and aren't staying at a value, you may just be fine taking DME, but I don't recommend it with small kids.

mom2morgan
06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
My youngest is 9, so that is not a huge deal. We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I know the kids could cope, but I'm thinking that having a private car might just take the stress off and let us get on with our vacation! Sounds like you had a crummy experience - yikes! My big disappoint last time I went was due to the airline - we were planning on half a day in the park to start, but our flight was delayed more than 3 hours, and we ended up getting in to the resort past 7.

KarenP
06-17-2008, 05:55 PM
I always hire a towncar. It really is a personal decision but It is worth the extra money to me.

Good luck whatever you decide!

disneymom15
06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I would save the money and use DME. Just pack a carry on with what you'll need for the night and have your luggage delivered in the morning.

Pirate Granny
06-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Our flight arrived at 11:30pm...we picked up our luggage and went over the the DME...no problems, did wait 20 minutes to leave the terminal...we were the first stop...Pop...and check in went smooth...we were in our room in bed by 12:45am...and since we were adults...it really didn't matter to us...I would say it would depend on if you are travelling with children.
:pirate:

Piglet822
06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
One thing to keep in mind if you hire a towncar service, you will need to claim your luggage so you're not really saving any time.
If you use DME and let Disney take care of the luggage you bypass luggage claim and go right to DME. If you hire a towncar service you need to take the time to claim your bags, then go downstairs and wait for your car.
I second disneymom15's suggestion of a carry on bag for your overnight essentials and have DME delilver your bags in the morning.
If you do decide on using a car service I recommend checking out Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/). They are a sponsor of this site and by using them, you help INTERCOT as well :thumbsup:

CleveRocks
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm still thinking about the fact that if I take DME I'll probably not even get to my hotel until 10:00 or 10:30, then I still have to check in.... So now I'm wondering if I should just book a towncar to bring me in from the airport?? It galls me on the one hand to pay money for something that is included in my package.... BUT do you think that is better than having to wait around for others (the shuttle, then my baggage). Do you think it would be worth the extra $$??I'll echo what Piglet said ... You won't get to your resort any faster with a car service (which includes waiting at baggage claim, then waiting for the driver to leave the terminal and walk to the "bullpen" to pick up the car and then drive it to the outside of the baggage claim area, easily a 10-minute process in itself) than you will with DME (if you let DME handle your checked bags).

Assuming a car service will be faster is not an accurate assumption.

And let's say you were "racing" another family on your flight to see who'll arrive at the resort faster. Let's say if you use a car service you happen to get there 10 minutes faster than the DME family ... will that 10 minutes be worth $130 to you???

teambricker04
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
My youngest is 9, so that is not a huge deal. We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I know the kids could cope, but I'm thinking that having a private car might just take the stress off and let us get on with our vacation! Sounds like you had a crummy experience - yikes! My big disappoint last time I went was due to the airline - we were planning on half a day in the park to start, but our flight was delayed more than 3 hours, and we ended up getting in to the resort past 7.

Don't you hate airline delays?!?! Blah! They put a hitch in the getalong, don't they!?!?!

I think since your daughter is 9, you should take the DME. Just do as others suggested and pack your overnight things in a carry on. I don't think the issue is really getting their fast, but after a long flight not feeling in control late is always hard.

mom2morgan
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks all - sorry for the back and forth "thinking out loud". I was picturing sitting on the DME bus for an hour and then stopping at umpteen resorts, but it doesn't sound too bad. And maybe I can do something fun with they money I save ;-) Kinda wanted to try a romantic carriage ride at Port Orleans...,