PDA

View Full Version : WDW in January

Trixie1822
06-17-2008, 03:48 AM
Hi everybody !

Usually we go to the World during summer months (july-september).

This year, it isn't possible because my husband begins a new job. So we are planning to go during january or february.

I just wonder the weather in Florida during the winter months. Will we able to go to the water parks ? Is the weather warm enough to enjoy the pool at the hotel ?

And what to pack ? Shorts or pants ? Shirts or long sleeves???

I am very confused:confused:

I live in Switzerland, so I only know the winters with snow !!!!

I try to find a historical weather chart, but I only find with F° and I only use C° !

Thanks in advance for help.

bicker
06-17-2008, 06:25 AM
We visit in January quite often. Swimming is hit or miss. The pools are heated, but the air above them is not! :) We've had some 10 C days, and we've had some 20 C days. We've even occasionally had some 30 C days. So basically bring one of each to wear, and be prepared for everything except snow accumulation and oppressively-sweltering heat; you won't likely have either of those.

JPL
06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I was there this past January and I had everything from shorts to a heavy fleece jacket and needed them all. One night it dropped down to a few degrees above freezing and I had a heavy sweatshirt and the fleece jacket on and was still cold. The next day I actually rented a locker to store my jacket by 11 AM it was in the mid 70's.

As for swimmingthe pools are heated and quite comfortable but the sprint back to your room isn't :freeze:

MickeyMousse
06-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed WDW in January! It was more pleasant weather-wise, rather than sweating at every step you take! We wore shorts and short sleeved shirts during the day-although first thing in the morning we felt a bit chilly!!-but by the afternoon we were more than comfortable.
At night, we switched to pants and a sweatjacket.
I think it's a great time to go. Enjoy!!

ILoveLegos
06-17-2008, 10:40 AM
January is my favorite time to visit, the days usually feel warm compared to NJ winters - so we wear our spring/summer wear then. At night sometimes we have had to switch to wind breakers or sweat shirts to bear the chill. We've been swimming in the colder temps too. We just exit the heated pool and make a beeline to our rooms for a warm shower and a sweatsuit - it was invigorating then we went out to the parks again. The water parks are very uncrowded the cooler the temps, but the water is heated. Just note that one water park is usually closed for refurbs during this time of the year.

Just a side note: I've seen frost and 90 degree temps in central FL in January before, so you should prepare for every senario, but if you don't mind the expense Disney sells jackets, gloves and cooler weather gear if you need it. I've gotten some neat Disney jackets and blankets like that in the past.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
The weather is hit or miss. Some days you can go swimming in January others you can't. I'd pack shorts/t-shirts and pants/sweaters. That way you are prepared for whatever the weather is. Last year we went in Jan. I was the only one who packed for cool and warm weather. My family was cold because 3 days were cold where you needed sweaters or light jackets. However the first and last day were warm enough to go to the pool.

TinkerbellT421
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
DBF and I only go in January, its our fav time to go. We had one day that was "cold" in the sense of the word, but comfortable. We usually pack one or two pairs of pants or jeans, the rest is capris (for me lol) and shorts. Tshirts, I always bring a sweatshirt for at night where it can be a bit chilly but not Switzerland cold lol. Us being from Rhode Island we can know cold, we go down there and it could be the 60's (in F) and be warm as heck and the locals are saying how cold it is lol. Can always depend on what your used to on what you can consider "too warm" or "too cold". Me being a woman I pack for anything, I pack everything but the kitchen sink just not to be caught without something lol. I like to "forget" sweatshirts though so I can always buy a new one ;)

alilprincessmom99
06-17-2008, 02:02 PM
January is very hit and miss as the others havetold you. We went in January this year and it was comfortable during the day and rather chilly at night. Luckily we had packed for any scenario, so we were okay. We didn't go swimming at all, but that's because we are from Florida and to us it was too cool to swim.

Imagineer1981
06-17-2008, 02:05 PM
we went 2 years ago and it was cold...we did not get a chance to swim at all, however the lines are almost nonexsistant and you won't sweat to death

tinksmom02
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree with Imagineer1981...we were there Jan/Feb 2007, the beginning of the week was cold, towards the end of the week it warmed up. We were lucky, we had our winter coats b/c we left frigid temps in NJ. We needed them! By the end of the week we were in capris and shorts.

We didn't swim, but that was because DD had gotten sick. There were lots of people in the pools, though.

I think that if you take a little of everything--cold weather clothes, hot weather clothes--you should be prepared for anything.

Sorry i can't help you with the coversions from F to C!!

Trixie1822
06-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Thank you so much :thumbsup:

I will follow your advises and pack summer outfits and "warm winter" outfits ;).

I now understand that winter in Florida is like spring in Switzerland LOL. That sounds to be great !

Thank you again for the quick replies!

INTERCOT ROCKS !

big blue and hairy
06-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Yup, gotta bring a bigger suitcase so you can pack the bathing suit and shorts and the pants and sweatshirts.

:sulley:

Giselle
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Last January it was cool most of the time. We needed pants, coats, hats and gloves at night and pants and long sleeve shirts during the day. We got in the hot tub, some people were swimming. The water is fine, but when you get out its cold!! January is a wonderful time to go because it is not crowded. A unique thing about January is that we saw seagulls at the parks. Some good things are: you're not as tired because its not too hot and there are no bugs. It will be great!:snowman: