PDA

View Full Version : A Few Cabin Questions

ILive4Disney
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
We have stayed at Disney too many times to count but next week will be our first time at FW. I am staying with a friend and her two children along with my two children. Here are my questions....we probably can't swing the cost of the golf cart...can I drive my car easily around the resort instead of using the internal bus? Are there places to park near the Marina? I know the front entrance where buses are has parking as I have seen it when I have been on a but from WL..I am assuming I can park there and catch the park buses from there? Also, I know there is housekeeping...do they leave plenty of towels, etc for pool use? Do we need to call housekeeping when we need more or are they at the pool? Do they provide the basic toiletries like the other resorts? Hairdryer? And one final question.....is the area where you would do your hair OUTSIDE of the shower area? (My friend takes forever to do her hair :secret: and I wonder if I need to take the kids to the comfort station to avoid lengthy mornings??) Thanks for your help....I am not used to being so "in the dark" about a Disney stay! :mickey:

ibrowse17
06-17-2008, 03:36 PM
You can not drive inside the campground unless you are coming or going. As such, there are few spaces except the front main parking area. Since I have never stayed in the cabins, I am not sure about what the they provide as far as basic toiletries, but would guess it compares to most other resorts. FW is a great place, and you should enjoy it:thumbsup:

ILive4Disney
06-17-2008, 04:00 PM
ooohh ouch! I think we will be doing A LOT of walking! Can I drive my car to the cabin? If not, how do I get my luggage there? Ugh...I feel clueless!

Jimenyfan
06-17-2008, 04:26 PM
You can drive to the cabins and each has a small driveway to park your vehicle.

faline
06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
You can certainly drive your vehicle to your cabin and leave it there. Other than the cabin parking spot and the Outpost parking area, there really are no other places for you to park a vehicle for any length of time. It would also be too far to walk from your cabin to Pioneer Hall and many other places you might like to go. You might consider asking for a cabin as close to possible to the quiet pool. We've stayed in that area and it was nice to just walk down to that area.

As I remember the layout of the cabins, there is a full bathroom as well as another sink area in the bedroom.

I do believe they leave the same toiletries as at any other resort.

Depending on what park you are heading to, you may need to be at one end of the campground or the other to catch the park bus.

KylesMom
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
ILive4Disney, at least you are asking the right questions now so you aren't surprised when you arrive at FtW (like we were :D ).

Once you check in, you'll be directed which loop your cabin is in. There is one parking spot per cabin right out front. They are nicely secluded and have a wonderful outdoorsy ambiance.

As mentioned, that's about the extend that you can drive. There are a very few spots in front of the outpost (store), but that is it - and there is a very short time limit for you to park there & pick up what you need. Oftentimes we would find that we'd have to wait to park until someone pulled out. You are pretty much dependent on the interior bus system to get to the marina. With the June heat, walking will be somewhat prohibitive, especially from your cabin to the boat dock.

There is a bus stop outside of each loop to get you to Pioneer Hall (marina), outpost and front of the resort. You'll really need to utilize the interior bus system to get where you want to go. I do believe you can take your car to the front of the resort & park there during the day, but we always drove to each park except MK (boat) so I'm not positive.

As Faline mentioned, although the bathroom is a standard one-room bath, there is an additional sink and mirror in the bedroom so that your friend can do her hair. The one thing I do not remember is them providing toiletries - this may have changed, however, since we were guests here several years ago. There is a hair dryer, and you can just call Mousekeeping if you need more towels for showering. The pool towels are much "cheaper" and should be provided in the pool area.

Whether you have a golf cart or not, I'm certain you will have a wonderful time!:mickey:

princessesmom
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
We last stayed at FW 2 years ago. There is a counter area with a mirror in the bedroom, but no sink. It should work for doing your hair. You will be provided with all the normal toiletries and plenty of towels. The bathroom has a large vanity with storage for at least 10 towels underneath.

We have never had a car at FW or a golf cart. We find that the internal bus system works well. The first two times we stayed, we requested a cabin near the smaller pool, there is also a laundry facility there. That worked out very well. The internal buses will take you to either Pioneer Hall or the front entrance to pick up a boat or bus to the various parks.

If you have a car, you can drive it directly to your cabin. If you don't have a car, everyone in your party and your luggage will be driven to your cabin from the front entrance after you check in. And they will pick you up on your departure day.

We love it there. So much nicer than staying in a typical hotel room.

ILive4Disney
06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Ok...thanks for all the info...I am feeling a bit better about not having the golf cart (not sure the kids will feel the same). As far as the internal bus goes...did I read somewhere that there is only one internal bus and it takes 45 minutes to run its full route so if you just miss it...you may have to wait 45 minutes? Or are there more than one running at a time? That is really the only thing I wanted to avoid...those long bus waits can be deadly...esp with the heat :sick: .

busterthebronco
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
the buses run all the time and 45 minutes sounds longer than i would think but i have to say we pony up and get the cart.
walking is not bad.
we walk from the front to the back all the time just to walk off dinner!
relax, it will be great!
sometimes half the fun is figuring things out!

CU Tiger
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
:thumbsup:We LOVE the cabins!!:number1: Mouse keeping comes every day and provides you plenty of toiletries and towels. There is a mirror and hair dryer in the back room, but no sink. If there is anything you need, we found out that mouse keeping will bring it to you if it should be supplied by them. If you need anything other than what they supply, you can go to one of the stores and get basic necessities, but it is a little costly. If possible, buy all your basic needs and food before you get into FW. You will love the cabins and it will probably become your new place to stay like it has become for us! :mickey:

NJ Camper
06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Unless thing have changed alot since we were there in Nov buses didn't take even close to 45 minutes they seemed more like if you just missed one even that another bus would be there in about 10-15 minutes but i believe it also depends on time of year when its busy there is more buses and wait time is shorter when it slows down so do the buses but 45 minutes is ridiculous who would wait that longyou could walk there in less time

NJ Camper
06-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree with the cart thing if you can afford it it makes getting to the front gate or down to the back to get the outside buses alot easier but if not its not that bad we have just started getting the cart over the last few years but we see buses when we are traveling in the cart between places and i know it doesn't take us 45 minutes to get to either end to catch the outside buses so 45 minutes can't be right unless they have changed things alot

maxrebo77
07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Make sure you insist on a CABIN and not a home.

SFTrny
07-18-2008, 06:20 PM
What is a home? I've only seen cabins and campsites.

LittleSpirit02
07-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Q: Can I drive my car easily around the resort instead of using the internal bus? Are there places to park near the Marina?
A: We've rented a car in the past and I believe you would have to walk to the marina or take the bus to the marina. You can obviously use the car to drive to the parks, however.

Q: I know the front entrance where buses are has parking as I have seen it when I have been on a but from WL..I am assuming I can park there and catch the park buses from there?
A: Not completely sure about this. There is parking area near where you check in, and then each cabin has its own driveway to park. In addition, there are little bus stops throughout the campground where you can catch one. Make sure you check which bus you're getting on though. ;)

Q: Dthey leave plenty of towels, etc for pool use? Do we need to call housekeeping when we need more or are they at the pool?
A: Yeah, I remember one trip that my mom was pleased to see they left plenty of towels. You can always request more if you need them.

Q: Do they provide the basic toiletries like the other resorts? Hairdryer?
A: You'll get the same toiletries as in the hotels (the little mickey shampoos and such). I believe the hairdryer in in the bedroom next to the vanity.

Q: Is the area where you would do your hair OUTSIDE of the shower area?
A: Yes, there is a vanity in the bedroom which has a mirror and I believe is where the hairdryer is. To be on the safe side, maybe bring an extra hairdryer to ensure she can use the vanity. :)

The cabins are my absolute favorite place to stay. Enjoy!

Not2Loud
07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
If you can get it, ask for Cabin loop 2100. It sits in the middle of Ft. Wilderness and you can walk, about 10 minutes to the marina. There is also a loop right in front, and its the last stop typically from the front to the marina.

Just my 2 cents. Have a great time!