PDA

View Full Version : Bad back and rides

disneydrmr
06-17-2008, 08:40 AM
MY dh has a bad back due to a car accident. I know there are 'obvious' rides he will avoid (Dinosaur, ToT, RnRC).. but a few of the coasters I"m thinking may be ok for him.. like Big Thunder Mountain, and maybe even Everest.. has anyone here ridden any of the 'fast' rides with a bad back and found them to be ok? I just don't want my dh to miss out on something that he really didn't have to miss out on...

Mickey'sGirl
06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Di -- I would absolutely avoid Thunder Mountain. It's a killer. I think that he could be all right with EE if he is prepared for going backwards and braces himself some, but I would personally avoid it too.

Convince him that Small World is a thrill ride! ;)

tmosier
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
RnRC is a very smooth coaster, unlike any of the coasters at MK. My sister has a bad back and enjoys this coaster very much.

In my opinion, ToT is also smooth. There's a little jerk as your car stops plunging, but it's definitely not as jerky as MK coasters.

If I had a bad back, I'd consider going on those two rather than on a MK coaster.

MickeyMousse
06-17-2008, 09:42 AM
My back is bad and recently I was diagnosed with back spasms along my tailbone.
Last trip, I did EE and was fine. I tried to avoid the bumpy/jerky rides, although I did ok on Star Tours.
I chose to skip Tower of Terror, Big Thunder Mountain and Dinosaur.
My problem really ended up being the walking. My back couldn't handle our normal pace, so we slowed things down a bit.

BBrinkman
06-17-2008, 09:46 AM
I have suffered from back problems due to a car accident for the past 5 years but have done fine the last two trips to WDW. Although I'm not a propent of pain killers, taking something along with a muscle relaxer has helped. Two trips ago, my back went out in the park...I went back to the room, took some meds, rested, and was back in business that evening. Remember, if you can tough it out, don't miss out on anything while you're there!

Tinksalot
06-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I also suffer from a bad back....:(
I usually ride the coasters at the end of the day, that way I'm not suffering the whole day long with back pain. When I get back to the hotel I alternate ice and heat on my back which seems to help. I really don't like taking pain medication. :coaster:

jrkcr
06-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I would NOT try Big Thunder Mtn!!
I did that once with a bad back ....and OUCH!! Very jerky ride. I avoided that ride for about 10 years before I tried again, and now I love it!

Sorry you're having back problems! :pixie:

Septbride2002
06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I would avoid Space Mountain - that ride seems to kill my back and I wouldn't say I have a bad back! :)

~Amanda

Scott C
06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Just to change things up a bit -- my back loves the descent on Spaceship earth -- just something about the positioning -- I find it very soothing

Thanks
Scott C

Mousemates
06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
To me the very worst ride for a bad back/neck in all of WDW is the Prime Evil Whirl in AK...the reverse rotations are abrupt and will jar your back...number two would be space mountain (thou the new DL version is smooth)...#3 BTM....by the way to me jarring always seems worst when you are in the last couple cars of a coaster.

alilprincessmom99
06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I would definately avoid Big Thunder Mountain, it is really jerky and rough. I would also avoid Primevil Whirl, as it tends to be really rough as well.

DisneyDog
06-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a bad back, also due to a car accident. You may want to avoid the ride in the Mexico Pavillion. The boat seats are at a strange angle and when I sat down my back went crazy. Also, there is a strange stop at the end -- the boats aren't timed properly and your boat always slams into the boat in front of you.

Imagineer1981
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
avoid Primeval Whirl!!!!

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
DD1 (age 34) had back surgery and avoided only
. . . ToT
. . . RnRC
. . . Primeval Whirl
. . . Dinosaur
. . . Star Tours
. . . Everest
. . . Big Thunder Mtn

NOTE: She also used her "back excuse" to avoid IASW, but I think that was just too convenient.

NOTE2: I am not a doctor and do not give advice. I am simply telling you what my daughter, in her circumstances, was able to ride and not ride. Officially, I advise you to check with your doc and read the warning signs at each ride.

Polynesian Dweller
06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Looks like lots of us at one time or another have had bad backs and been there. TOT will not jolt the back in forward/backward way that roller coasters will. It will put mild compression on the spine but it is mild. It is not a jolting ride like RNRC or EE that I did avoid. I would suggest see how the back handles things and perhaps you could ride it first to see what its really like. It would be a shame to miss it.

Taja
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
My BFF had issues with Kilamanjaro Safari in AK. It jerks a bit too much for her back and neck.

You almost have to analyze what a ride does in comparison to your injury. I also have back issues, but they are different than hers. Safari isn't an issue for me at all.

PirateLover
06-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Talk to your doctor. I think it also depends on what type of back issue you have. For instance, my boyfriend had back surgery (a disectomy to remove portions of two bulging discs) in september. We went to WDW in December. The only ride his surgeon told him he really should avoid was Tower of Terror. She said the sudden dropping and rising are some of the worst stress you could put your spine through. I myself have mild back issues, and after a long day at the park my back feels a little funny on this ride (but it's still my fave).

I believe he rode all of the coasters (except E:E) once. For BTMRR I would recommend sitting in the front car early in the day. This is what he did and the difference between the front and the back was really evident. The back at night is a wild experience you definitely want to avoid.

PetefromRI
06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Space Mountain seems to be the only thing that bothers my back.Our last trip I was hurting the whole trip until I went in R&R Coaster,after that I seemed fine.I don't know why but it seemed to take pressure off my back.I'm still doing well and that was 4 weeks ago.

CU Tiger
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Avoid BTMRR and Primeval Whirl!

mainemajor
06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Like many others here, I would not ride Big Thunder. Another I would avoid is Primevel whirl at AK. This was the most jerky ride at DW. Rockin Rollarcoaster is very smooth, as is Everest.

RockinRollerMom
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Like other posters I too have back problems and have had 2 surgeries. I agree with the posters that say avoid BTM. It is the worst. Space Mountain, Primevil whirl, and Dinosaur I also avoid totally. RNR is my favorite. It is a lot smoother that Space or Thunder but still a little jolty at times. I try to limit it to once or twice a trip and only on a good back day. EE does not bother my back at all. I have gone on it multiple times in a row without any problems at all. Since it is a new coaster I think it is a lot smoother.

I would just suggest that he takes it slow and that he listens to his body. For me, the key is moderation. A few bigger rides a day spaced out and my back is fine. (even splash mountain would kill my back if I rode it 5 times in one day.)

I am a big fan of being proactive instead of reactive. Bring lots of motrin, ice and hot packs. If he gets muscle relaxers or pain pills from his doctor, make sure he has some just in case.

Best of Luck!!